Coffee Shop Part VIII

Good morning.

Getting cool down here in my neck of the woods. That barbed wire fence between here and the north pole has fallen down!

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446 12/23/2007

Wind Chill: 24°F
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 20°F

So Far Today
High: 38°F
Low: 30°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 31mph NW

Today High: 52 Sunny. Much cooler. Highs in the lower 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 28 Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Light and variable winds.

Hi everyone! The Temp waitresses sure bring on the holiday atmosphere (warmth):p :p

We are having a great weekend with our daughter and family. After talking about how long since we have been together, it turns out to be 3 years instead of two. (WAY TO LONG!) Of course a 10 hour drive separates us, but them getting settled in a new house, work, and other things have really messed up visits. We all agreed not to let that happen again.

Tomorrow afternoon/evening will be our big day, as they will have to hit the road Christmas day to travel down to Florida to see SIL's brother. Also, the wife has to work:( .

You guys ranting about SSecurity and all, how about this: for we Alabama state retirees' cost of living raise (COLA), they gave us a lump sum based on number of years service. In other words, after we have spent this "bonus" we are not making a dime more next year than now. I HATE this @#*(&%^! state government!!!
Wow! I feel so much better now.:D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon everyone!

53°F here in Geneva right now with 20 MPH winds. All told not a really bad day, but they are predicting that we could get some gust over 50MPH this afternoon. Packed day this morning at the second service at church. It was the childrens Christmas pageant and everyones Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles came to see it. I counted 327 in the church (that has a limit of 325 legally)....... I am head usher for the month of December and these services pose the problem of setting up extra chairs for people and finding an extra usher to take the offering in the balcony (which isn't normally used). Somehow it always works out. I get to do December as none of the other deacons seem to want it.

All set for the "Jolly Old Elf" to make his appointed rounds tomorrow night.
"The stockings are hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St, Nicholas soon will be there."

This will be my Granddaughters first Christmas so I am planning on having a lot of fun this year. I'm sure next year will be even better!

Philip, I hope your wife can make it downstairs for the big day. Good to hear she is doing well!

Afternoon, everyone. Beautiful day here in Dixie, a little cool at 51 degrees and breezy but the sun is shining brightly. We had our "big" storm go through last night, the same one that had you guys up north rocking and rolling. We did get .31 inches of rain that lasted about an hour and 30 mph wind gusts. Once again, Jeffrey has stolen our rain and is filling that big reservoir behind his house so he can sell to us at big money this summer. :)

Ray, it's nice you had such a big crowd at church and that you are willing to do the ushering job to squeeze everyone in. I hope the comng torm holds off until everyone get to sit down for dinner. I can imagine how much fun it will be with your granddaughter. I'm still waiting for a grandchild. There's something about having kids around at Christmas that makes it more special.

Rex, those waitresses Bill keeps finding look beter every day. I think I'll take the large coffee and two donuts from the one in the white outfit. :) I'm glad you and your daughter and family get to spend at least part of Christmas together. At least she does't have to worry about bad weather driving down to florida. I agree, three years is too long, we all ony have so much time left on earth to be together.

As for the retirement issue, I think the fair thing would be for both Social Security and state pension plans to offer the option of getting the whole thing as a lump sum. I know I can do a better job of making money than can SS, which does nothing. OTOH, it's our SS and pension money that keeps the Federal and Stae governments afloat so I don't see that happening anytime soon. :(

Jeffrey, you deserve to colder weather for stealing our rain. :D

Phillip, LOL. I've actually told patients husband's this about pain meds to make sure their wives get it on time and I think some of them believed me. At least they had bigger smiles on thir faces when I saw them again. :eek: I do hope your wife gets to make it out of bed and downstairs with the family for Christmas Dinner. Even if it puts her in a little more pain, it will be worth it and you can just feed her another percocet and smile sweetly at her.

Paul, I'm a little bummed out that it now looks like Cleveland has almost no chance for the playoffs unless Pittsburgh loses both games and Cleveland wins both games. Even then, I think it's a tie in overall record and division ecrd so I don't know what happens then. Neither team is that good but the Steelers seem to fading as the Browns have been getting stonger. Oh, well, the Bills are out if too so at least you can enjoy seeing how many balls end up in the stands that were meant for a receiver down field. :)

Maxi, I forgot to comment on your picture of that RSAF Tornado on takeoff. Great shot at just the right moment. It sure looks like those Saudi pilots have faith in that airplane to be going wheels up at 10 feet off the ground.

Philip Hang em high,,, could do with some of that justice round here.

Having a break from soldering 44 feeder wires onto the track,

Hey cheeky girls,,, how about some milkshake

Phillip, what an odd monument. I wonder who put it up and if it was some kind of warning for white men to stop killing Indians? Never seen anything quite like that before.

Jim, I thought it was quite odd. Guess they don't take kindly to racists around here!

Steve, WOW.....thats all I can say..........WOW!

12-24-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
xmas_sleigh.png

BreakfastMenu.png

Good morning folks

It was 39 F as I headed onto the empty streets this morning. Our high is supposed to be around 49 F. A big chance from yesterday when it was 61 F when went out. I am in work for a half day. I like coming in today since it is quiet and I can catch up on a few things with little or no disturbances. Tonight we will go to Christmas Eve services at church where my daughter will be playing the flute as part of the Youth Orchestra.

We survived the mall, Friday night. We waited about an hour and a half to see Santa. Yesterday we had to do some last minute shopping since my son changed a few things on his list for Santa. We did go and see National Treasure, Book of Secrets on Saturday.

I finished weathering the flatcar decks. I still have to go over them with a wash but I’ll do that when I weather the rest of the car. I now have four more to do. I began weathering the hood of the coil cars and also their wheels.

I hope everybody has a good day and a Merry Christmas.

Good morning Coffee Clubbers

Yesterday we hosted our annual mini-family-reunion Christmas party. The Alabama relatives are visiting and will be in the area thru Friday. I've finished all of my Christmas shopping, but not the wrapping...and a few of the gifts are strangely shaped and do not fit easily into boxes, oh well...

I discovered on Saturday why I hardly ever operate. The main line trackage works fine, but the steel mill track - most of it leftover from an older layout - is full of problems. If I had the money and the time to rip out all the Atlas turnouts and install FastTrack handlaid ones, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But with so many other unfinished projects, I simply find it easier to stop the train and apply the 0-5-0 approach to correct that sporadic yard derailment.

Few of our visitors ventured out to the garage to watch my trains. I only did continuous mainline running, and used only my smoothest-running locos (Kato SD38-2's, an Atlas Gold CW40-8 and a P2K SD50).

Merry Christmas everybody in case I don't get back in here within the next 24 hours!

Good Morning All ! Just stopped in for a quick cup of coffee . Have to get out and blow the driveway out of that pesky Lake effect white stuff. just what I need with a house full of gueasts coming and have of the work done. Well gotta get out and enjoy it all . Take care and have a nice day !!!

tissle2.png

Good Morning all! And Merry Christmas!

daffy-AGOL.png

It's a beautiful morning here in central Indiana, though a bit chilly.

78125_G.jpg

Christmas Eve: variable clouds, cold with a few snow showers - high: 30
Tonight: clearing skies, cool - low: 22
Christmas Day: mostly sunny, not as cold - high: 42

lights.png

So, who's ready for tomorrow? The bigger question......who's not!?!

christmas_bugs_bunny-AGOL.png

I hope each and every one of you have the merriest of Christmas' this year. And please remember the reason for the season!

Christmas-train-2001.png

Good Morning everyone!

Twas the Night Before Christmas.......
And the train room has water on the floor!

Luckily it doesn't get very deep as long as the sump pump works. But still annoying. The inch of rain we got yesterday along with the 4 or 5 inches in snow on the ground all melting, completely flooded the lawns across the street from me and had my sump cycling every 2 minutes last night. I haven't been down there yet, so I don't know what it is doing today.

Anyway, to each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas or whatever you happen to celebrate. Be safe in your travels and enjoy yourselves!

I will officially start Christmas this evening by being head usher again for the Christmas Eve Service. I will also be subbing in the Bell Choir. Then home for a tall glass of eggnog with a goodly dose of Myers Dark Rum mixed in. Then Christmas Day will be Breakfast at my Son's house (time to play with my Granddaughter!). Then off to Dinner (with my Son's family again) in the early afternoon at my Sister's house in Canandaigua. That reminds me, I better start cooking up the squash I am bringing for that.

Edit: Took a look downstairs in the Train Rooms. Very damp down there. Emptied the dehumidifier, turned on the heat, and spun dry the soaked old towels I had put down on the wettest parts of the floor. The water coming in has slowed almost to a halt so things should start to dry up later in the day. Don't think I will be hooking up wires today sitting on the floor under the layout though........;) :D

Good Morning Everyone!

ALERT!
I got an email from a friend at NOSEY and he told me their ICUNOW-001 spy satellite picked up strange movements at the North Pole. The video showed what appeared to be several very small people loading a big wagon or sleigh with tiny trains and a large man in red bib overalls giving orders. A reconnaissance plane has been sent to the area to get a better view of this strange event.

Well, time to get ready for a house full of guests. I hope all of you have:

A Very
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Merry christmas Ya'll

Ken M Come on Ken,,, what ya get of santa

nursing a sore hand today, the soldering iron turned round 180 degrees without me seeing it do it, i picked it up with a tight grasp,,, but i got the hot end by mistake,,,, whoops, blisters are developing very nice now

beter go get a cold beer to hold

Yes Steve a ice cold beer or if nothing else is available use ice cubes. That will sure take the sting out of a burn quickly. I have grabbed a soldering iron by the wrong end before.
We had the Family Christmas get together Fri nite. My son in-law, daughter and grand son went to Oklahoma to spend a few days with his dad. The train table went over really well but the doll cradle for Alissa was mind blowing. She just turned a year old in August. I set the cradle down and she immediately put the doll she was holding in the cradle, a bottle in its mouth and started rocking the cradle. Blew me away. Colton played on the train table the rest of the evening and did not want to go home. I will have to shorten the legs about 4" as it now comes up to his arm pits and is hard for him to reach the center. It sure is better to have to shorten than make new longer ones.

Afternoon, all, and a Merry Christmas Eve to you.

Rex, here's the OFFICIAL Santa tracking site from NORAD: http://www.noradsanta.org/en/home.htm. He's in Angola right now but headed our way. :)

Tom, glad the weather is tolerable up there. I remember working on Christmas Eve because I was the only one there and no one called so I could 8 hours work done in 3 hours.

Ken, hardly anyone goes down to the basement to see my train either. Now that I have sound, I can at least blow the horn loud enough it irritate them. :) You can make those Atlas switches work. Anyone that can build steel mills can tackle a few track probems. Get out that small flat file and track gauge and get to work. You'll soon have it all running smooth as silk.

Paul, blowing out the driveway while preparing for guests. Yep, sounds just like what I used to do in cleveland except me and my shovel was the snow blower.

Philip, very cool picture of that locomotive. I'm finally finished with all my Christmas shopping and have one more gift to wrap. That's not bad for me - I'm usually still at the store just before it closes. :) I sure hope your wife is doing well and can join all of you tomorrow for the feast.

Ray, I used to hate it when we got water in the basement when I was a kid. I was the dehumidifier, which consisted of me mopping everything up and then trying out the floor with our pile of about 200 old undershirts - you have a lot of old undershirts with six kids in the family. :) I'm glad that it wasn't too bad but I would postpone that wiring for a bit.

Hello, Corey and Josh, good to see you. I see that Flo is back on duty today - guess she must have given some of the new help the day off.

Steve, I thought I was the only guy in the world that ever picked up a soldering iron from the wrong end. Matter of fact, weren't we talking just a while ago about how that Second Skin bandage is really good for soldering iron burns? Run and get some of that now along with the beer!

Merry Christmas to all here and those who are no longer with us. It has been a pleasure being at this site.

Back