1/87th Vehicles

I'm looking for a place to buy detail part to add to construction and mine equipment that will improve the look of the model from a toy looking truck to a finer model. I don't have the money to buy a $100+ vehicle so I would like to buy some that I can detail to look even better. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Dave

If you are looking to build/add detail to your pickup trucks and/or tractor trailers, then go with products from A-line, Plano Model Products ~ (GOOD stuff/photo-etched not plastic), Promotex/Herpa, LoneStar Models, Denis Aust ...etc. I can't afford $100+ either. I've found GREAT deals on ebay, but I've also bought many items from; Zycon Models, Truck Stop Models, Walthers and Promotex.

Still no Matchbox trucks in Wal*mart or Target, besides the one mixer at Target.

I did find them at a higher priced specialty toy store in a mall, but I wasn't up to paying $7 per truck when they're only $4 at Target...

My newest toy and it is one that I thought I would never find (especially for $10.00)

auto_car.jpg

For those of you that don't know what it is.This is a Walthers Auto Carrier which was hard to find when it was new .I've seen these go for as high as $75.00 on the bay.I paid $10.00 for this one in a local hobbyshop yesterday. :D

Catt, That was a great find. I remember when Walthers had those in their catalog. Seems like it was about 10 yrs ago or there abouts.

My newest toy and it is one that I thought I would never find (especially for $10.00)

auto_car.jpg

For those of you that don't know what it is.This is a Walthers Auto Carrier which was hard to find when it was new .I've seen these go for as high as $75.00 on the bay.I paid $10.00 for this one in a local hobbyshop yesterday. :D

Walthers kit added to an Atlas tractor?

Walthers kit added to an Atlas tractor?

Nope Walthers ready to roll the ATLAS tractor was part of it right from Walthers.

Man, nice auto carrier. I've been close to spending the $150+ on the Lonestar one...

Josh if I had the money I would have one of the Lonestar ones myself.I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the $9.95 price tag on this baby.

I was looking thru 1 of my hobby distributors on line & found this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lonestar makes a kit for there autorack that is really cheap that is the brass pieces that you can build for yourselves. It would be far cheaper and you would still end up with a very nice model. Could even build a few and sell them as other companys than the one they chose. I would rather have one with a Pete

Larry and Mark, those are pretty nice cars at a good price. The only problem is that they only have the Vision light bar and then only in red, which limits the autheticity of the particular car. The CHP unit, for example, should have a red and blue light bar.

Here is the actual production cars and I am not sure if they have the correct light bars but this is what I have.

MPPolicecars.png

I was just looking over the selection at http://www.policecarmodels.com/modelpower.html and it looks like they now have all red, all blue, and red and blue Vision lightbars, so the CHP version now has the correct light bar. If you're modeling the late 90's, these would be pefect. Unfortunately, the Vision light bar has fallen out of favor rapidly because of the high maintenance costs and high current draw when the bar is activated. LED light bars are now becoming the standard although there are still a fair number of CHP and NYPD cars equipped with the Vison. I wish Model Power had offered the same models with the newer LED bars similar to the ones on the Ricko Dodge Charger. It makes it even tougher for modern HO police car modelers because the only replacement light bars offered are the Visions and the even older low profile Twinsonics and Whelan strobe bars.

Back