Recent content by Doughless

1. D

Industries That Share Unique Combinations of Freight Cars

An oriented strand board mill might use covered hoppers for plastic resins in, and ship out wrapped OSBs on the center beams. Roseburg Forest Products in Ruston (Simsboro) LA makes those those laminated particle board products. Lots of resins in those boards...
  2. D

Looking to add a smooth running great sounding DCC early era Diesel to my roster

The GP20 is powered by a TURBOCHARGED EMD 567 prime mover. IMO, the Walthers GP20, and all manufacturers of turbocharged EMD prime movers (mainly 1960's and later era locomotives) are nearly impossible to enjoy because of the near dog-whistle annoying pitch intended to represent the...
  3. D

MR and Pelle, Sittin' in a tree...

I used to say the same thing about Bruce Chubb and David Barrow back in the day. MR rides the modelers who produce articles and build layouts. Mindheim and Soeberg are modern era modelers and that may have something to do with the complaints....and popularity.
  4. D

Atlas or Bachmann Alco Switcher?

I've owned both the new Bachmann S2 with Soundtraxx sound value and the new Atlas with Loksound Select. I liked the Atlas so much that I sold the Bachmann. They both sound great, but the Loksound is better. The Bachmann also has the cheapinski old school wiper pick up system that rubs the...
  5. D

Ideas for a New Layout

Just playing around...I don't think this would require a lot of change to your benchwork. It should offer broader curves and longer spurs. The tree areas and tunnels will give you good scene separation. Basically it moves the mine and organizes the yard area better. You can move the...
  6. D

Ideas for a New Layout

I'll take a stab at this. We seem to be struggling with the yard area. Lets just think outside of the box for a bit. How about losing the tunnel on the NW side and sliding the town and mining branch switch up along the curve. Use a Peco or Walthers curved turnout. The siding and town would...
  7. D

So I have this room

David, Pardon me for entering on the thrid page.....but I think you are spending a lot of time designing something that is not using your space the most efficiently. Step back and look again. Chip and Choops have provided you the best alternatives for your space, IMO. Chip's around...
  8. D

Ideas for a New Layout

Didn't see that. Still don't, but that doesn't matter. I envision a train leaving the yard, making several laps around the layout clockwise to build distance, then head into the mine branch and switch things out. Then head back out to the main, do some laps counterclockwise, then head to the...
  9. D

Ideas for a New Layout

The layout you've drawn is probably much better than the 4X8 you had. Its generally a nice plan. But the SW corner is extremely difficult to reach, due to the depth of the sections. And...you have lots of tracked stuffed into that corner. Track should be no more than 30 inches from the edge...
  10. D

Cement and Stone Layout

Does the software account for coupling cars on a curve? Coupling up to a string of cars when they are sitting on a curve is difficult. You generally will need at least 30 inch radius curves to couple reliably, maybe a bit broader. Check your yard to see if you can really operate it with the...
  11. D

Cement and Stone Layout

Yes, those were basically the same observations that I had. Another thought. If he took the striped building, and the buildings to the right of it up to the red circle, and flipped it to the other side of the grey conveyor building, that would open up the entire left side for long straight...
  12. D

Cement and Stone Layout

I'll offer some thoughts: Like the changes to the staging. Accessing a derailment in the middle of the staging yard will be a pain, but you're aware of that. Echoing the comments of another, I think the yard tracks are too short to be useful, as are some of the mine tracks. I think them...
  13. D

FEC paint colors?

The official colors of the FEC are UP Armour Yellow and SF (whatever) Red
  14. D

14'x12'(room)/10'x2.5' layout. What would you do?

Charley, Very interesting layout you are planning. I would say that there would be plenty of examples of wooden grain elevators in rural Iowa in the 60's and 70's. Corrugated steel ones also. Here are links to some Walthers products that would look good on your layout...
  15. D

Decent layout idea for 6' x 12' table?

Looks pretty good. I don't see any real problems. My preference would be to eliminate the switchback, which would provide more scenic separation between your switching areas. I would try to make the remaining spurs longer if possible. But those are suggestions with scenery in mind. Running...

Back