Recent content by EightyMac

1. E

Bachmann Locomotive Screw Thread Pitches...?

I'll definitely look into that, but if any clearance (unthreaded) holes in the chassis or other parts are too small for the 10206, I'll still need to figure out the thread pitch of the original screws.
  2. E

Well, here's the thing: Sometimes it's the chassis or tender frame that's threaded, other times it's the body shell that's threaded. In any case, Bachmann's parts list only lists the screws' part ID numbers--it doesn't specify their thread pitch, and I can't tell by looking at the screws...
  3. E

Hi. I am working on making entirely new 3D printed body shells for a Bachmann HO Scale steam locomotive. I intend to attach the bodies to the old chassis, and I will have to tap the holes for the screws after the shells are printed. However, I don't know the thread pitch of the various body...
  4. E

A "Wireless" DCS?

A dummy unit? Uh-uh, not gonna work. In my philosophy, ALL locomotives (including diesel B-Units) should be powered (no dummies allowed) and capable of independent operation (in actual operation however, B-units, like their prototypes, are essentially "slaves" and not used except in a lash-up...
  5. E

A "Wireless" DCS?

(Sighs) Great. Now I have to find radio hardware that not only is higher-voltage but is also two-way (like a walkie-talkie). Worst case scenario, I'd have to build my own wireless hardware completely from scratch, I guess. And while my aversion to using track power may have the benefits of...
  6. E

A "Wireless" DCS?

Again--NOT HELPING!!! I should have been clearer--I am intending to standardize that ALL my large scale locomotives--regardless their original manufacturer--would use MTH's DCS, and the DCS system would be used in conjunction with Tam Valley's transmitters and recievers. In other words, the...
  7. E

A "Wireless" DCS?

Okay. Thank you all for your input. Note that I've talked freely about using MTH's DCS at one point and later SoundTraxx. That's because on one hand, I am planning a large-scale garden railroad, but also at the same time planning an HO layout. For my large-scale layout, I had planned to...
  8. E

A "Wireless" DCS?

I have seen that. Only one problem...these decoders--and virtually all of their other products--cater mostly to fans of modern diesels (SD70ACE, GEVO, etc). In case you didn't know, my subject of interest is steam/early diesel (E-Unit, F-Unit, PA, FA, GP-7, GP-9 and RS-3, S-2). The benefit of...
  9. E

A "Wireless" DCS?

Perhaps I wasn't clear on my definition of a "Wireless" DCS system. By "Wireless" i meant the act of communicating between a throttle and a locomotive via radio signals instead of track signals. On the disadvantages of battery vs. track power, why not set up pseudo-"charging track...
  10. E

A "Wireless" DCS?

NOTE: Since MTH is a multi-scale manufacturer, I am putting this thread here. Mods, if it belongs somewhere else, fell free to move it. Recently, Northwest Short Line launched the S-CAB Radio DCC system, giving users the benefits of DCC without the cantankerous and costly infrastructure...
  11. E

Indian Valley Railroad (from STS): PICS!

Impressive! I, too, am an STS aficonado (it's a shame the show won't come to DVD). I would love to see some more STS fan-work. Might I suggest a tank car lettered for the Snarlyville Toxic Chemical Company (referred to in the episode "Schemer's Special Club")?
  12. E

Diesels with steam generators

Here's how to tell: On E and F Units: Look at the roof on the back of the unit. You may see a mushroom-shaped projection in this area. This is the steam generator's screened air intake vent. The large opening next to it is the exhaust port. There are also three or four safety valves (like...
  13. E

Scratchbuilt Smoke System?

I thought of tissue for insulation because paper (in general) is a poor conductor of heat and cold. I would have also used household insulation, but since the HO smoke unit is the size of a penny, I am not sure any store would sell such small quantities of insulation. One more question about...
  14. E

Scratchbuilt Smoke System?

Hey everybody. I am designing my own scratchbuilt fan-driven smoke system for HO steam and diesel locomotives. A drawing of my unit is attached to this post. Before I go any further, yes, I do realize that smoke is not a very popular feature in HO (and smoke-equipped HO diesels are even...
  15. E

Favorite Train movie

Polar Express. I have even made fan-theories of other engines in the fleet, diesel and electric power, and even freight operations (albeit with the engines rebadged). One of my potential modelling projects is to make a stock HO Berk and detail it like the engine in the movie (embedded...

Back