Recent content by 747flier

1. 7

Brass HOn3 steam models drivers and pilot wheels

I have a United K-27 and so far runs OK on PECO Code 70, along with two BLK Stn K27's. I even have several KATO HO's I have converted to GE90 locos which have HO depth flanges and they work OK.
  2. 7

Narrow Gauge Diesel conversion from HO.

Wa Hail, here is O'le 96 tooting around the oval.
  3. 7

I like doing my own models and have designed and printed and using both GE90's in original and rebuilt configurations. Currently I have three running and one unmodified KATO chassis to convert. I've had better luck with Soundtraxx mobile decoders rather than the Digitraxx ones I started out...
  4. 7

Improving Our Steam Engines Performance

I work in HON3, White Pass and Yukon. I have a couple of lovely and expensive Blakstone K27's but my real workhorses are KATO NW2's that I narrow gauged into GE 90 Series Shovel noses. Those locos can pull the wallpaper off the wall, having huge dual flywheel motors and a solid metal chassis...
  5. 7

My best runner, ole 96 ground to a halt the other day. The Cliffs Notes version is a piece of grit got through the open bottom of the truck and jammed the gears. This stressed one of the couplings which then started to slip on the shaft. Complete disassembly and popped the bottom off of the gear...
  6. 7

Narrow Gauge rolling stock 3D printing.

I borrowed a couple of couplers to try these out. the secret to having a good running 3D printed car is careful alignment ot the truck bolsters. The printing process will not always have these perfect and of course later alignment is essential fro both ends. A little more difficult to...
  7. 7

Ordered a bunch more trucks but no couplers showed up. Oh well, tried again! I designed and printed two WP&YR 1200 series drop center flatcars. Under the drop center is a steel bar stock which adds very low weight. Initial test behind the loco went well. WP only had three of these so...
  8. 7

Ho engine leds

Hard to believe it doesn't matter which way you wire the LED's as they are a diode which by definition only pass current in one direction.
  9. 7

How to Make Trees and Shrubs

The large scale trees have come out quite convincing!
  10. 7

55 Gallon Drums

Ralph Nader was rightly criticized for his comments, but it pretty much did in the unique auto's sales. The issue was with the swing axel design which was shared by the VW Bug and an army jeep of the era. Both of which could exhibit unpleasant consequences if mis handled. In the name of...
  11. 7

Kriegsloks building shops

That's a Big AZ caveman motor! Bigger even than the KATO motors in my Narrow Gauge Diesel conversions though those have room for a flywheel on both ends. Should be a great puller if you can get enough weight in it! Fun project! Cheers: Tom
  12. 7

55 Gallon Drums

The Corsair is deemed 'Unsafe at any speed" according to Ralph Nader so at least it's parked! Nice car models. I have printed great numbers of 55 gallon barrels as well as 5 Gallon Jerry cans. The drums are hollow such that I can glue "liquid lead" (fine shot) inside for use as needs...
  13. 7

Comment by '747flier' in media 'IMAG0179'

Nice track work!
  14. 7

Some things don't go well, I tried several times to order directly from Kadee but never got any email response that my order went through. As opposed to receiving a sophisticated joystick form my NYC Fav B&H Photo which arrived in Alaska from less than 24 hrs after I ordered it for the same...
  15. 7

Digitrax throttle

I don't remember the CV number but one can set up the throttle to give a higher starting voltage to locos that need it. Mine fortuitously all start out with a nice slow crawl with just a little throttle movement.

Back