Recent content by DougC

1. D

What makes it a "Train"?

I remember when I was a Sales Rep. for the Burlington Northern Railroad in Portland OR in the 1980s, one of the RR operating people there told me that when just one locomotive had a crew called for it, it was then a train and registered as such in the BN's records. DougC
  2. D

Atlas Turnouts

KBO2 Per your "My problem is not continuity, but shorts at the frog," I had that problem too a couple of years ago with a particular diesel engine. The solution for me was to borrow my wife's clear fingernail polish. I put a little on the tops and inside sides of the metal rails in the frog...
  3. D

Been a long time, layout pictures

Kurt: Nice work man. As info, I was scrolling down your photos and as I came to your Pic #3 of 11 trains lined up, a real funky thought popped into my head - "Think you used enough locomotives there, Butch?" You probably know which movie I tweaked that from. DougC
  4. D

What was your biggest disaster when building your layout?

RICO: I'm sorry to say it man, but your comment of "Yup, 36 cars imprinted in the side of the hill" got me to chuckling out loud for almost a minute visualizing what happened - and it ain't funny! Ouch! Maybe you could/should tell everybody that you were just experimenting/practicing on how...
  5. D

Passenger v Freight?

Jeff: You're welcome. AHHHHH! Digging at history - sometimes frustrating, sometimes fun (rewarding.) DougC
  6. D

Passenger v Freight?

Jeff: You might want to try the mopac.org (Missouri Pacific Historical Society) regarding the M&I. However, as you know the M&I is one of 100s (1000s?) of small and large railroads that are now fallen flags. DougC
  7. D

Passenger v Freight?

JWhite (and others): You might find this a little interesting. Referencing your, "The Missouri and Illinois had trackage rights on the IC through downtown before continuing west and they had a daily passenger train." reminded me of something: When I was braking on the MoPac out of Bismarck MO...
  8. D

How many hours before cleaning your loco wheels?

My 2.67 cents: "How many hours before cleaning your loco wheels?" Well, believe it or not, with one exception* I've never cleaned them in 20 years of operation. A couple of drops of wahl hair clipper oil from a hypo syringe about every 20 to 25 feet or so on each rail head lasts 4 to 6...
  9. D

How to make plastic ho couplers function well in long trains

Chet: Great engines' sound you have there. Neat train. Thank you for your input - a good bit of experience "talking" here. DougC
  10. D

Trent: In general I agree with you. But once in while I enjoy testing something. Willie: I understand where you're coming from. As a matter of fact ALL my cars and engines are equipped with metal KDs or ProtoMax couplers (except my new "testers"). Once in a while though I get the urge and...
  11. D

Rico: You're welcome, and thank you very much for your reply. Yes, you're correct, I was using and referring to the one-piece shank couplers, not the two piece split ones. When you give this a try pls let us know how it's coming along for you. You may even find or dig-up or think-up one...
  12. D

Over the past few months I've purchased some used, mostly Athearn, HO boxcars. I've disassembled, cleaned and tweaked them, installed metal knuckle couplers (KD and/or ProtoMax), and then test run them. While doing so I kept seeing a small container in a box I have that has about 50+ brown...
  13. D

List of boxcar loads 1930s into the 1970s

Thank you all for your insights,details and additional info. I'm still learning. And Dave H., sharp info. DougC
  14. D

Well, sounds like advertising on privately owned railcars has over time (100 years?) been a "sine wave" - i.e. up and down, probably depending on the "formula" from the top - new vice-president says great idea/next vice-president says ouch, don't paint any images on our fleet and paint over the...
  15. D

BCK RR You know, it never occurred to me that painted advertising on the sides of railcars could be considered "loads." The advertising paint couldn't weigh much (comparatively speaking), BUT advertising is still moved about by primarily boxcars. Interesting addition to boxcar "loads."...

Back