Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's strange. When I've moved with a lien I had no problems registering with the new state. They just wanted the lienholder for the new title and they sent the lienholder the title. The old title from the old state, which I had to have (and which I am sure they can cross reference through some sort of inter state computer network) had the lien holder on it.

The wonders of the DMV and every state
No two are alike...for that matter, no two clerks do the same thing...

Working from home today folks. No weather to speak of at the moment. The sun was out for a few minutes this morning. Currently it's 35° F and it's supposed to get warmer on Friday and Saturday we shall see. I think it will be just mid 30s and no preciptation of any kind. That's fine. We do have weather coming tomorrow a mix of rain and snow yet again. Today will get ot a high of 37° F.

Well I have been working on a few small items. Programing and testing locomotives late last night when I couldn't sleep. I uploaded 2 new videos to my YouTube for ya'll to view nothing special just a short quick clip for sound and lighting work.

I am getting better at programing. I am still working on mastering sound levels though, that takes a bit of time. I am trying not to make it so darn loud that everything running can be drowned out into one loud mess. Having the decibel meter I bought a few weeks back really helps.

4 days to go! Road trip coming! Been checking and reviewing my lists. I went thru all my parts list for decoders and such. Building material too. I can't remember how good the selection was for paints and weathering we shall see as I will be looking that stuff over. I need some more decals too. A lot of the time they have decals there pennies on the dollar.

I will be packing a lunch and drinks. I like how we can go in and out whenever through out the day to take a break or charge phone etc. When I get there I always arrive early to get the closest parking near one of the 5 entrances so I do not worry about walking huge distances. I carry a back pack for my stuff and purchases to make life easier. They have canopies to connect the 5 buildings too. I also bring my laptop but I leave it secured in my truck. I use it to check certain things like my inventory list etc. I do use my phone too but sometimes it is better to see it on a bigger screen. I will of course take pictures and videos. Now that I created a channel for trains on my YouTube I can upload it there. I was going to spend the night there like I did in previous years but this time I will do just Saturday although I can change my mind too lol. We will see. For dinner I usually go to Chick-Fil-A.

Ok well I gotta get back to work and deal with a few items. The I will take and early afternon off to mess with trains lol.

Later ya'll
Yep, I am working from home today too! Lol… Hey, vacuuming is work.

Actually I am surprised you have not started the road trip already. I know how much you’ve been looking forward to this

OK - Here is my story of the CA DMV! I have lived in 7 states and had "zero" problems with any State until here. I purchased that 98 Dakota P/U new after moving here from MO.
In the early 2000's we sold our home here and moved to Laughlin, NV as I wanted away from CA for tax reasons. Our vehicles were lien free and when I went to the NV DMV to register them, the nice lady said to me, "There is no reason to transfer the title to NV and spend the extra - you just need to register for license plates." Wasn't but an extra $28.00, but $28 is $28.
FAST Forward a few years ---

The Spousal Unit decided that she couldn't take the heat in Laughlin (never below 90f for about 6 months of the year even at night) and she thought she was too far away from kids, G kids and family so she decided to live with her mom and "visit" me in Laughlin. This went on for 6=8 months, had a friend who had friends looking for a place to live, so I rented the house to them and came back to CA where we bought again.
I was happy maintaining my NV residence, but eventually a policeman living a couple houses down stopped by one day and told me that he was not saying anything, but I could be stopped for having the NV plates if other LE's caught on to seeing the truck continuously.
Long story shortened a little - I went to the DMV to register the truck in CA again. I had the title (CA) and the registration (NV) in the same envelope that I handed to him. He looked at the title and tore it up saying that he had no way of knowing that I had not changed the title in NV and I would have to do a title search to prove that the truck was mine.
I tried to argue with him, but to no avail. I said. Fckit, I have no intent to sell the truck, and let it slide. Now comes along a couple years back when I rear-ended someone and the insurance company "totaled" the truck and asked me for the title. I told them the DMV story and they laughed about it as the truck had been insured from them ever since new - and they said forget we asked - we will take care of it.
I am NOT a fan of the DMV here and the last time I had to have my license renewed, I drove to NEEDLES, CA, (4 hours each way) for a walk in renewal with written and eye test. While there I visited and spent the night with a former neighbor.

Yep, I am working from home today too! Lol… Hey, vacuuming is work.

Actually I am surprised you have not started the road trip already. I know how much you’ve been looking forward to this

I know for some people they may think I am crazy to look forward to this show but this is the biggest one around these parts. Having 4 buildings full of trains is an awesome venue. Lots of vendors and variety here. I have been to a lot of big big shows over the years this does rank in my top 5.
I have been to St. Louis MO shows, Chicago, IL shows, Milwaukee, WI shows, Tampa/Orlando, FL and Scranton, PA. I even been to one in Cincinati OH which was impressive as well.

They really do usually have good deals and most will bargain with you if you are polite and diplomatic about your approach. Also it helps if you do purchase more than one item/multiple sales is key for them and me. I always do well. I take my time. What I do when I first get there, is I do one quick moving sweep of all of the HO tables in all of the buildings. I only stop if something is rare or on my list then I quickly make the buy. Then I continue my sweep. Later I go back over everything thoroughly and slow. I usually find what I am looking for. My methods and madness works for me lol. It is a lot to cover but I have all day and I do take breaks in between. By the end of the day I am ready to go and get dinner.

I know for some people they may think I am crazy to look forward to this show but this is the biggest one around these parts. Having 4 buildings full of trains is an awesome venue. Lots of vendors and variety here. I have been to a lot of big big shows over the years this does rank in my top 5.
I have been to St. Louis MO shows, Chicago, IL shows, Milwaukee, WI shows, Tampa/Orlando, FL and Scranton, PA. I even been to one in Cincinati OH which was impressive as well.

They really do usually have good deals and most will bargain with you if you are polite and diplomatic about your approach. Also it helps if you do purchase more than one item/multiple sales is key for them and me. I always do well. I take my time. What I do when I first get there, is I do one quick moving sweep of all of the HO tables in all of the buildings. I only stop if something is rare or on my list then I quickly make the buy. Then I continue my sweep. Later I go back over everything thoroughly and slow. I usually find what I am looking for. My methods and madness works for me lol. It is a lot to cover but I have all day and I do take breaks in between. By the end of the day I am ready to go and get dinner.
That's what I like, a man with a plan, even a mad one. 🤣 🤣

I do the same thing, but I'm new to Trains. What you describe was me going to a gun show. Get there early and make a first loop, making notes along the way, but the first loop is looking for things I gotta have, and don't want to wait to make an offer.

What I always found frustrating was finding tables with all the contents under a blanket... nobody manning the tables (yet), and you can't see what they have... just because a vendor is running late. Messes my system up, LOL!

I'm so far behind. I did read most of the posts.

Divorce - nobody ever wants to get a divorce. Sometimes there is no alternative. A toxic relationship is too much stress for anyone.
Yes, in my case divorce was financial ruin. Good news was I still had my most productive years remaining

Pickel Ball - There was a time i would play any game with a ball! Last time I tried to play ball was volleyball at my grandson's birthday party. I thought I did surprisingly good. If the ball came within my reach I handled it, even spiked a few. If I had to move, forget it.
Afterwards my wife told me "You looked like a big baby trying not to fall down"
Jeff - Knee problems and sudden movements can cause more knee problems.

Maryland's MVA - No complaints, in and out in 30 minutes or less in recent years.

Boris - More shiny PC locomotives, please!

Good Afternoon All. Temperature has dropped to 38°, wind has died down and rain has stopped for a while. Still no snow or other wintery mix. Rainfall total so far is 0.9". Trip to doctor and back was not easy with all of the road spray from trucks on I-35. Looks like snow up in Patrick's area from this system, but I don't know how heavy. It's 50 miles away from here in two directions so we'll see soon if it is going to affect us.
I'm about to bundle up and head for the train shed. Lots that I could do out there.
BBL

I was not really a Train Show shopper or at least until the shows re-opened last Winter (2021) I wasn’t. I preferred the layouts and speaking to and seeing the manufacturers booths.

That changed in 2/21 at the MadCity Show in Madison, Wisconsin, maybe 10 miles away. I had told a few folks who wanted to meet me there, nope not going. Saturday morning moping around Terry says take your list and go. So I did. Just like Alcomotive browsed the tables 1st, then started back using my list and worked the tables and vendors. It was fun, purchases were only for weathering and selling down the road stuff.

Trainfest 2022, to me was ok in Milwaukee this year. With my new focus on buying instead of looking I was a bit disappointed. Trainfest before Covid was a show for layouts, Manufacturers and then vendors. Next year though hopefully Kalmbach now the event sponsor will do a better job. They need to decide their focus and not try to be everything to everybody

James, wishing you the best on your adventure

Maryland's MVA - No complaints, in and out in 30 minutes or less in recent year

Louis, you must lead a charmed life. At the MD MVA I've been lied to and run in circles more times than I need to count. There is a independent title and tag place 1 mile from work. The couple bucks they charge more than make up aggravation that they save me!

I always thought it was funny when my oldest sister bought a car here, paid MD sales tax. Moved to Kansas for college, got Kansas tags and was assessed sales tax again when she changed states. Fast forward several years, she moved back to MD and had to pay tax on the car for a 3rd time!
Buy 1 car, pay tax 3 times. Sounds fair to me! 😕

Switching tags from state to state has by nature been a scam. As a former MD State Inspector, I've see more than I care to remember. MD has some of the toughest State inspection rules. For years, I had to fail cars from PA, VA and WVa. that folks had just purchased out of state and cannot be tagged in MD until 2-3,000 dollars worth of repairs are done. Why can't all states be the same? Gubmint sponsored scam if you ask me!

BBL

Not my picture but it is cool!

1674602010058.png

Struggling with Gamoras face, but it looks better

Attachments

• E10D225C-1C6F-4768-98DF-D80893DA4C7B.jpeg
    E10D225C-1C6F-4768-98DF-D80893DA4C7B.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 37
  • 06602714-2D0E-49E7-AAB8-915DA7E4427B.jpeg
    06602714-2D0E-49E7-AAB8-915DA7E4427B.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1E178DA1-1194-46B3-84D1-BA167AE558B3.jpeg
    1E178DA1-1194-46B3-84D1-BA167AE558B3.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 0B75211E-ECA7-4750-8701-00CD25BE703B.jpeg
    0B75211E-ECA7-4750-8701-00CD25BE703B.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 34
  • F1C2FBD6-4CE7-4FFF-B11E-3262C645FBA3.jpeg
    F1C2FBD6-4CE7-4FFF-B11E-3262C645FBA3.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 36
I always thought it was funny when my oldest sister bought a car here, paid MD sales tax. Moved to Kansas for college, got Kansas tags and was assessed sales tax again when she changed states. Fast forward several years, she moved back to MD and had to pay tax on the car for a 3rd time!
Buy 1 car, pay tax 3 times. Sounds fair to me! 😕

That is a scam. I've always gotten credit for sales tax paid in one state when moving to a new state. As long as the rate at the old state was the same or higher I didn't have to pay anything. If the old state's rate was less I had to pay the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back