Recent content by andgott

1. A

Z scale layout in a Suitcase

Thanks! It was a lot of fun to build, and is even more fun to show off :) -Andrew
  2. A

Thanks, It has been fun! I'm trying to decide what to do next- I don't think it's going to be Z scale, though, I'm still cross-eyed :)
  3. A

I'm just about done with this one! This started as a way for me to keep busy when I had some down time after surgery. I had a z scale train set put away in the closet, and I decided it was time to do something with it. I've still got some areas to detail, and I need to get the electrical work...
  4. A

Some new buildings- Using a silhouette cameo

I was a little confused by this at first, too. To use DXF files, you need to upgrade the software. The software that is comes with doesn't allow the import of other file types, only the silhouette files can be used. You can create and save the files with the included software, but it's not as...
  5. A

Those were .020, and I had to do some fine trimming to get them out of the sheet. I didn't do them with .010" because I didn't have any on hand- I do now, and they cut out perfectly. In a larger scale- Something like N or one of the other HUGE scales- You would have far less problem. Z scale is...
  6. A

'1943, Somewhere in England', N scale Monster Layout

There would be a SLIGHT learning curve, but given your skill level and technical ability I don't think it would be an issue! You could drive a servo or motor from the controller, and with a few taps of a keyboard you can program whatever parameters you want it- You could control the speed, stop...
  7. A

The machine is available all over the place- I bought one for my wife from Amazon, it ran about $270. They make a smaller one that's about $110 or so, but the cutting width is limited. The CAD program can be anything from FREE to very $$$. I already have AutoCad and Adobe Illustrator, which...
  8. A

Actually, the machine cuts through the thinner material (0.015" and less)- But not QUITE on thicker. This is a link to the machine- http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/ It is intended for crafters- Scrapbooking, etc- But is VERY adaptable to other hobbies... The software that it comes with allows...
  9. A

'1943, Somewhere in England', N scale Monster Layout

Very nice work, as usual! I love the animations... Have you ever considered using microcontrollers rather than micro switches? They would give you a lot of control over your effects, and probably save you money... Not to mention frustration. -Andrew
  10. A

I love scratch building, except for the most tedious part- cutting everything out of styrene. Anyone who's ever cut window after window out of a sheet of styrene knows exactly what I'm talking about! It's especially 'painful' in Z scale, since everything is so small. So, I decided to 'cheat'. I...
  11. A

Z Scale suitcase layout

I got the couplers installed on the caboose that I built. It was my first time installing Z-scale couplers... Man, was THAT fun! They are TINY. I had to drill a .038" hole, tap it, then screw in the couplers... But- It was all worth it when I ran the new caboose around the track for the first...
  12. A

Z Scale suitcase layout

Thanks. The Indian is made up of multiple pieces of styrene, laminated together, then carved with an exacto knife and sandpaper. Handlebars are 26 ga wire. You can see how it's built a little better from this angle-
  13. A

Z Scale suitcase layout

Well, It's not a Harley- But it has two wheels... Here is a 1947 Indian Chief- That WAS a challenge... But fun! Now I need to make a biker to ride it :)
  14. A

Z Scale suitcase layout

I got quite a bit more done- I finally got the tracks cleaned up after ballasting. Z scale and ballast is a bad combo- But I got it all working again. I also cleaned up the rails. Then I finished all the wiring. The lighting is wired, and the switch is wired. I will be adding more lighting...
  15. A

Z Scale suitcase layout

I might have to try a motorcycle... Might be fun!

Back