Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, that is all well and good but - Atlas reliability when it comes to delivery of "pre-ordered stuff has been going on for years, at least 5 that I am aware of. But when you pay some out sourced company pea nuts to make you something so you can flog it at ridiculously inflated prices - what do you expect
The problem they have now (China) is even though they can produce the trains, there's a long wait to get a ship to take that container. The lack of other products being made they don't have enough to load a ship. Scale trains backed up the delivery dates on some pre orders, most likely that the ships are not coming to port on a regular basis.

Take a few minutes and watch this.

Good Video Tom.

If those productivity numbers were provided by China, Reality is its probably much worse.

Do you suppose the Chinese are hoarding containers so they cant be used elsewhere to hinder the uncoupling from Chinese factories. Since most of them are probably owned by them anyway. Wasn't there supposably a container shortage a year or so ago? This could help explain that.

You know something guys - if countries were more interested in production and their customers than they were the frickin' $$$$$$ then they'd manufacture their own stuff and none of this delivery reliability would be an issue, well, would be less of an issue.

Problem is that countries don't want to fork out to manufacture their own stuff and cut into their already obscene profits. The problem isn't with the Chinese or Indonesians or Taiwanese or Sth Africans or any other countries - its with the damn companies that use them so they can make outrageous profits and have excuses for when things don't go right.

That is one of the reasons why I deal with Kato and Peco, because the company whose name is on the product is the mob who makes the stuff and who takes responsibility for it.

Good Video Tom.

If those productivity numbers were provided by China, Reality is its probably much worse.

Do you suppose the Chinese are hoarding containers so they cant be used elsewhere to hinder the uncoupling from Chinese factories. Since most of them are probably owned by them anyway. Wasn't there supposably a container shortage a year or so ago? This could help explain that.
When the economy is bad people don't have that expendable income (trains, out to dinner, and other not necessary items) they are feeling the effect of this now. They might not have liked the previous administration, but people were buying more then than they are today.

@TLOC

It's Ice Hockey ?? Ice Hockey I can watch as well - it amazes me how those guys (and gals) do what they do on skates - hell, I have trouble walking to mail box when things ice over :)

I thought it was basketball because that is what came up when I googled it. Goes to show, google DOESNT know everything - lucky for me, my wife does, or so she says :)

@TLOC

It's Ice Hockey ?? Ice Hockey I can watch as well - it amazes me how those guys (and gals) do what they do on skates - hell, I have trouble walking to mail box when things ice over :)

I thought it was basketball because that is what came up when I googled it. Goes to show, google DOESNT know everything - lucky for me, my wife does, or so she says :)
We have a daughter who played and a son. When I retired and we moved near Madison Wi. we really fell in love with the Women’s game. Since we got season tickets in 2015 we have watched 2 NCAA champions and this could be the 3rd in 5 years.

Ice Hockey is a game my dad loved in the 1960’s and took us to NHL games in Chicago. That’s when I fell in love with the game. The Women’s game doesn’t contain the hitting the Men have but IMO seems more pure, and it’s fast the way Wisconsin plays it.

We have a daughter who played and a son. When I retired and we moved near Madison Wi. we really fell in love with the Women’s game. Since we got season tickets in 2015 we have watched 2 NCAA champions and this could be the 3rd in 5 years.

Ice Hockey is a game my dad loved in the 1960’s and took us to NHL games in Chicago. That’s when I fell in love with the game. The Women’s game doesn’t contain the hitting the Men have but IMO seems more pure, and it’s fast the way Wisconsin plays it.

We haven't done it for a couple of years now, but we would go several times a year to Peoria to see the Riverman play. One year My Daughters School had program where if they met a reading goal they got to go to a game, and had a meet and greet with the players, and high five them as they were coming out of the tunnel. All the Kids were thrilled, and it was a great time for them.

Good morning all!

Happy Saturday to, everyone, Just coffee for me this morning.

Chilly start the morning. Temps only in the low teens, and brisk NW winds, don't look like we warm much tomorrow either,

No big plans this weekend, thank goodness.

Enjoy the day!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 38°, going back into the mid 50's again today; and for the next two days after that. Warmer weather returns Tuesday, thunderstorms possible Thursday, but mostly warmer and settled weather for the coming week.
The new garden tractor arrived yesterday and works as expected. It was late so I didn't give it a real workout and don't really have anyplace that actually needs mowing enough to have to use it yet. It's not quite as big as my old Craftsman, and it also has a much smaller turning radius which should allow easier operation and a smaller parking space!:)
IMG_3226.JPG

I have no experience with pre-ordering any manufacturer's rolling stock except for ScaleTrains engines. So I can't really comment about them. I have always liked to have a product in my hands before purchasing anything. I made an exception for ScaleTrains about 5 years ago and despite the original order being a bit delayed by a few months, I have been satisfied enough to have made three additional purchases totaling 13 locomotives in all. While none have been according to their original projection, all but the first one came within 45 days of the schedule. One nice thing about doing business with them, is no money changes hands until they actually ship the product from Tennessee. No prepayment necessary and you can cancel at any time. I don't know if this is the case with other manufacturers or not. I'd like to try some of their freight cars, but they haven't made anything that I just had to have, and I have no room for any more anyway.
Can the other guys move away from China? Probably yes if needed, but the logistics, expense and time needed would be too much for many of these manufacturers to handle. As someone pointed out, if the government in China gets knowledge that you are considering relocation, your workers quit showing up, tooling disappears, etc.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I made some progress with ground cover. I managed to fill in some ground foam between the road and Ethanol refinery; and along part of the ROW. Then I added a gravel parking lot to the grocery store, and a side entrance to the refinery.
IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

Next up (maybe) is a chain link fence next to the road. More to come.

Hughie - Clark's Wood Products looks like a real fun build. Should be interesting to do in N scale. Downtown Garage also looks like an interesting build, but it only works for an era much earlier than mine. Good luck with both, I'm sure that we'll be seeing more of them soon.
Chrιstιαη - Where's the damn caboose?
Joe - You mentioned "outcast royal Harry and spouse Meghan" yesterday. Did anyone here know that Meghan appeared in Married with Children back in '95?
Great picture of that BR&W GP9 still working today after at least 65 years of service.

Today is National Sloppy Joe Day. I'm sure most of us went through that time of life when it was a staple. I did immediately after college when we first got married.
Everybody have a wonderful day.

You mentioned "outcast royal Harry and spouse Meghan" yesterday. Did anyone here know that Meghan appeared in Married with Children back in '95?
Short answer no. From what I can tell, she is still trying to act, Both of those two clowns are delusional.

Great picture of that BR&W GP9 still working today after at least 65 years of service.
I didn't check the heritage, but, from outward appearance, I suspect it started life as a B&O passenger geep, and hauled passengers on the CNJ in later life.

Years ago, I dealt with one of the related companies, a flexi-flo operation in a former LV yard in South Plainfield, NJ. The office was an old NYC/PC/CR bay window cabin car, that may now be the caboose/riding platform used on the Freehold Secondary.

Nice work preserving some of Chet's structures. They fit in well with your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back