Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The staffing model corporate is going for equates the human resource to a machine that does not need maintenance or greasing. At least that is what it sounds like.

There are many, many wealthy investors I would be happy to see in jail. The enablers to inhuman work hours and conditions. Unfortunately, they seem to be running the country.
Well said Dave, our governments keep letting the same things happen over and over again and wonder why nothing changes. I think it works for them and they are part of the problem eluded to above.

As for our day up here, I expect to have more trees to clean up

wind warning again.png

A tough nut to crack. The sick time issue is most certainly a valid point, but on the other hand, you have a shutdown during the holidays that would devastate the economy. Glad this one isn't on me!
I think a RR strike is what the country needs. Government can’t control inflation but the guy next door sure can. Don’t buy, don’t spend. If there is no product out there you can’t buy. That would shake things up. People think the politicans are going to look out for the American people by saying it’s a security issue. It will wreck the economy BS, the economy is already wrecked under there watch. The issues are political. Donors to the parties ( big business money) tells most politicians how to vote.

No matter what the RR workers really do, nothing will change. They get a nice pay increase retro active and really not much else changes. Overall, they still get screwed. The RR workers I personally know echo what the interviewed workers say, they have no quality of life. Think the media is biased, they are but this time the coverage really shows the corporate side not the laborer’s issues.

I had vacation and sick time at all my jobs. At the last one they finally (last 10 years or so) grouped time off and called it PTO to be used at any time. But, it also was use it or lose it. One of the jobs I had for 11 years, when I left I had 26 weeks of vacation accumulated, sick days did not carry over.

Will this affect me? Personally not much for Terry and I. We can absorb any changes. But for the guys and gals down the street, oh yeah. Price hikes coming everywhere just like the past 6 months. As one party has ideas the other says no, it will work out

rant over, no names or parties specifically mentioned

The rail workers are clamoring for time off.
I just checked and found locomotive engineers average about $97K a year. Low is $55K, high end is $131K.
They have a demanding job and the pay is commensurate for that responsibility.
Corporate, military and political leaders draw a large check too, but there are responsibilities that severely hamper the free time off.
Those are the downsides of high paying jobs.
If ya don't like the whole thing, move on to a lessor job.

I see this question all the time. The answer is: I can. 😉 It's also because they are what most hobbyists want. We pushed the market there. We have younger guys in the club that turn up with these cars all the time, so it's not just the more successful of us. It's also worthy of note that many of these freight car runs sell out proving that there is substantial demand for them. Of course, you don't have to spend that much. There are plenty of lower priced offerings out there. Athearn has three tiers for example with their Roundhouse line being very cost effective. There is also nice stuff from Bachmann, and if you like swap meets there are literally tons of unbuilt "new old stock" or estate Athearn blue box kits at pretty much every train show I ever went to. Like any hobby, there are multiple price points for those with different sized wallets. :) One quick question: Pensionados? I thought maybe you meant pensioners, but I googled the word, and it means: Philippine students studying abroad whose expenses are paid by the government. Never met one of those!
Alan,

At one time I had 15+ of the highly detailed freight cars. I always aspired to that, however my clumsy fingers changed that.

Also, in photographs, they didn't look that much better, or maybe it's my eyesight?

Long story short, they are gone and replaced by Athearn, roundhouse, and Walther kits.

If they look good from a distance, that works for me. Guests didn't seem to notice, either.
To each his own, as they say.

I just checked and found locomotive engineers average about $97K a year. Low is $55K, high end is $131K.
Corporate, military and political leaders draw a large check too, but there are responsibilities that severely hamper the free time off.

Interesting you say that and I do agree on some of the sentiments you said and what others are saying too.

In my case, I changed jobs recently not by choice. During the tail end of the COVID lock down in NY spring of 2021. I worked at a company 10 years and I had 21 days of vacation time (can carry over 5 days a year), 7 days of sick pay (use it or lose it) and 17 paid holidays were recognized. (2 days each for Christmas, New Years and Thanksgiving) So I was layed off by the CEO as it was a hard decision for her. She had to let go the entire division that I was Director of. I got a great severance package and used my time wisely before taking my next job. Yes, I was worried with finding a new job but I did get one to my choosing. I had a lot of lucrative offers money wise and benefits wise BUT the one thing they all had in common was no time off. Most places start with one week or 2 weeks a year if you are lucky and of course now most corporate places only do pro-rated time off which to me is BS. So with the time I had off since being layed off I took my time in the job search and interviewed several companies, government office entities etc. I found a company that pays well but also was able to negotiate more time off vs. more/less pay. I sacrificed in the beginning 15k for 7 extra days off which was a deal for me. So now I have 21 days off again. Now in my second year I made that 15k back already plus 12% more on my salary. We all have choices and we can pick and choose what to do or where to work. Some people disagree but I understand there are circumstances but it's all about sacrifice and priorities in my humble opinion. At 54 I will probably work another 15 years or so before I retire God willing or my mind & body willing lol. I always have to be doing something so I will go as long as I can. Eventually I hope to venture a move to Alabama in the future but at the moment it is not in the cards while I tending to my parents here. A sacrifice I am willing to make and do for the love of my family. I feel as family grow, from a child to an elderly we come full circle. When your parents, if you are a fortunate one to have them growing up, you return the favor to care for them as they did for you when you were young. So in their golden years you care for them.

When I was in my 20s I interned with Union Pacific in North Little Rock AR when I was attending the UALR. I was given an opportunity to work for them but I chose a different line of work with another company and field/career choice. Do I regret it? No. I often wonder though what if I chose that path but those thoughts go away quickly as I am happy with the career I chose and the life it gave me along with the people I met over the years. I will say though when I lived in Arkansas in the early 90s it was an incredible time to see the mergers unfold before me of Union Pacific. Lots of good memories there! Lots of 35mm film too!

Alan,

At one time I had 15+ of the highly detailed freight cars. I always aspired to that, however my clumsy fingers changed that.

Also, in photographs, they didn't look that much better, or maybe it's my eyesight?

Long story short, they are gone and replaced by Athearn, roundhouse, and Walther kits.

If they look good from a distance, that works for me. Guests didn't seem to notice, either.

David,

That's so very true most people do not notice the infinite details. I have a mixed bag of cars from Blue Box Athearns to Genesis Athearns, Roundhouse, Bev-Bels, Caboose Hobbies, Red Robin, Walthers, Details West, Tangent, Bluford Shops, Bowser, Intermountain, and so on. I feel it to each his/her own too. I find that I like having kits to build and some are actually quite good others not so much but serve a purpose or even can be detailed up even more to be better. I do get a fulfillment when doing kits. At one point I thought about weeding out or purging all of the old school stuff and only having the 100 dollar cars that are highly detailed and I thought that was ridiculous but it is my opinion that I deemed not necessary. Some of those highly detailed cars are more fragile than egg shells and end up being broken and need repairs. So I like having the variety. I know I have more cars than I will ever be able to have on my layout (750 plus) at one time at the moment or even when I build my garage extension that layout may not be able to hold all of that I have on my roster either. I simply do not care. I do purge now and then when I do a re-assessment each year. In general though it is a hobby we do what we want as we see fit. I am just fortunate enough to be able to this hobby along with all the other hobbies I have. Isn't life grand! LOL

Re: paid time off...

Many companies these days bifurcate Paid time off between scheduled and non-scheduled. Kind of like sick versus vacation, but it's just a pool of hours you can use. Scheduled time off preserves holiday pay. Call off the day before or the day after a holiday, and you lose the holiday pay.

As someone else mentioned, back in the late 80's/early 90's it was vogue to call all it all Paid Time Off ("PTO") PTO, rather than 2 weeks of vacation and 1 week of sick. Now, we are seeing a return to the same concept as Vacation & Sick, but they call it scheduled and non scheduled.

It's unfortunate that any company wouldn't afford their work force paid time off for either scenario.

My sentiments exactly. Railroad employees and time off is not new, they have been clamoring about it for over 50 years that I know of; probably longer. It hasn't changed. While I think that asking for unpaid sick time is a legitimate request, they all knew the rules when they signed on, or at least they should have known them. As I pointed out in an earlier post, 8 of the 12 unions involved voted for the new contract, so it seems like some renegade unionists are trying to overstate their point by threatening to strike.

Afternoon All,

Started out in the train room dusting structures but still need to clean the TT pit. Did a lot of inside chores. Tomorrow I'm spraying weed killer around the house and pool deck, flower beds (outside edge of bricks) and fence line. It usually takes me about 2 hours and a set of tired hands from the sprayer. I do it twice a year. I'm meeting up with my friend Jon on Friday and he'll take a look at my misbehaving loco.

Hughie- That will be a neat looking industry on your layout.

Snowman- The EMBT for the movie occured off of Port Angeles area in the strait of Juan de Fuca and took several tries until the film makers were happy. I can't remember which boat was used at this point. When the EMBT is actuated a sharp upward angle is maintained. It feels like riding a fast freight elevator to the surface and you get a roller coaster type feeling when the boat breaches and falls back into the water. You also need to hang onto something to keep from falling (angle).

Louis- I'm very sorry for your loss.

Trussrod- It's great to see you back in the coffee shop. I hope things are going well for you.

TomO- We went table top this year. Same tree but just the upper 2 parts (full tree is 3 parts).

Dave- Great sceme. I love the station. You can't find the trucks you want at KD?

Willie- Nice scenes. I always enjoy reading your signage.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I think a RR strike is what the country needs. Government can’t control inflation but the guy next door sure can. Don’t buy, don’t spend. If there is no product out there you can’t buy. That would shake things up. People think the politicans are going to look out for the American people by saying it’s a security issue. It will wreck the economy BS, the economy is already wrecked under there watch. The issues are political. Donors to the parties ( big business money) tells most politicians how to vote.

No matter what the RR workers really do, nothing will change. They get a nice pay increase retro active and really not much else changes. Overall, they still get screwed. The RR workers I personally know echo what the interviewed workers say, they have no quality of life. Think the media is biased, they are but this time the coverage really shows the corporate side not the laborer’s issues.

I had vacation and sick time at all my jobs. At the last one they finally (last 10 years or so) grouped time off and called it PTO to be used at any time. But, it also was use it or lose it. One of the jobs I had for 11 years, when I left I had 26 weeks of vacation accumulated, sick days did not carry over.

Will this affect me? Personally not much for Terry and I. We can absorb any changes. But for the guys and gals down the street, oh yeah. Price hikes coming everywhere just like the past 6 months. As one party has ideas the other says no, it will work out

rant over, no names or parties specifically mentioned
I don't disagree with any of that. I think PTO should be on the table. It appears there's not good answer here. Looks like the house passed a separate bill calling for a week of paid sick days along with one to force the deal. Now we follow the vote. Remember what Reagan did to the air traffic controllers? I don't have the warm and fuzzies.

RE paid time off...

For some the options are limited so feel stuck in a job with awful conditions. While I worked for Halliburton it was swing shifts one week nights, one week days, one week off. Sounds really nice but the shifts were not 12 hours but usually 15-17 leaving me an anxious wreck trying to get some sleep and me time in, not to mention time for the spouse. However, I felt that I had no option at the time. On the plus side they let us take off mental health days, without pay, but also no negative consequences from management.

When management needed to squeeze out more profits our week off got shorter and the days longer, staffing decreased and my health suffered to the extent that quitting was the only option. What a depressing scenario, I believe a lot of RR workers may be facing.

Thankfully I now have a County job with good time off and benefits, pay almost nothing for my health care, and also respect from the community. Thank God!

Curt: I have several sets of passenger trucks new in the box all different configs but because of the way Bachmann did the trusses they will not work. The old ones that came with the combine ended up in the waste cause of the cheap appearance. Maybe I will rebuild the trusses with something that looks more realistic?

Dusting - do you use a brush, vacuum, or what works best for you? I use a makeup brush but is very time consuming.

Alan,

Photos aren't enough. You have to have them "in hand" as risky as that is. 😁 If you put one of those Tangent tank cars against an Atlas, or even older Red Caboose kits, or even the Tichy kit, you'd definitely see the difference. Even at three feet, and I'm a firm believer in the "three-foot rule". I invoke it often. There are indeed decent models that are cheaper, but I'm glad to have the choice available.

(Off topic)
Hi Brunette, (Yes, I'm the same old Trussrod-David using a new facade as I had to re-register, long story.)

My Condolences regarding your Mom's passing as well as your sister too, that's rough. I just got on the forum yesterday and somehow saw your post about loosing your Mom. (?)
David, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad to hear from you made my day brighter, thank you!

Good early evening or late afternoon. 5:21pm as I start this. Cold is outside with the wind chills around +5. Not nice.

I took inventory of the rolling stock this afternoon instead of working on either of the Papermills

Divided the cars into 2005, 2015 and cars for either dates. Put it on an Excel program. I have 27 cars for 2005, 27 for both dates and 22 for running the 2015 date. Total for operations is 76 cars. I also have 8 walthers kits and some BB that I didn’t bother logging on the inventory sheet. Messing all this up is I have 9 more pulp cars per the USPS being delivered tomorrow and ARMN reefer cars on Friday and 5 tank cars in the USPS system not yet set for delivery. The addition of the ARMN reefers and the tank cars are needed to balance the flow. I still am trying to figure why I purchased the pulp cars except they were a super great deal.

I am leaning towards selling the 27 cars designated for 2005 opt sessions.

I have Fleetwood Mac playing in the background. We saw them twice over the years, the Rumors Tour and the Tusk.

stay comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back