Recent content by Dollie's Dad

1. Dollie's Dad

Scratch building a plate girder bridge (warning: lots of pics!)

:) The Micro Mark catalog is to modelers what the B&H catalog is to photographers. Just full of really cool toys. The bridge looks very nice, and you're doing some beautiful work on it. I look forward to seeing future developments.
  2. Dollie's Dad

Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

I've been eating a lot of Subway sandwiches lately, and they let you 'build' them to your specifications. When they get to the jalapeños, I tell them to put lots on. Then, I usually have to tell them to put more on at least two more times. It sure perks up an otherwise tasteless dish. In short...
  3. Dollie's Dad

Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Subscribing to new thread. How's it going, fellas?
  4. Dollie's Dad

Styrene cutting Device?

Add my vote to the metal rule and back of a #11 Xacto blade. The objective is not so much to cut the vinyl, but to scratch it lightly a few times. the blade will be far less likely to wander, especially with the metal rule.
  5. Dollie's Dad

Coffee Shop 31 Feb 12th

I live in one of the areas the snowbirds tend to flock to: Palm Springs, CA area. We do have the heat to contend with in the summer (plus the occasional earthquake), but The months from October through May make up for the hot months. I love it here. And when the heat becomes too much, we can...
  6. Dollie's Dad

The 30th Coffee Shoppe Dec 4th

Hope it goes okay, Jeff. It would be good to know what's going on with that.
  7. Dollie's Dad

The 30th Coffee Shoppe Dec 4th

Subscribing....
  8. Dollie's Dad

DC controller

Just one man's opinion, but if you're thinking of two cabs, you won't spend much more money (if any) to get separate power packs for each one. They will give you more flexibility, and heaven forbid, if one side of your double controller fails, you'll have to replace the whole thing. I also think...
  9. Dollie's Dad

Coffee Shop XXIX

Good job, Rex. Staying married for more than a couple years seems to be a big problem for a lot of people these days. I was a groomsman at a wedding last year, and they're on the rocks already. It seems like people who fall in love quickly also manage to fall out even faster. In January, my...
  10. Dollie's Dad

Coffee Shop XXIX

Arnie's Trains in Westminster had a presentation by a rep from Soundtraxx in their store yesterday. He spent a long time going through some Tsunami programming and operating features. It was very interesting and eye-opening. I'm not much of a classroom kinda' guy, but I actually learned quite a...
  11. Dollie's Dad

a rant

Sounds to me like they drastically overreacted to a well-intentioned mistake. Having said that, allow me to share my own experience as an admin on one of the largest photography forums on the net. The board that gives us the most trouble is the buy/sell/marketplace forum. I have no doubt that...
  12. Dollie's Dad

Coffee Shop XXIX

I've been sidetracked, so no work on the layout for the last few weeks. One of the projects I wanted to get out of the way was refinishing the stock on a 50-year old .22 rifle. I have no idea why it was important to do that except I've been hauling the gun around since I bought it at the Navy...
  13. Dollie's Dad

Coffee Shop XXIX

Send them a reply telling them you're anxious to atone for your grievous transgression, but you will only pay cash. Accordingly, you need a name, mailing address (not a P.O. box), and a phone number.
  14. Dollie's Dad

Coffee Shop XXIX

You do stay busy, don't you?
  15. Dollie's Dad

Coffee Shop XXIX

I enjoy all your weather reports. It's a good reminder that not everywhere is hot and dry. It was 102° yesterday, but it finally looks like our long, hot summer is coming to an end. A cold front is moving in, and we could be as low as 75 on Wednesday, then in the low 80's for the next few days.

Back