Recent content by GWT&P

1. GWT&P

Storage of Styrene strips

I went cheap and used old Pringles cans. Cleaned, of course.
  2. GWT&P

Bridges, Rail/Road sharing

The old Mississippi River bridge at Vicksburg had a 2 lane highway and tracks sharing the bridge. I remember my mom had fits every time we went over that bridge it was so narrow. Here's a link with pictures of it. http://www.johnweeks.com/lower_mississippi/pages/lmiss08.html
  3. GWT&P

Turnouts directly in front of a station?

Sorry about the link. If you want to see the station & yard, here's the address. 905 E Pacific Ave, Longview, TX 75602
  4. GWT&P

Turnouts directly in front of a station?

There is a crossover directly in front of our Amtrack station. The station was built in the 1930's, I think. http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAuaGF0dGllc2J1cmclMmMrbXMlN2Vzc3QuMCU3ZXBnLjEmYmI9NTIuNzE4MzAyOTU3MTkyJTdlLTU4Ljc0MjQ5MjY3NTUlN2UtMC41NzkwMTAwMjA5MDYyODElN2UtMTM4LjI4MzUwODMwMDU=...
  5. GWT&P

Hey I'm new here

Welcome, Rebekka. There's a great bunch of folks here.
  6. GWT&P

modern industries

Here's the former Schlitz / Stroh's brewery in Longview. It's now a storage/distribution facility. http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pdg9hh732838&scene=37215727&lvl=1&sty=b It's quite large.
  7. GWT&P

What do you do for a living?

Currently, the Estimator for Satterwhite Log Homes, former draftsman for the same. Before that, accounting assistant for a large local independent bank. Before that, assistant manager for Target. Before that, assistant manager then manager for (now defunct) Eckerd Drugs. The list goes on...
  8. GWT&P

asphalt roofing

I've used the "stone" spray paint & a medium grit sand paper for tar & gravel roofs. For the rolled tar paper roofs I use masking tape. You get just a slight texture effect with it.
  9. GWT&P

What State do you live in?

The Lone Star State, & I never want to live anywhere else.
  10. GWT&P

What is your age?

53, but I like being grouped with 35 year-olds!
  11. GWT&P

How do you uncouple your trains?

I use a variation of the bamboo skewer. It's a fireplace match with the strike end cut off and whittled to a point. I like it because it's square and with that little bit of an edge to open the couplers, it works great!
  12. GWT&P

So new to Model Railroading I don't know where to start

I started model railroading 4 years ago at age 49. I'm glad I chose HO over N because of the size. Yes, size matters! Even with HO, some of the parts on rolling stock are tiny, and with my eyesight not like it was 20 years ago, I can't imagine working with parts that small! I started with a...
  13. GWT&P

Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Amazing job! Looks real!
  14. GWT&P

IHC and others Steam Locomotive Quality?

I have a IHC 2-8-2 Mike that I got at a show for about $65. Yes, it's not very prototypical and not well detailed, but it runs good. I also have a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 Mountain I got for about $80 from an ebay store. It runs good, too and the details are a lot better than the IHC. I'm...
  15. GWT&P

Best Hobby Shops on the Web

Larry, I check the same ones as Jim every time I order. You never know who's going to have the best price until you check.

Back