Narrow Gauge rolling stock 3D printing.

Indeed there seems to be a dearth of WP&Y decals so I am trying the route of making my own. Perhaps I have put too much spray on the printed decals. Also they aren't as saturated (dark) as I would like. Some experimentation involved. I did run across some purveyor of custom decals that made them but can't get back to the site for some reason. All will work out in the end!

Indeed there seems to be a dearth of WP&Y decals so I am trying the route of making my own. Perhaps I have put too much spray on the printed decals. Also they aren't as saturated (dark) as I would like. Some experimentation involved. I did run across some purveyor of custom decals that made them but can't get back to the site for some reason. All will work out in the end!
Blast, there is someone that does that kind of work, I was given the name but I can't find it, and I can't find the post for it either, if you ask in the coffee shop someone will tell you.

Last night's adventure was printing a combine, came out OK but not totally satisfied with the vertical boards of the sides, though the ends printed just fine. Working with a new resin has it's issues! I may have to go back to the sides and re design the board depth and spacing. A major PITA (Not the animal rights group).

Wah Hail! I printed a satisfactory Combine and covered Duce n Half, but the floor had what looked like a big shark bite out of it. As it turned out the FEP (bottom sheet of the resin vat). As it turned out during the print a pinhole developed in the vat bottom sheet and resin leaked out and blocked the exposure. Fortunately Anycubic uses a protective sheet over the exposing LCD screen which saved it from destruction.

Waiting now for a new FEP sheet (Sheet mon). Also ordered some Trucolor Paint, the Valley-Jo Forest Green wasn't a satisfactory color though their primer seems nice. Slowly the model paint producers are falling by the wayside!

Current progress on HON3 Combine from D&RGS drawing:

Attachments

• HON3 Combine.jpg
    HON3 Combine.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 44
Ok, the gondola just rocks. Tight truss rods too and even right down to the cable wind. Bravo!.

And boltheads on the INSIDE too. FWIW, whatever you are doing, it's looking better every time.

May I ask? What 3D printer and what resolution for these latest models?

Thank you! My printer is an Anycubic Mono 6X with an ultimate resolution of about 35 microns. This is sort of an evolutionary so I go through a number of models and make improvements. I just experienced a leak in the FEP sheet and am awaiting arrival of a new one.

Thank you! My printer is an Anycubic Mono 6X with an ultimate resolution of about 35 microns. This is sort of an evolutionary so I go through a number of models and make improvements. I just experienced a leak in the FEP sheet and am awaiting arrival of a new one.
Aha. I have an Anycubic Mono X..4K...sitting, unopened in a box about 20 feet behind me. Unopened.

It might be obvious by now...assuming anyone is paying attention to my own tendencies...that I buy a lot of tools and parts and materials...but just don't get anything done. I used to. But it just isn't happening now.

This bothers me too. :-/

Just as an aside.

So let me ask you, 747...your prints come out well, but do have some particle flash...bumps...on the surfaces. So how do you clean or address them?

I've made any number of sanding sticks using paper grinds over the years, and they DO work, but at the cost of time. Other ideas are using rubber disk type polishing dental tools...battery powered handheld or other...and I've used various hand files too, of course. But how do YOU remove the stray pixels or dust from the surfaces? Or do you even bother?

I live in a climate where my Winter indoor humidity is 3% or less and static and dust are serious problems. Usually if I find a product is in it's final form I use very fine wet/dry sandpaper, 600-1200 grit with water. It's not a perfect process. It's homemade...

Today working on WP&YR Baggage car 203, which unusually has a cupola on top. What I will probably end up with is two passenger coaches, a baggage and a combine.

203 bag car came out OK, I may try re orienting the object on the printing platen a little to get a crisper side print. Next will probably be the 218 series passenger car which were a little shorter and suitable for a smaller layout.

Really nice!

How do you like that printer? Prices on it have dropped a bunch lately to the point where I am thinking about picking one (or one like it) up. I've never done any 3D printing before, but I'm getting fed up with the lousy quality of the metal parts I've purchased lately and figure scratching that itch might be a good excuse to dive in. Terrible idea? Mostly terrible idea? Only moderately terrible idea? :p

Decent enough idea. It's not quite push button model technology yet, a little witches art in there and generally we go through a couple of trial pieces arriving at what we want. A big advantage is one doesn't need to wait for an order or out of stock items. Also you can design and build what you want and not have to adapt to existing stock items. There is a learning curve, but one of the better ship modelers I know got into it via some encouragement from myself and has done some great work on components for his creations.

The Anycubic Mono X 6K seems to be a pretty solid printer and would satisfy your needs for some time! As I mentioned, a learning curve and one needs ability with a 3D design program.

Regards: Tom

Back