N Scale Iron Ore Dock

usmc2861

Hello to anyone who reads this,
I am planning a layout for the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad in Michigan. This RR delivers Iron Ore to shipping via an Iron Ore Dock on Lake Superior.
After many long hours of cruising the information highway looking for an N Scale ore dock model, all I received for my efforts is road-rash. I could find one or two in HO, but none in N Scale.
The next logical train of thought I had was: I can build one!
Again another road-rash trying to locate information on dimensions, plans, or anything I could find. Luckily on another forum I found a gent that is building one also, but his is a wood adventure. The one I am modeling is concrete.
The gentleman did reference a great book :cool: "GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY-Ore Docks of Lake Superior":cool:by Douglass D. Addison, Sr.
I bought a copy, and also a copy of :cool: "Michigan-Ontario Iron Ore Railroads" :cool: by Patrick C. Dorin. I would recommend both if you are considering a layout built around the Iron Ore business.
On to the "why I am reading this" part...
Attached are my budding plans for your use if you are considering building an ore dock, or if you are just an engineering type that likes to spend time working on this sort of thing.
The plans are dimensioned in feet for prototype. They are drawn to N Scale, using my trusty ruler and calculator. If they are unprintable or hard to read, e-mail me and I will send you PDF files.

View attachment 9631

View attachment 9632

View attachment 9633

View attachment 9634

The first section - covers the support, columns, and ore bins. I am currently working on the dock surface dimensions/layout and will add those when I am reasonably satisfied with them - - - stay tuned.
I will be building 1/2 of the prototype dock as a full walk around. It will be roughly 60" long,6" wide. It will have 100 ore bins, 50 to a side. The dock will hold 100 ore cars on 4 tracks (maxed out). The end trestle in the harbor will house the tortoise switch machine and will be DCC operated. The dock is being planned with a center tube to house wiring for lights/track.
My course of action is to work them all up on paper, and then build a section to test it all out. I am thinking of creating molds for the columns / bin sections and using grout as "concrete". It is fine in nature and can be colored to match the staining of iron ore. The bins will be styrene round fronts, either molded myself or bought if I can locate the right size.

Last but not least - any input is welcome but please remember: I am not an engineer, I do not play one on TV, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I am either half crazy or half in the bag, take your pick.
Section two to follow in near future
Dave :eek:

Welcome to the forum Dave!

From those drawings, it looks like you know exactly what you want your model rr to do, you've got a leg up on many of us LOL! I model the 'consumption' end, where the ore boat gets unloaded - i.e. a steel mill. And it's in HO, so it uses up a major chunk of my garage. You'll be able to fit a lot more with N scale.

Have you heard about the Yaho 'Ore-Rail' group? If not, here's the link: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/OreRail/?yguid=215103927

...Lots of good info and photos there!

Hello to anyone who reads this,
I am planning a layout for the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad in Michigan. This RR delivers Iron Ore to shipping via an Iron Ore Dock on Lake Superior.
After many long hours of cruising the information highway looking for an N Scale ore dock model, all I received for my efforts is road-rash. I could find one or two in HO, but none in N Scale.
The next logical train of thought I had was: I can build one!
Again another road-rash trying to locate information on dimensions, plans, or anything I could find. Luckily on another forum I found a gent that is building one also, but his is a wood adventure. The one I am modeling is concrete.
The gentleman did reference a great book :cool: "GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY-Ore Docks of Lake Superior":cool:by Douglass D. Addison, Sr.
I bought a copy, and also a copy of :cool: "Michigan-Ontario Iron Ore Railroads" :cool: by Patrick C. Dorin. I would recommend both if you are considering a layout built around the Iron Ore business.
On to the "why I am reading this" part...
Attached are my budding plans for your use if you are considering building an ore dock, or if you are just an engineering type that likes to spend time working on this sort of thing.
The plans are dimensioned in feet for prototype. They are drawn to N Scale, using my trusty ruler and calculator. If they are unprintable or hard to read, e-mail me and I will send you PDF files.

View attachment 9631

View attachment 9632

View attachment 9633

View attachment 9634

The first section - covers the support, columns, and ore bins. I am currently working on the dock surface dimensions/layout and will add those when I am reasonably satisfied with them - - - stay tuned.
I will be building 1/2 of the prototype dock as a full walk around. It will be roughly 60" long,6" wide. It will have 100 ore bins, 50 to a side. The dock will hold 100 ore cars on 4 tracks (maxed out). The end trestle in the harbor will house the tortoise switch machine and will be DCC operated. The dock is being planned with a center tube to house wiring for lights/track.
My course of action is to work them all up on paper, and then build a section to test it all out. I am thinking of creating molds for the columns / bin sections and using grout as "concrete". It is fine in nature and can be colored to match the staining of iron ore. The bins will be styrene round fronts, either molded myself or bought if I can locate the right size.

Last but not least - any input is welcome but please remember: I am not an engineer, I do not play one on TV, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I am either half crazy or half in the bag, take your pick.
Section two to follow in near future
Dave :eek:
Hi, Do you still have the plans available?

Why are all the attachments coming up with KATY locos? AND ... some very ugly ones at that! LOL

Back