Recent content by E. McKeesport & Allegheny

1. E

Can you identify this HO boxcar?

This car looks like it would be a real PITA to assemble. Even 40 years ago I wouldn't have had the patience to undertake a project like that. I got this car for free from a hobby shop in Cheswick, PA from the 80 YO owner who was closing his shop after many years. His specialty was brass.
  2. E

The floor is wood without any metal. The underframe and brake gear is fastened with little studs that poke up through the floor. The floor is made of a solid piece of 1/8" thich wood, not luan.
  3. E

The wheels are made of black painted brass pressed onto steel axles. The trucks are made of cast potmetal, and have two tiny spings on each side that "give" to simulate real sprung trucks. My $1400 Minolta 7Hi camera takes macro pictures, but I was unable to get enough detail to show what I...
  4. E

Please identfy this car's maker. Is it old? How much is it worth? It is made of wood with tin pieces overlaid. The walkway and ends of the car are made of brass. The couplers are made of cast potmetal and don't open. Central Georgia road #CG4567. It is put together with tiny brads or staples.
  5. E

Why!

noun The last car on a freight train, having kitchen and sleeping facilities for the train crew. Obsolete. A ship's galley. Any of various cast-iron cooking ranges used in such galleys during the early 19th century. An outdoor oven or fireplace. [Possibly from obsolete Dutch cabuse, ship's...
  6. E

Why!

Crummy So - why is the van or truck used to carry crews out to their train called a "crummy"? I grew up in Washington State, and we always called more than one caboose - cabeese.
  7. E

Yard track distance

I spaced my track 2¼" from rail to rail with no clearance problems with my 89' autoracks:
  8. E

Yard track distance

Track spacing As for model track spacing, it depends on curve radius and length of equipment. In HO, the usual recommendation is 2" spacing, although you can get away with 1.75" on straight track (good for squeezing in one more yard track). On curves, 2.25" will accomodate 89' cars down to...
  9. E

Layout Built In A Trailer?.....

"Railrodeo" created by Irvin P. Saylor http://www.railsofpalatka.org/home The South portion of the depot houses "Railrodeo", created by Irvin P. Saylor. It was billed as the "World's largest mobile HO scale model railroad" when it began touring the East Coast in 1975.
  10. E

For Circus Workers, Home Is Where the Train Is

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/nyregion/11metjournal.html?ref=nyregion About 250 people — performers, train crew members, porters, cooks, stagehands — live year round on the train, one of two that crisscross the country carrying elephants, sequined costumes, stage equipment and the cast and...
  11. E

Do you vist model shops while on vacation?

My wife spots 'em for me! Since I am busy watching out for drivers with Cracker Jacks box driving licenses, my sweet wife is the one who spots train/hobby shops during our travels. :cool: Some are real nice with helpful staff and good stock, while others aren't worth stopping for. I have...
  12. E

Cars & Engine Info... Little Guidance

To give you an idea of value, I bought a similar lot of 29 cars on eBay and paid $1.55 each for them plus shipping. The cars were of mixed manufacturers - Tyco, Life-Like, Athearn, Model Power, AHM, Roco, Roundhouse, Walthers, and Bachmann. Your collection is worth whatever price you can live...
  13. E

Getting a copy of the Ward City Mead & Eckley trackplan

Ward City Mead & Eckley layout Here you go! http://www.chipengelmann.com/trains/Photos/4x8Contest/4x8ContestEntry12.html
  14. E

Local Hobby Shop Versus Internet

My LHS is three miles away in White Oak, PA, but the stock runs more to O-Guage Lionel, RC, and slot car enthusiasts. There isn't much to choose from when it comes to HO, and they don't carry any rolling stock or engines. I visited there a few times, but left empty-handed. The next-closest...

Back