Recent content by chessie_system3

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

Ok so out of curiosity if I were to do a flat table what style bench work should I use? L girder? I do have a jigsaw so sub roadbed is an option.
  2. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

I have considered using foam. I wasn't sure of it's advantages over plywood or what the issues would be if I used it.
  3. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

I have not thought of this. I have read up on such things. However it may be an option.
  4. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

I find that 48" at my age is ok. My current layout is 36". I work on it just fine. Then again I'm young still as well. Now I use 1/2 plywood as well. That's what I used for my current layout. The previous layout was 3/8. It warped to the point I couldn't run my trains anymore. So I upgraded. I...
  5. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

Toot you make it out that I need to build a battleship layout. 3/4 ply is heavy! I suppos it wouldn't warp as badly if at all.
  6. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

I don't mind the duck under aspect. I am planning on raiding the layout height for easier access. I figure if I can fit under my current layout then a higher duck under shouldn't be too bad.
  7. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

I had wanted to purchase all the materials today before the storm hit. With current prices of lumber I was afraid to invest that much for fears of it all warping again. Is there a sure fire way to avoid warping? Is it something I'm going to have to learn to deal with?
  8. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

Which it has before. The trains aren't big fans of it however. That's why I chose to use 1/2 inch plywood instead.
  9. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

I typically use 1/2 plywood. I have went as small as 3/8 plywood.
  10. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

Here's a sketch I did up. I had wanted to do L girder framework. However the sketch I have done up is open grid. Not 100% sure how well it will work out. Any thoughts?
  11. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

Willie the planned expansion or at least how I invision it would be left from right. I think the right side has ample enough space to sustain itself as is. The issue I have is figuring out how to set up the frame work for it. You are in the know of what location this layout will be placed in. I...
  12. chessie_system3

How to frame this?

I have started planning my next layout. I have hit a roadblock. How would one frame this? I want to keep the sections separated for expansion purposes. I don't plan on using the track plan just the base of the layout only. I have even drawn this out on graph paper and still can't figure out how...
  13. chessie_system3

Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Morning fellers. Nothing new to really report on. I posted a video up of my warp on the layout. It the reason I've started planning my next build. Will stay away from cheap 2x4s this time. Another winter storm is headed this way. Should hit Sunday. Maybe I can make something happen before then...
  14. chessie_system3

Morning fellers. Back to work today. Installed Kadee couplers on the three hoppers I put together yesterday. Now to add on some metal wheels and they are service ready. The new set I purchased have the awful athearn couplers. I am not a fan of those. I'd rather run bachmann ez mate couplers than...
  15. chessie_system3

Rainy day today. Talk about a flip in the weather. Seeing as how the weather wants to be nasty. I figure I'll work on some side projects today. Built up three athearn 34' hoppers. They have been sitting in the box for quite some time. I've started buying up smaller hoppers for their size. Seeing...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.