Rock Island's new 2007 Paint Scheme

macjet

On my railroad the Rock Island made it through their 1980 bankruptcy. They added to their small roster of SD40-2's and continue to use them to this day. They are currently in the process of rebuilding their fleet and buying SD40-2's from other Class 1's for rebuild as well. During the rebuild process they are going to introduce a new paint scheme. The bankrupt blue and white didn't fare too well on the road for cleanliness and the bankrupt blue and black scheme has outstayed it's welcome.

Here are two options. Voice your opinion as one (maybe both!) will soon be put to service on my layout.

LEGAL: These drawings (minus the coloring) are year 2002 copyrighted material of Michael Eby. They are used with his permission and made available from http://paintshop.railfan.net/.

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself don't really care for either, but it's your decision. There is a member here by the name of zephyr that models modern day Rock Island. Hopefully he posts a sample of his paint scheme.

-Smoke

I don't care for either as well...both seem like cheap repaints of FURX units, and EMD Leasing units. I think Zephyr's Paint scheme will be just the ticket for a modern Rock Island Scheme for you.

Here's an example of Zephyr's Work: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6255&highlight=modern+Rock+Island

"The Rock" is a perfect example of 1970's SuperGraphics, a design period in art where the name became very large, and pronounced, usually along with a large logo...just like the "The Rock" scheme. I doubt that "The Rock" image would have lasted past 1985 as that period of 1970's graphics really fell out of favor and became unpopular and outdated by that time. I suspect that, once financially stable, the Rock Island would have returned to the colors, and logo of their former "glory days" of the Mid-century. (Red with the Original Logo)

I'm not a big fan of either paint scheme either. Realistically, the Rock would have abandoned the blue and white, and the giant "R" logo, in favor of a paint scheme inspired by its rich history. Much like my friend Zephyr has done, and like I have done with my modern-day New York Central lightning stripe engines.

Don't let anyone's comments, however, discourage you from doing what you truly want to do. It's YOUR railroad, YOUR ultimate decision.

Good points. While I do like the above paint jobs I now realize that I am missing the heritage of the CRI&P with blue paint. I'll go back to the drawing board and report back.

Wow, I was going to say #2, but #3 is beautiful! I like it more then Zephyr's scheme's!!

Very Nice! Excellent Job. You really captured the spirit of the rock Island! That looks like a Scheme developed in the late 1980's as a sucessor to the "Rock" image, and then they continue using it today. That's Really nice, and attractive!

BTW.. for painting trucks, paint one, copy and paste the other, flipping it horizontally before positioning it.

I still like #3 better... I think the RI sheild should stay on the nose and rear end. I like the speed lettering...maybe add the flare or wing stripes before and after the "Rock Island" on the sides? With the black, red & white lines? i think the Unit number should remain under the eng/firemen windows like on pic#3. Maybe in the "R" use the that font that had the blue in the middle for the rock?View attachment 7398

just ideas man that is all...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like #5, with the Road number on the side. If you're going to do the text, I'd leave off the logo, as in #4. Too repetitive. But its up to you in the end!

I still like #3 better... I think the RI sheild should stay on the nose and rear end. I like the speed lettering...maybe add the flare or wing stripes before and after the "Rock Island" on the sides? With the black, red & white lines? i think the Unit number should remain under the eng/firemen windows like on pic#3. Maybe in the "R" use the that font that had the blue in the middle for the rock?

just ideas man that is all...

What, like this?! ;) :p

http://www.rockisl.com/cgi-bin/display.asp?f=1&e=1&n=185

I was thinking, for the new SD70's and other safety cab units, how about a scheme like this one?

http://www.rockisl.com/cgi-bin/display.asp?f=1&e=1&n=106

By the way, to see all of the Rock's paint scheme's take a look at this site!

http://www.rockisl.com/PaintSchemes/PaintSchemes.htm

I've been pulling my ideas off of that second website. What an awesome resource.

We think alike on the first link above. I think a variation of that F unit paint would look good on the new units.

I like #5, with the Road number on the side. If you're going to do the text, I'd leave off the logo, as in #4. Too repetitive. But its up to you in the end!

I think version #3 is a good mid- late-80's scheme with #5 being a good early- mid-90's. Even thought #5 mimics BN's Green/Black paint numbering I still like it. I'm having trouble coming up with a good scheme for the new style units.

Back