Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
For instance, I currently use Dell Precision Workstations of which Micro$oft says are not compatible with W11. WTF - faster processors with multiple cores and threading; more cache L1 + L2 + L3; at least 24Gig ( PC3 - 12600 ) of memory and usually raid0 arrays with a couple year old video card which makes them pretty speedy.

It's not a matter of speed. It is that they don't have the TPM 2.0 or whatever it is called.

I don't use Windows of any type much -- have a VM or two with W10 and W7 for a tax app I need for my business taxes and I have an old 2008 Mac pro with W10 natively installed to run some DCC configuration software for my command center once a year.

Good Morning All. Clear and 41°. Calm right now, but wind will increase to 25+ mph after around noon today from the south. Mid 60's today and mid-70's tomorrow with a fair chance of thunderstorms ahead of a cold front coming in after midnight tomorrow. Roller coaster weather for the next week or so. But it ain't snow! Rain yesterday stayed north of the Red River in Oklahoma all day.

Beware the Ides of March, I read somewhere once. A few important days coming up here, tomorrow is my oldest daughter's 45th birthday, then St Patrick's Day on Friday; especially important to us Irish Americans. Monday is the first day of Spring and historically our last freeze for this exact location. I haven't had one since 2-17, but according to the NWS, there's a chance this Friday through Monday nights. The actual forecast shows 34° all four nights, but that's close enough. I have nothing planted in the garden that's frost sensitive, but I do have many trees that have budded out. However a light breeze will protect them.
I did some mowing yesterday with the electric push mower around parts of the house. It's not enough for the rider yet, which I haven't purchased.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding my modeling updates from yesterday. I misplaced my camera somewhere yesterday, so nothing new today!:(

Out in the train shed yesterday, I added additional detailing to the backdrop. Detailing if you could call it that, as it was adding smudges of green paint to represent trees, almost in the Bob Ross style. I also cut out and glued down a blacktop road from some tarpaper for the latest section that I am filling in. I moved the structures that I pictured Tuesday, around a bit, looking for the best fit. In the end I will probably use all four, but the sequence is still being studied. I have decided to use a strip of tall and medium sized trees to form a scenic separator from the scene and the Ethanol refinery. More to come after I locate the camera.
Meanwhile from the archives. How about some more lightly weathered freight car pictures?
10-06-19 001 (2).JPG

01-22-20 024.JPG

01-22-20 022.JPG

01-22-20 023.JPG
06-26-19 003.JPG

Swal - My best wishes for your wife and her procedure.
Karl - I can't type on any phone.
Todd - Libby ain't the only place where groceries are getting more expensive. My average weekly grocery bill has gone up approximately 25% since the middle of 2021. Vegetable seed prices have increased almost 30%. I think that many increases are being made just because they can get away with it and blame inflation, whether justified or not.
Troy - Have you ever tried Acupuncture for your back? I am not advocating it and I have never tried it, but I have heard mostly good things about it. The bad things are simply that it didn't work in a couple of cases, no debilitating aftereffects. Just curious.
Tom O - I gave up golf and bowling many years ago when I realized that if I traded my golf score with my bowling score I would do better in both.
Thanks for the comment on the graffiti. While I am not a fan, and I think that the so called artists are stupid, it is a part of railroad modeling. In my era, only about 25% of railcars had anything on them and much was the "SRS '72" or "Kilroy was here" type. ☮ was a big one in my era.
Mike - Thanks for the comment on the hopper. At best I only try for lightly weathered railcars and I mainly use weathering powders and occasionally dry-brushing. At some point after I complete much more scenery on the layout, I will get more into it.
Patrick - I have ended up using pi for a few things since math class. Mostly figuring volumes for containers.
Joe - Regarding the stock market, I have moved some things around a bit, but I remain committed at this point. Will I ever make up the $40K that I lost last year, probably not but it was all paper gains from 2016-2020, (made much more than I lost). Prior to last week, I had made back $10K this year but lost much of it. I am actually still very slightly ahead for the year.

Today is National Eat an Animal for PETA Day, which I plan on doing.
Everybody have a great day.

It's not a matter of speed. It is that they don't have the TPM 2.0 or whatever it is called.

I don't use Windows of any type much -- have a VM or two with W10 and W7 for a tax app I need for my business taxes and I have an old 2008 Mac pro with W10 natively installed to run some DCC configuration software for my command center once a year.
For those not in the know ( From DigitalTrends ) :

"It’s not hard understanding what a TPM does, but its application in Windows is a little messy. As mentioned, Windows 10 and Windows 11 use the TPM for BitLocker disk encryption and Windows Hello. The integration with Windows goes a lot deeper, though, which has caused some confusion with Windows 11. It requires a TPM 2.0 chip.

Windows takes control of the TPM while your computer is booting. This is a good step for a couple of reasons. The first is that the TPM can verify the integrity of Windows before the operating system loads. That ensures you aren’t loading into an OS that has malicious code.

It also helps with antivirus software. Most malware is written to run on your OS, so something like adware executes after the operating system has loaded, even if you don’t see the program actively running on your desktop. Antivirus services can usually deal with this type of malware, but some struggle with rootkits.

A rootkit is a piece of malware that’s supposed to live on your computer undetected. Although some rootkits only attack a particular application, many start loading before your OS does. That opens up a world of possibilities to attackers, allowing them to infect the bootloader of your OS or even the kernel (the core of your OS).

TPM handles that. Windows automatically leverages the TPM during boot sequences, but other software, such as antivirus, can also leverage it to weed out rootkits before the OS loads.

Cyberattacks continue to rise, likely in response to the increasing amount of personal (and valuable) data that people store on their PCs and online. The TPM requirement on Windows 11 is the medicine before the candy. By getting PCs up to date with the latest hardware security, Microsoft can push forward with its security efforts rather than focus on getting more people on board. "

Yup, big brother knows more that we do?

Later

The Sky IS Falling! .. No S^*T Surlock! Either Rain, Snow, Mud, Trees, Whatever .. It's all coming down. Started raining around here last evening - and still coming down at a rather good clip.
Temp is 55 with a 59 high expected and rain expected until around 6 pm which will make a 24 hour day of "solid" rain.
The TV this morning is full of idiots driving into fast flowing water and being swept off the pavement and having to have emergency services rescue them - idiots!

KARL - Loved the B-Boys there ... so true. They really touched all the bases with that one!

OK - I am turning in my "expert" certificate on the options. been heavy investing in inverse bonds - as the interest rates have been going up. NOW, for some reason, they are going down along with everything else yet the FED is still talking of interest rates still going higher - maybe they won't?
Now I have lots of "Short Positions" on stock options -- but apparently not enough!
Also, have been following a "paid experts" advise on option spread trading and he has not had much better luck than I have had this year.
Back to throwing darts at the financial page on the wall to see where they stick - good as anything at the moment!

Everyone stay safe and dry if possible? I need to go and try to shove the dogs out the door in the rain to do their business. There have been too many "accidents" in the house with all the rain! I'm keeping 'SPOT SHOT' in business right now.

For those not in the know ( From DigitalTrends ) :

"It’s not hard understanding what a TPM does, but its application in Windows is a little messy. As mentioned, Windows 10 and Windows 11 use the TPM for BitLocker disk encryption and Windows Hello. The integration with Windows goes a lot deeper, though, which has caused some confusion with Windows 11. It requires a TPM 2.0 chip.

Windows takes control of the TPM while your computer is booting. This is a good step for a couple of reasons. The first is that the TPM can verify the integrity of Windows before the operating system loads. That ensures you aren’t loading into an OS that has malicious code.

It also helps with antivirus software. Most malware is written to run on your OS, so something like adware executes after the operating system has loaded, even if you don’t see the program actively running on your desktop. Antivirus services can usually deal with this type of malware, but some struggle with rootkits.

A rootkit is a piece of malware that’s supposed to live on your computer undetected. Although some rootkits only attack a particular application, many start loading before your OS does. That opens up a world of possibilities to attackers, allowing them to infect the bootloader of your OS or even the kernel (the core of your OS).

TPM handles that. Windows automatically leverages the TPM during boot sequences, but other software, such as antivirus, can also leverage it to weed out rootkits before the OS loads.

Cyberattacks continue to rise, likely in response to the increasing amount of personal (and valuable) data that people store on their PCs and online. The TPM requirement on Windows 11 is the medicine before the candy. By getting PCs up to date with the latest hardware security, Microsoft can push forward with its security efforts rather than focus on getting more people on board. "

Yup, big brother knows more that we do?

Later
All GEEK to me!

Good morning all!

I've been busier than a centipede in a toe counting contest...https://www.bulletpointmountingsolutions.com/products/amps-compatible-20mm-ball-with-mounting-plate

Today is March 15...
JeffH - I laughed out loud over that; I Have to use it occasionally!

The date reminded me that tomorrow marks the 32nd year of "togetherness" for the Spousal Unit and myself.
Need to think of something to do tht does not require getting wet?
We have had a good time and have only hit a very few pot holes and no flat tires!

Coffee to go this morning, FLO, please.

The date reminded me that tomorrow marks the 32nd year of "togetherness" for the Spousal Unit and myself.
We have had a good time and have only hit a very few pot holes and no flat tires!

Congratulations on that milestone!

Good morning from the beautiful darkness of pre-dawn in Makena, Hawaii. My sleep pattern is getting better but not there yet. Terry sleeps great out here but anywhere else in the world she doesn’t. She definitely is relaxed out here. Yes, that is a thought in my brain to be developed.

The IPadPro passed away again yesterday. I was bemoaning the loss of my beloved toy at breakfast when one of the guys said, have u done the hard re-set? He then took it and did the hard re-set and it’s alive again! I am debating between just a new IPad or the IPadPro. The son says don’t be cheap, he says you are a ”casual power user” don’t wimp on the less expensive less useable to you Ipad.

The SIL yesterday mailed out some Facebook weathering sales that the money came in for on Monday. He then sent me a picture of the front porch yesterday and empty the contents in the train room. More box cars

and these are the 3rd batch of 5- 60’ High cubes plate F cars in the last 2 weeks. Its too bad Walthers didn’t do more numbers for these cars. The previous 10 are already sold waiting for weathering. 2 ST locomotives a longtime client sent saying in the text message, get over the fear just do these for me. He saw my Gp40-2l’s I did for myself so he sent me the 2 to do.

We are 99% sure we no longer are going to Duluth, Mn. for the NCAA Women’s hockey Championship Final 4, this weekend. The amounts of snow Duluth has gotten recently and what is forecast for Thursday and Friday has scared us off. But we really want to see the Badgers in that final game…so still a slight possibility for Sunday.

The golf game yesterday was ok. Shot a 86 but better was I won the 4th hole low score yesterday with a natural lucky eagle plus the handicap. No one won any holes on Monday so I won the pot for 22 holes. Some one did win the 16th hole yesterday so we only have 2 holes carrying over to start today.

I will look over the forum as I know I have missed much.

Congratulations 🎊

The IPadPro passed away again yesterday. I was bemoaning the loss of my beloved toy at breakfast when one of the guys said, have u done the hard re-set? He then took it and did the hard re-set and it’s alive again! I am debating between just a new IPad or the IPadPro. The son says don’t be cheap, he says you are a ”casual power user” don’t wimp on the less expensive less useable to you Ipad.
I have a current model iPad Mini. It's great for everything except viewing photos and movies/ videos. It's good for that, too, but the screen is small compared to all the other models. If you don't care about size, the 12.9" Pro has the best screen of any of them. It's powerful, with Apple's desktop processor tucked inside. If you want a mid-size model, get the current version of Air with the 256gb storage. The cheaper models don't have enough storage, at 64gb, and the standard iPad has a non-laminated screen that makes everything look like you're viewing it from behind a window (which you are).

Good afternoon. It's clear and 60.
I was finally able to get Firefox onto the recalcitrant laptop, though I had to disable my antivirus and firewall to do so.
And while I'm complaining, I ordered some things from Amazon, with very detailed and explicit delivery instructions, including the complete zip+4 address, and graphic descriptions of the place I'm in. Amazon refused to deliver, citing "incomplete address".

Good afternoon. It's clear and 60.
I was finally able to get Firefox onto the recalcitrant laptop, though I had to disable my antivirus and firewall to do so.
And while I'm complaining, I ordered some things from Amazon, with very detailed and explicit delivery instructions, including the complete zip+4 address, and graphic descriptions of the place I'm in. Amazon refused to deliver, citing "incomplete address".

Contact there chat support and tell them the address is exactly correct and you want the package delivered. They'll apologize, offer some "promotional credit" and they'l try again.

I just went through this with fedex, Had some stuff shipped to our construction site. 4 identical boxes. one box delivered just fine last wednesday. Another box was not delivered "thursday" due to "no such address". I called in and explained the situation and had them notate the tracking number that it was a house under construction and the only one in the area in such a condition. Same package had a delivery exception Friday "occupant moved" (LOL). I talked to the customer service multiple times and the Fedex Ground Customer Support called me twice as well and I explained the situation to them and had themn notate every tracking number under the master since there were 3 more boxes. One was dawdling along the way and had not gotten here yet and the other two had the delivery exceptions. I spray painted the house number on the egde of the garage slab on Friday and Monday all 3 were delivered , despite me telling them they were late and I needed the stuff delivered Saturday. Fedex ground had delivered to the address before (and has since). One of the previous times one box made it and the other was delayed a few days with stupid drivers. It all comes down to the driver and how willing they are to actually think. On one of the previous Fedex ones, the local station had printed the Google Maps and circled the lot and written right on it that it was a bulding lot under construction, but the driver was still not wanting to drop off and was about to drive away when we ran out and flagged him down. He was unsure but left the package. That is when I saw the printout from Google Maps and the notes on the package. Which the driver had obviously not read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back