Recent content by GDSmith

1. GDSmith

Switcher pair seen in Savannah, GA

First time that I have seen a switcer IRL .. and there was a 'consisted' pair of them to boot :-)
  2. GDSmith

Which DCC Operating System Do You Use and Why Did You Choose It?

Digitrax .. but I really don't remember how or why. I ordered it online and have been building and expanding it for the 5+ yrs I've been back into trains. I now have have the basic unit plus some UP5's, DS64's, and PR3Xtra. I have two handheld throttles but very seldom use them since I'm...
  3. GDSmith

Power supply switch

(not sure if the off-site link is ok but) ... I used one of these switches (originally had it on an aquarium set-up) for my 120v power to my layout. The Digitrax control box is on one switch, some LEDs on another, and the Woodland Scenic light system (whatever it's called) on the third. (Fourth...
  4. GDSmith

DCC Ready plugs - empty or dummy?

Thanks - now just have to wait for the decoder to arrive
  5. GDSmith

DCC Ready plugs - empty or dummy?

Sometime back in the EARLY Spring I bought an Athearn AC4400 "DCC Ready" loco. Then I broke my leg (OUCH !!!) and couldn't get upstairs to the train room til about a month ago. I did some cleaning and designing before getting back to the loco. Now the loco has an EMPTY 8-pin connector and a...
  6. GDSmith

Cattle Car description

Thanks everyone .. I used "HO scale stock car" and got LOTS of hits for various cars. ;)
  7. GDSmith

Cattle Car description

When I go to search for a "cattle car", what should I be searching for in terms of model railroad car types? I tried a generic "HO Scale cattle car" but didn't find anything of use. Obviously if I go to a train show (next one for me is Mid-April in Hickory, NC) I will "know it when I see it"...
  8. GDSmith

Harper's Ferry WV Railway

hey Tony .. guess where we went over the Thanksgiving holiday :-)
  9. GDSmith

Harper's Ferry WV Railway

Not as historically relevant, but if you do get down there again you should plan a 1/2 day visit to Point of Rocks, MD. They also have a nice train station.
  10. GDSmith

New Location for a Model Railroad?

wow - GREAT story ... immediately brought up memories of working with Daddy on our home projects! Thanks ! :)
  11. GDSmith

Micro Mark scewed up.......

Like FCWilt, I've bought many things from MM and never had a problem. But also, like RailRunner, I've NOT bought things from them because I can find it at a cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) price elsewhere.
  12. GDSmith

How do you fine tune a loco on DCC (CV Adjustments)?

I hadn't seen this option before ... Thanks !
  13. GDSmith

Are model trains a good investment

It is IF you can find someone to pay your asking price
  14. GDSmith

Digitrax UT4D

So your UT4 doesn't look like this and have the rotary knobs ???
  15. GDSmith

Does anyone make DDC wire for Loconet???

I bought all of my cables from Monoprice.com ... cheap cables and decent shipping

Back