Sure has been fun around here

Mark, you bring up some good points. I have folks here that I've never met yet consider to be friends that I know pretty well. That's cool considering we're spead out across the globe! :cool:

I have folks here that I've never met yet consider to be friends that I know pretty well. That's cool considering we're spead out across the globe!
I'll second that, i have got to know some fantastic people, i regard them very highly and have full trust in them. thanks gents,,, and Claudia.

Mark, you bring up some good points. I have folks here that I've never met yet consider to be friends that I know pretty well. That's cool considering we're spead out across the globe! :cool:

Yeah, I forgot about how spread the membership is here. In our case it is mostly in the Toronto area with some in the outskirts (like me).

In any case, repect for the opinions of others is such a huge part of it. You can always tell when a forum is out of control when name calling and a general lack of respect is the common theme - don't know if that is what happens across the road but I can only guess.

And one other thing - as a moderator, you can tell you have a great community when you rarely have to make any changes and the members can police themselves. Then again, when the lion's share of your daily work is killing endless mudslides of spam it gets a bit tiresome!! But I digress...

Mark

i think alot has to do with up2csx selected recuiting from accross the street. i'd have never known about this place before ryan

Chip,
I'm glad you brought this subject up. I was just sitting here thinking about the same thing. Since I've joined(about 1-1/2yr ago), this past month has been the busiest I've ever seen it. I wonder what caused all the influx of people to this forum? I am liking it though. The more opinions and responses, the better all of us will become at the hobby.

To all the newbies that have come recently...WELCOME! Enjoy your stay.

This is the nicest forum on the net. It's my #1 stop... and many times only stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys here's my two cents for what it is worth . It's nice to be able to sit and enjoy the posting and views of other people. Like Grande Man said it is about friendship and respecting others. BTW Where is Claudia? Hope all is well with her .

i think alot has to do with up2csx selected recuiting from accross the street. i'd have never known about this place before ryan

Yes, I did create a little stir there. :) I had a number of PM's from people like me that were fed up with dealing with the inundation of garbage that occurred every weekend and MR's inability or lack of responsibility to do anything about it. Someone told me about this forum and, for the life of me, I can't remember who, but thanks for helping me find it. I just let people know where I was headed from across the street...some followed and others didn't. When I've checked in over the past month, it looks like they are still doing a land office business in assorted taunts and insults so I guess some folks are more tolerant of that than me.

Yes, I did create a little stir there. :) I had a number of PM's from people like me that were fed up with dealing with the inundation of garbage that occurred every weekend and MR's inability or lack of responsibility to do anything about it. Someone told me about this forum and, for the life of me, I can't remember who, but thanks for helping me find it. I just let people know where I was headed from across the street...some followed and others didn't. When I've checked in over the past month, it looks like they are still doing a land office business in assorted taunts and insults so I guess some folks are more tolerant of that than me.

Sounds familiar... ;)

Yes, Chip, the other place is a rather far cry from this place. When I want good imagery and solid MRR tidbits, I come here. When I just want to yak or to provide stewardship to newbies who might find themselves forming a less than salutary impression of the hobbiests when they first announce themselves over 'there', I stick around that place.

I have been around the block once or twice, though, and I know that as the influx to any one site increases, so does the contrariness...it is inevitable.

I don't mean for that to be so foreboding, just a realistic acceptance that everything changes when humans find out about them. :rolleyes:

Take care, everyone, and I hope you southerners have a great holiday.

-Crandell

You're undoubtedly right, Crandell, but we have one thing here that they don't across the street - enough moderators to keep things down to a dull roar. :) Threads don't go on for pages with off-topic stuff and insults like they do over there. I'm pretty sure Al wuld last for about 10 minutes here.

Chip, I'll have to agree that this has been an enjoyable forum with lots of friendly folks trying to willingly help-out however they can which I feel is the
spirit to have, no sense in trying to find fault in just boggs things down.

This was the first RR forum I came across too, like many others, and find it to be a very friendly place with lots of good exchange of information passed around, as we all can learn a thing or two now and then.

Hope everyone has a VERY GOOD THANKSGIVING!

You're undoubtedly right, Crandell, but we have one thing here that they don't across the street - enough moderators to keep things down to a dull roar. :) Threads don't go on for pages with off-topic stuff and insults like they do over there. I'm pretty sure Al wuld last for about 10 minutes here.

I'll second that comment, and thank the moderators here for helping me keep this place sane and civil.

I find it hard to believe that any forum would have no moderators over the weekend, since that tends to be the busiest time, but it's obvious there's a certain place that doesn't have much supervision during nights and weekends.

You can't prevent problems from happening, spammers, crazies and troublemakers will show up, there's no getting around it. What you can do is to take action quickly when they occur, and clean up the mess ASP.

I'd like to thank the moderators here for doing such a great job of that. Yes, I run the place, but they do almost all of the moderating while I take care of the tech stuff and behinds the scenes work.

This may seem like a small detail, but most people here either sign off their posts with their name or it is in their handle. Even if it is just a first name, it definitely personalizes the forum. Personally I think that contributes greatly to the respect factor.

Mark

This place is now my number one forum. Back when I joined, it wa number two. The member base was smaller and it took a while to get a answer. I now really like this place now. I have even met a few members here and have enjoyed every minute of it.

-Smoke

Hi, Jim. Yes, that may very well be the difference, although in fairness, at least four new user-moderators have been taken on over there, and it is our hope that we will prevail and restore some dignity to that place. It surely wouldn't be a bad thing, and is unlikely to impact this jewel.

-Crandell

Mark, I think you have a good point. I would like to see more members at least giving their first names as part of their handle or signature. I feel a little silly trying to reply to someone who has no name but a made up handle (like mine) so that's why I have my first name in my sig line.

Crandell, I'm glad that the other forum finally saw the light and added some more moderators. Hopefully they have enough rights to actually do their jobs. While I commend them for at least closing the barn door before all the horses got out, the extra moderators only came about after the site suffered almost complete meltdowns for several weeks in a row. This is not my idea of a responsible way to run a forum, especially when the forum is run by a large corporation.

Ive been a heavy modeler for about 30 years and had we had this back in the day I would have been much much better than I am today.
Im new to this forum and am a member of another forum for another hobby I have and both are excellant.
I have ALOT to learn yet in modeling and after looking at some of your alls photo's I feel I need to go in the closet and hide forever as I can only dream of having the detail you all do.
I enjoy this forum and so far Ive learned alot, as for insults and crap I have no time for that junk, waste of life, spend it making yourself better. If I threw rocks at glass houses I wouldnt have a place to live.

With the efforts of Crandell, and a few other deputy sheriffs, Tombstone is looking much better. I would say it's down right cosmopolitan compared to the wild west gun slinging of a month ago. This is still the place that I ask my 'stupid ' questions though. Quality of response is still better than quantity for specific modeling questions. I have to admit, I enjoy some of the philosophical questions every once in a while over there.

Thanks to whoever owns or runs this forum. It surely is a valuable source for the experienced and newbie alike.

This place is the jack of all trades when it come to model railroading along with its attributes like photographing MMR or Prototypes to name a few. I honestly don't know how stumbled on this forum but I will never leave it. It is my number one site then the rest follow behind. I like it that way. Something for everyone I thinks! :)

Happy Holidays everyone and thanks to Bob and the moderators!

Moderators set the tone for a forum, and it's a tough job. I'm guessing it would be even tougher when the place was run by a corporation. At least I don't have to deal with deleting somebody's flaming rant only to have them say "Well fine, then cancel my subscriptions to all of your magazines!"

Creating an atmosphere of friendliness and respect, where personal attacks aren't tolerated is difficult, and it takes a lot of time an effort. You also have to stay vigilant, to keep things going smoothly. It's pretty much a 24/7 job, and we're fortunate to have some great mods who do it well.

I'm happy to see the place is growing, and hope it continues to grow and expand. If you like the forum, tell your friends about it. That's how we get new members, folks enjoy the place and tell others to come check it out. So your help spreading the word is appreciated, and if you have a website, it would also help if you put a link to the forum on your site.

Thanks,
Bob

Back