Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Well, interesting turn of events. Sold one of my 3 remaining yellow TBOX cars on Facebook yesterday. Got the PayPal payment and I notified the buyer it was packaged and would go to the post office on Monday. Response back was thanks what else have you got. I LOVE when I see that statement. It is almost always a sale.

Sent him a flurry of pictures and he asked if there wasn’t anything heavier weathered. JazA, we can pass on Wiley Coyote smacking the yellow TBOX car side I messed up on trying to clean those fibers up. He loved it. Along with 4 other items it is packaged up.

You never know.

I will be shutdown but will look in until I return from the travels on June 16. Feel free as always about posting your weathering projects, comments and constructive criticisms on weathered freight cars

Well, interesting turn of events. Sold one of my 3 remaining yellow TBOX cars on Facebook yesterday. Got the PayPal payment and I notified the buyer it was packaged and would go to the post office on Monday. Response back was thanks what else have you got. I LOVE when I see that statement. It is almost always a sale.

Sent him a flurry of pictures and he asked if there wasn’t anything heavier weathered. JazA, we can pass on Wiley Coyote smacking the yellow TBOX car side I messed up on trying to clean those fibers up. He loved it. Along with 4 other items it is packaged up.

You never know.

I will be shutdown but will look in until I return from the travels on June 16. Feel free as always about posting your weathering projects, comments and constructive criticisms on weathered freight cars
I did say although you felt gutted,that I thought it was still a great piece, smug eye roll.

Thanks, he was looking for beat up. I don’t do beat up but he approved what I had and the customer much of the time is right.

We still need to work on sizing the coyote, thanks
No problem I need a vertical and horizontal limit because then I can work it so that it is sized to work, although you can easily adjust on screen :)
I often draw on a pad, then use tracing paper to copy to finished item, as rubbing out mistakes only really works on paper.

Until I know the sizes I’ll show a technique that can be used easily
IMG_3986.jpeg

tracing paper and a not sharp pencil, and tracing paper folded
i first traced splatt
then turned 90 degrees and traced a battered coyote- although by bending the jaw line in pencil drawing the nose looks like the jaw so I would not repeat that but keep the standard stick out jaw line,
this makes battered ears important
the yellow eyes will then be important even at this small size
FYI at this small size do not get upset if a feature goes wrong, let it dry and repaint to background and repeat, and if paint is thicker it’s a 3D representation.
if nervous try on a piece of plastic white first,
once I have the sizes off you I’ll d a proper on, I’ll go on plastic as foam takes more patience because texture makes it harder, also on plastic you have one major advantage.
foam=freehand
plastic on the opposite side of the tracing paper with a blunt 2b-6b pencil scribble black then back on good side hold against car and retrace drawing, making transferring is so much easier, make sure you give the scribble at the back a good thickness to aid transfer

Good morning!

I’m looking to add an airbrush to my weathering tools. I’ve pretty much settled on gravity feed. I like the Paasche TG-3AS, which, with the three needles and heads, makes for flexible uses. I have a couple of questions or points I’m hoping to get answered:

1. What is double action? I know what it is in a revolver, but not so much in an airbrush. (I figured this one out.)

2. What about trigger-type airbrushes? I’ve seen good reviews on a Gaahleri (assume pronounced “gallery”), but I haven’t heard of them before. Some folks consider trigger types better for comfort, fatigue, & control? (Aware that Iwata makes one, gotta consider co$t)

3. How viable is it to use a “garage type” (inflates tires, runs nail guns, etc.) compressor for airbrushing? The one I have has both a fill and discharge regulator, and a tank large enough to supply all but the longest continuous runs.

4. I presume that the spray flow will be less vigorous than a spray can, allowing for thinner coats, and for chalk work to show better. Is this presumption correct

Oh: I’m working in N scale. I plan to start using it by replacing rattle cans for clear flat and general fading of cars, sealing my chalk work, etc. I do plan to expand into weathering bridges, track, buildings.

It goes without saying that I don’t expect to achieve in N scale the level you guys are attaining in HO.

My general talent level: Above average, a pretty good eye for color, usually able to strike a good balance between accurate color and something that needs to”pop” just a little so it can be seen in N scale. Willing to try different things, but know my limitations. Reasonably steady hand.

Replies eagerly sought.

Last edited:
1: Double action means you push down the trigger to start the air, pull the the trigger back to start the paint flow.
2: Some swear by trigger action air brushes, others swear at them. I've never used one, so I can't offer any personal opinions. And I have heard it pronounced "gallery".
3: A garage type compressor will work fine for airbrushing. Just make sure you have an air pressure regulator (around 20 psi is good for a gravity feed brush) and a moisture trap. A lot of regulators have them built in.
4: The spray flow will be much less than a spray can.
Barbatos Rex just did a review of a kit from Gaahleri:

There's no magic to airbrushing, just practice!

1. What is double action? I know what it is in a revolver, but not so much in an airbrush.
Basically, single action sprays air and paint when activated, like a spray can.
Double action activates air when pressed down and pull back for paint, giving much better control of the amount of paint and spray application.
There are MANY You Tube videos for beginners choosing equipment and paints.
Much will be personal preference to what you are comfortable with and want to accomplish.
Like politics and religion, opinions will vary.
This is only my opinion.

Good morning!

I’m looking to add an airbrush to my weathering tools. I’ve pretty much settled on gravity feed. I like the Paasche TG-3AS, which, with the three needles and heads, makes for flexible uses. I have a couple of questions or points I’m hoping to get answered:

1. What is double action? I know what it is in a revolver, but not so much in an airbrush. (I figured this one out.)

2. What about trigger-type airbrushes? I’ve seen good reviews on a Gaahleri (assume pronounced “gallery”), but I haven’t heard of them before. Some folks consider trigger types better for comfort, fatigue, & control? (Aware that Iwata makes one, gotta consider co$t)

3. How viable is it to use a “garage type” (inflates tires, runs nail guns, etc.) compressor for airbrushing? The one I have has both a fill and discharge regulator, and a tank large enough to supply all but the longest continuous runs.

4. I presume that the spray flow will be less vigorous than a spray can, allowing for thinner coats, and for chalk work to show better. Is this presumption correct

Oh: I’m working in N scale. I plan to start using it by replacing rattle cans for clear flat and general fading of cars, sealing my chalk work, etc. I do plan to expand into weathering bridges, track, buildings.

It goes without saying that I don’t expect to achieve in N scale the level you guys are attaining in HO.

My general talent level: Above average, a pretty good eye for color, usually able to strike a good balance between accurate color and something that needs to”pop” just a little so it can be seen in N scale. Willing to try different things, but know my limitations. Reasonably steady hand.

Replies eagerly sought.
I was in the same position as you not so long ago, I started with a cheap Chinese airbrush, which was fine for learning on, although it was problematic at times, with paint clogging, splatter etc. Thanks to the gentlemen on the forum, I realised it wasn't so much the airbrush as my inexperience in air brushing.

Your queries have been answered above, so I'm not going to repeat what has already been said. Airbrush wise I would suggest a Harder&Steenbeck, which is what I now use, it's mid range price wise, and I find it very easy to use.

Last edited:

Back