Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

I might have to keep an eye for shows and stuff around me or venture into the depths of the "For Sale" section here and see what is what.

When I first thought I'd give it ago I bought some Brangdon (?) Powders and found them easier to use than trying to fix botched up paint weathering. The powders would just wash of :)

But in the meantime and just so we are on the same page ..........

It is still $5 per compliment right? 😂 🍻👍

Or not ........ :rolleyes:

I might have to keep an eye for shows and stuff around me or venture into the depths of the "For Sale" section here and see what is what.

When I first thought I'd give it ago I bought some Brangdon (?) Powders and found them easier to use than trying to fix botched up paint weathering. The powders would just wash of :)

But in the meantime and just so we are on the same page ..........

It is still $5 per compliment right? 😂 🍻👍

Or not ........ :rolleyes:
With todays inflation its probably up to $7.50!

Nice job Mike, do you have a soft brush to blend the powders like in post 713 on page 36.
I was just at a show last weekend, a guy had a box of $2 cars.

I do not have a brush like that. I will defiantly grab one at the Hardware store soon. Any other powder tools to look for?

I know there dirt cheap at shows, but unfortunately, I don't have very many to chose from. I just won an auction for 14 different pieces, and it came out to $3.07 ea. tax and shipped. I thought that was exceptional!

I do not have a brush like that. I will defiantly grab one at the Hardware store soon. Any other powder tools to look for?
Mike,

Have a look at Wallyworld for some soft bristle Artists Brushes unless you have a Hobby Lobby near you. I just bought a 30 piece set from Hobby Lobby of various sizes fairly cheaply too.

Nm2TQRp.jpg

Fun With Powders:

I decided to try to paint some ruxt streaks using the dot and drag method. Not as easy as some make it look. Not even going to share the dismal results. Much more practice will be needed for that technique.

So I opened the Monroe Models powdwes and messed with them. Very easy to use but I can see it would be easy to get carried away and do more than is needed. Anyways here is my first test using them.View attachment 164425View attachment 164426View attachment 164427
Just take the widest softest brush you have and blend the powders into the roof. I have a few brushes to choose from in my cart
DE6A073B-3D6A-4129-A7D9-564B861E4B0B.jpeg
If I want to do what I call a “hard” blend I use one of the brushes in front of the foam brush in the middle of the cart.

Regular blending is done with the makeup fluffy white or black soft brushes on the back left

But wide and soft anything will work

Just take the widest softest brush you have and blend the powders into the roof. I have a few brushes to choose from in my cart
View attachment 164428If I want to do what I call a “hard” blend I use one of the brushes in front of the foam brush in the middle of the cart.

Regular blending is done with the makeup fluffy white or black soft brushes on the back left

But wide and soft anything will work
Awesome, Thanks!

Fun With Powders:

I decided to try to paint some ruxt streaks using the dot and drag method. Not as easy as some make it look. Not even going to share the dismal results. Much more practice will be needed for that technique.

So I opened the Monroe Models powdwes and messed with them. Very easy to use but I can see it would be easy to get carried away and do more than is needed. Anyways here is my first test using them.View attachment 164425View attachment 164426View attachment 164427
You should show them,
1 they may be better than you think
2 they may only need tweaking
3 we can offer advice

….4 if worse comes to worse I can do with a good 😆 laugh
and I can and do share some of my oh that’s not right….learning is a curve and we have all been there.
do keep pictures because as you improve you will want to compare.

This one I wanted to practice a very subtle weathering. Since I model present day I will have a lot of cars that wont be rust buckets. This one I used the Monroe Models dark earth, and some light rust.

I'm not sure if I have to seal in previous step before moving on to the next. I was having a difficult time getting rust to show up over the dark earth. I wonder if I sealed it, the rust would of shown up better?
E02BEC5C-989D-4BEA-908F-F81B23567F5A.jpeg

This one I wanted to practice a very subtle weathering. Since I model present day I will have a lot of cars that wont be rust buckets. This one I used the Monroe Models dark earth, and some light rust.

I'm not sure if I have to seal in previous step before moving on to the next. I was having a difficult time getting rust to show up over the dark earth. I wonder if I sealed it, the rust would of shown up better?View attachment 164629
I think you've done really well with that, better than me anyway, thing about rust showing up it can easily be overdone, and as your not doing rust buckets it needs to be subtle, you can always add to it if you feel the need to.

If your happy with it so far, seal it and add more, that way if it's overdone you can literally wash it off without destroying what you already have.

I've been doing some toning down of weathered boxcars I picked up a few years ago. Most are fine for enhancing, but 3 of them weren't to my taste so I decided to try tame it.

This is what they looked like originally...

PXL_20230317_201130313.jpg

Using 99% IPA and a plentiful supply of cotton buds, along with patience, nice music and some fruit juice, I managed to get rid of the worst of the weathering...

PXL_20230318_114614582.jpg

I've pretty much wrecked the IC car (the other side is worse!), but I have suitable decals in stock to refinish this as a Rock Island example, which will be my first boxcar repaint.

The UP car I'm pleased with, Im going to weather it further

The white car I'm happiest with, and strangely was the hardest to do. I'll give it a very light weathering and call it done

I've been doing some toning down of weathered boxcars I picked up a few years ago. Most are fine for enhancing, but 3 of them weren't to my taste so I decided to try tame it.

This is what they looked like originally...

View attachment 164642

Using 99% IPA and a plentiful supply of cotton buds, along with patience, nice music and some fruit juice, I managed to get rid of the worst of the weathering...

View attachment 164643

I've pretty much wrecked the IC car (the other side is worse!), but I have suitable decals in stock to refinish this as a Rock Island example, which will be my first boxcar repaint.

The UP car I'm pleased with, Im going to weather it further

The white car I'm happiest with, and strangely was the hardest to do. I'll give it a very light weathering and call it done
Nice, really impressed with that.

Back