Recent content by adamsdp

1. A

Layout height?

Thanks for the additional replies and giving me more food for thought. I am going to mock up a couple of different heights and experiment with an adjustable chair and stool.
  2. A

Layout height?

Thanks for all the replies and good information! I am thinking the 48" height is the way to go. As mentioned, probably easier to shorten the legs then lengthen them if I find out I want it lower. The majority of opinions point to 48" over 40" as well. This is my first layout so appreciate...
  3. A

Layout height?

I am planning to order legs from Siever's for my 2' x 8' layout and they come in 40 or 48" heights. I initially thought the 40" would be plenty tall and I could sit while operating the layout, but after reading some older forum posts, am leaning towards the 48". It seems that 48" would put the...
  4. A

Looking for wire source and type

Thanks for all the replies! Sound like a lot of good options and will use stranded for main power.
  5. A

Looking for wire source and type

I am getting ready to wire my layout and wanted to see where others have sourced there wires for powering their layout. I looked on Amazon for 14-16 gauge wire and didn't see any solid wire. Nearly all the wire I found was stranded and tinned copper. I remember reading somewhere that solid...
  6. A

Tree size - ho scale

Thanks for the replies and helpful to put things in perspective. I went ahead and ordered the trees and think they will end up look good. Thanks!
  7. A

Tree size - ho scale

I am looking at purchasing trees for a 2' x 8' switching layout and received recommendations from Woodland Scenics that their premium and classic ready made trees are their most realistic. The trees I selected (fall scene) from these two lines range in size from 2.5" - 5" which in scale terms...
  8. A

Freight car selection for switching layout

Thanks! They look really nice. I will keep an eye out on ebay for some.
  9. A

The Athearn metal line cars look great. Where would be a good place to look for some?
  10. A

Thank to all for the very helpful information! I am going to modify the order - change the reefer, look for shorter flat car, change the logging car, etc. Very nice looking cars that were posted and going to look for some similar. A lot to learn and appreciate the help!
  11. A

I am planning to put an order in tomorrow for some freight cars to start building a collection for a switching layout. I already have the structures listed below and tried to figure out what type of cars would serve each structure. I am new to model railroading and came up with the list with...
  12. A

Kadee couplers with Athearn cars - not working properly

Thanks for the help. I did buy the 4 pack of coupler so have some to try. I am planning to give the whisker couplers a try and also order some new freight cars to hopefully see how they should work.
  13. A

Thanks for the additional replies and I will try a graphite lubricant. Great to know about the pins being undersized in the Athearn blue box cars and how to remedy the issues. Sounds like a good fix. Do you use the Kadee #242 universal coupler box? I will also make sure the hose isn't...
  14. A

Thanks for the advice and good to know you find the Rix tool useful. I have a height gauge so will check that. I think one of the couplers in binding up in the coupler box or the coupler spring isn't set properly. I am going to try a whisker coupler to see if that makes a difference.
  15. A

Thanks for the help and I am using the Kadee no 5 couplers. I retried them yesterday on a straighter stretch of track and they were working about 50% of the time. One of the couplers doesn't return consistently to center or move to the edge of the magnet when over the magnet so thinking there...

Back