Recent content by caellis

1. caellis

nce decoders

You are being too rough.
  2. caellis

Model train controlled via brain-machine interface

WOW! And to think some people are afraid to convert from DC to DCC!
  3. caellis

What brand of track and why?

I use Atlas 83 #4 and #6 turnouts (About 30). I also use NCE SwitchIt's in conjunction with Tortise machines for throwing the turnouts. Why SwitchIt's? They allow me to place momentary push button switches at locations close to the turnouts and also permit using the CAB/Controller to throw...
  4. caellis

Re-soldering?

Sounds to me like you did not have the rail hot enough. If the rail was clean before the first soldering you should be able to re-solder it. I would hold the tip of the iron against the RAIL and then apply solder on the rail/joiner.
  5. caellis

DCC Circuit Breakers...

The problems with the light bulb method is: 1) It does not shut down the power to the shorted block/district. So it continues to draw current. And you need to break the blocks into small sections if you are going to have multiple engines in one block. Multiple engines may draw enough current...
  6. caellis

I got a new toy

While I don't have a Ryobi saw I do have a Sears. However, I have also owned several band saws in my life. While some do cut better than others, how straight they cut is generally determined by the way it is adjusted. Blade tension and the adjusters that hold the blade are a couple of areas...
  7. caellis

DCC Circuit Breakers...

When I converted to DCC about a 18 months ago I installed three circuit breakers. One in each of my power districts, aka blocks. I turned on all block switches and have run merrily ever since. While circuit breakers are not required in DCC, as the DCC hardware contains its own fast acting...
  8. caellis

DCC strange-ness

Have you had any electrical storms in your area lately? I also protect my DCC system with a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that also protect against most low level lightning. Have never had a problem in 18 months.
  9. caellis

Atlas Custom Line turnout help

Hello William. I use Atlas turnouts both #4 & #6's. The only time I have had problems like you describe is/was with my IHC loco's that did not have RP25 wheel flanges (see NMRA). I had to grind down those wheel flanges and the problem went away. My IHC is a 08-0 shifter built around 2003...
  10. caellis

Atlas #4 Turnouts

The Atlas turnouts are DCC friendly. However, I do solder jumpers around the hinges on the turnout. Just makes me feel more confident about their longevity.
  11. caellis

Replacement Ihc Wheels

Does anyone know a source for replacing ALL the wheels on IHC loco's. The IHC loco's I have are not RP25 compliant(flanges too high/deep). They were good runners on code 100 so I would like to convert if not too costly. I operate on code 83 track now and have not been able to run my IHC...
  12. caellis

Don't mess with old people

That was very funny. I also remember that it was in a Hugh Grant TV show many years ago... still funny!
  13. caellis

Amazing the stupidity of advertisers Operation Life Saver

GM/Cadillac has been advertising for several years now with their themes usually aimed at retarded customers. And GM wonders what their problem is!
  14. caellis

Food for thought

I guess I may be odd man out on this read. While most of what he said didn't make a lot of sense to me I did agree somewhat with his opinon of forum postings. I agree SOME of the postings on ALL RR forums are pretty trashy.
  15. caellis

Golden White LEDs

I find it very easy to tint the white LEDs using some clear and orange/yellow acrylic. Just mix a couple drops and coat the LED.

Back