Recent content by D. Soppy

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. D

HO scale Bachmann Dual Crossing gates.

Both photos are the same.
  2. D

LED lighting

One resistor on the common lead will work as will a resistor on each of the negative leads . The only time it will make a difference is if the LED's are both on at the same time . I'm using a single LED that is red/green . The red is a lot brighter than the green . I used a higher value resistor...
  3. D

Atlas #200 Snap-relay

You should be able to connect them in parallel to one relay. Posting the figures would be a great help.
  4. D

American Flyer Reverse Loops

If you follow the SCARM plan , you can get away with 2 DPDT switches. Make sure to put the insulated rail joiners where the grey's change color. If you use a DPDT ON-OFF-ON switch , you can put the switch in the center position and that will remove power to the track. It would be useful if you...
  5. D

Ho engines triggering overload light gradually. Help

You have to get access to the motor and look at where the brushes contact the armature .It should be a copper color. If it is black, then you have a carbon buildup. This is usually caused by oil getting onto the brushes.
  6. D

Ho engines triggering overload light gradually. Help

If it only happens to some of your engines , there could be a problem with the motor shorting out due to excessive carbon buildup on the armature. This usually happens in older engines and the commutator can be cleaned with brake clean or similar degreasing solvent. If it happens to all your...
  7. D

Need A Wiring Diagram For my Turnout Control Panel.

That would work. Run the power from your power supply into the A & B terminals. Then connect the 2 center terminals of switch 1 to A1 & B1 of the terminal block . Connect the center terminals of switch 2 to A2 & B2 of the terminal block. Continue on till you have all the switches connected.
  8. D

A terminal block would work great. Check this one on Amazon OONO 16 Amp 2x12 Position Terminal Block Distribution Module for AC DC If your Kato switch has 3 terminals you can use a SPDT switch . If it has only 2 wires , then you need a DPDT switch. Check outthis Utube video for the DPDT wiring.
  9. D

All you need is a SPDT momentary switch for each of your turnouts. Connect one terminal of your power supply to the com of your turnout and the other to the center terminal of the switch. Connect the 2 remaining terminals of your turnout to the 2 remaining terminals on the switch. Repeat the...
  10. D

Weekend Workbench: May Edition

I've been working on my control board for my layout. The relays will control the turnouts and the signals. The "H" bridges will be controlling the power to the track. I will be using 2 "Arduino Megas" for controlling the relays and H bridges. I'm running the old atlas brass snap track and my...
  11. D

Train layout table

Rotating the table is a much better idea. They do the same idea for rotating automobile chassis when restoring vintage vehicles. The advantage of rotating is you can work on it from both sides so depending on which way it is flipped , it will be at a good working height.
  12. D

Miniature lights for turnouts and control panel switches

True , but most LED's have a low PIV (max reverse voltage) around 5 volts or so and they may be damaged if this voltage is exceeded , which would happen when using AC above 5 volts. The exception is 2 lead bi color LED's .
  13. D

Miniature lights for turnouts and control panel switches

You might be better going with LED lamps. With LED's , you have to use a DC supply and the proper polarity is required. A small "wall wart" supply would easily work . Your atlas relays can easily switch the power for the LED's. You could also get a AC-DC converter and connect it to your AC...
  14. D

Loco motor "dead spot"?

You could try taking the motor apart and cleaning the brushes and commutator with brake clean or similar degreaser . After doing that check for sparking on the commutator when it is running. If there is excessive sparking , chances are one winding has opened up . A little grease or oil on the...
  15. D

Switching Saturday

That's quite the load of logs. With a load like that , how much does each car weigh ?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.