Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, 15° and clear, stars are were all out earlier and an owl was hooting incessantly while getting ready for the commute,

Not much traffic today except big dead deer in the middle of the road, I told the guys in the shop they will clear it out shortly...

Smudge and all - thanks for the morning chuckle

Mara - I will get some dimensions, oh, here they are:

Model T.png

These should be the best numbers. Source: Wikipedia

You will have to search on ebay to find the kit.

Another shot of the backside of the mill/office building. I need to get some details back here, thinking about a mule team, wagon, and guys loading lumber:

IMG_2880.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 49°, it sprinkled here a little while ago, not enough to measure in my rain gauge. Rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast for tomorrow. Rain is still in the forecast for Friday and Saturday as well, with the heaviest day being Friday. Prior to the front getting here, it's supposed to dump a record amount of snow on the North Texas area known as the Panhandle between Lubbock and Amarillo. It will not be cold enough here

Turkey is finally thawed and I'll be mixing up the brine in a couple of hours. This is actually the first time that I am brining a turkey myself. I've eaten them before but never did I do it. My wife made six pounds of homemade cranberry yesterday, so that's ready. Later today, the pies and dressing come out of the freezer and I'll load them in the car tonight to save time tomorrow morning. I'll be cooking the turkey at my daughter's home where the family will gather later in the day. SIL picked up all of the rental chairs yesterday, between my two daughters and a friend, we had enough tables to set up. Should be a festive occasion. The thunderstorms predicted for tomorrow, while they will be a hassle if they are during drive time for anyone, won't be a problem for the festivities. She has a 900 sq ft covered patio for guest overflow in addition to two family rooms. Tables will be in the living room/dining room area.

Yesterday was mostly spent assisting my wife with various chores. I did spend some time out in the garden, still clearing out the tomato plants, almost done. I'm not in any hurry. I also shoveled a wagon load of compost from the compost pile and spread it out over half of the area. Today I will be stacking some dry firewood on the side of the front porch for use on Friday, since I won't be here most of tomorrow.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding my progress that I posted yesterday.

I made no progress yesterday out in the train shed, as a matter of fact, I didn't even go out there. Kinda unusual for me. So I looked through the archives for some shots that I don't think that I have posted, at least in a while.
Let me start with a manifest freight running through Charlottesville in April 2019.
04-02-19 010.JPG
04-02-19 011 (2).JPG
04-02-19 012 (2).JPG
04-02-19 013 (2).JPG

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving Eve. Prayers and well wishes continue for Tom O.

I wish coffee gave me energy! I wish I could be more productive like you, Patrick, and others.

I used to be a "high motor" guy. How I feel determines my energy level now. Even when I feel good my back and hips limit how long I can spend on my feet. I'm not complaining, thank God I can do the little I can do. I may not be productive all day. I am, however, productive almost every day regardless of how I feel. That production might be limited to only a few hours. Something is better than nothing.
Try walking the dog at least twice a day, every day, rain or shine.
Every single step helps to delay the natural loss of muscle tissue through aging, and helps you to feel highly active. I know! I've been walking dogs through the forest for the past 40years, even before and after I went to work. Plus, those walks give a person time to think and find peace.

I've always thought that if one just quits, then you simply die off.

Morning all,

Busy since I got in this morning. Largest class of new hires starting Monday in a long time. Usually it's one or 2, but 7 is a big number. I don't want their emails getting stuff until they start, so it's usually close to the last minute.

Like Willie, weather may be a little rainy here today (non yet) and tomorrow through Saturday. We are supposed to be on the northern end of the what ever it is coming through. Looks like SW Texas is going to get buried with the white stuff this weekend. No snow predicted for here.

try to BBL

changing the subject a little, I thought about asking about your worst thanksgiving in a few words, like 50 or less. Actually, first I thought about your best thanksgiving but you can decide.

Best Thanksgiving: 1991. Menagha, MN. We had a record high around 55° F. I worked all morning cruising timber in the Huntersville State Forest. Was all Jack pine, no brush, like a park for several square miles. I made a canned ham, mashed potatoes, etc for supper. Did not talk to a soul that day as everyone was celebrating with family. (See worst thanksgiving for background)

Worst Thanksgiving: 1990. Was at parents with siblings. Big brothers car quit running south of the cities and Dad decided all 4 boys and he will pile into a 1977 Chevy pickup with car hauler trailer and drive down there (about 70 miles, on the other side of St. Paul) and recover the car. Dad did not have the tow hitch properly secured (which I informed him of and he ignored with a scowl) and trailer started to swerve seriously (on the freeway I-35) probably almost killed all of us. He pulls over and announces we are leaving the car and trailer down there and going home. Rest of the day very awkward. Secretly decided not to do family events if at all possible. Generally, I was not allowed to talk in our family so prolly why he ignored me.

All the same I forgive all hold no bitterness move on Thankful for what I have today and what I have been given.

All the same I forgive all hold no bitterness move on Thankful for what I have today and what I have been given.
You are a wise man.

My Godmother once told me "Don't hold hate or anger in your heart. It only poisons you"

Best thanksgiving... Any one of the ones spent with my second wife. I really screwed it up the first time.

Worst... can't think of one. I try to let go of negative memories. "No negative waves baby" :D

Welp... I missed the joke. Drat!

Don't miss poly tics nor religion. I appreciate everyone's rights to them. But those conversations never turn out well.

Got a jump on writing my new Canadian mystery series. Got permission to write in two of my author friends. We'll see how they appreciate them. One is payback, since she decided to do a play on my name for each book in her new series, and kill "my" character off in each book. She had me listing grandparent's last names, etc so she could build her database.

So, she's in my series as the "Mundane" or muggle who doesn't realize she's in a fairy town. and since this character is also a mystery author, she'll try to solve all the murders (poorly since she's not the main character).

Don't honk an author off. they may put you in a book as the victim. Or worse, the clueless ditzy character.

You are a wise man.

My Godmother once told me "Don't hold hate or anger in your heart. It only poisons you"

Best thanksgiving... Any one of the ones spent with my second wife. I really screwed it up the first time.

Worst... can't think of one. I try to let go of negative memories. "No negative waves baby" :D
Forgot the " woof woof" afterwards..😁

See if anyone gets the reference...

Worst Thankgiving was my first and only one in the Air Force. As a rope (student leader), we had weekends where we were in charge of the dorms. Fortunately about 1\2 the airmen were granted leave, but I had to stay in the building. Couldn't even go the movies on base or to the midnight chow hall.

I can't think of a "worst" Thanksgiving, but maybe this one would be memorable as one of the more boring or depressing ones.

Back in 94 I was single and had been unemployed a few months after being layed off from WordPerfect and was trying to start my own self employment.

I was living in Utah and decided to drive back to New Hampshire to visit some friends and hang out. I loaded up a few rifles and stuff and found someone at BYU who wanted to be a rider -- he was driving back to Connecticut for the Thanksgiving holiday -- and we took off on a non-stop cross country journey. We got to Connecticut Thursday, Thanksgiving morning, and I dropped him off at a meeting point he arranged with his family and went on to New Hampshire. I got there around noon and tried to find a restaurant that was open so I could "celebrate" the holiday. I found nothing. This was before smart phones etc so I had to just drive around trying to find the designated ones that were covering (I know around here you always get one or two open -- at least at that time you did -- seems now more are open on Thanksgiving). I spent the whole afternoon looking but found nothing.

My friend and his family, with whom I would be staying the couple weeks I was going to be in New England, had been invited out themselves to someone else's house for Thanksgiving so I was not able go with them as they were guests themselves. I finally showed up at their house later in the evening, still without having eaten more than car-snacks I had left from the trip. They fed me some supper and I did not tell them what time I had gotten to New Hampshire and what had happened. I didn't want them to feel bad.

A day or two later some friends from my hometown in Mass invited me for Sunday dinner where they repeated the traditional Thanksgiving meal using all their left overs, so I did get the meal associated with the holiday a few days later.

-----

We usually go to my parents house, or now my mom's hosue. This year she is out, at 81, galavanting around Egypt with my niece, her grand daughter. They left Monday via Paris. My sister, my niece's mom, is in Africa with her husband, who is a US Army reserve officer and currently the US Military Attache in one of the African countries near Libya and Egypt. My mom and niece met up with my sister and her sons (don't know if the oldest daughter who is in Mass at college went or not). So we won't be going to my mom's for Thanksgiving. She is not coming back until after the New Year. She'll be galavanting around Egypt and the country my BIL is attache in for a few weeks.

My sister up in Evanston invited us to go to their house for Thanksgiving. But my daughter has been sick with RSV (we suspect) and so we are not planning to go up there. We're not sure what we'll be doing but no one here wants to make the effort to make everything ourselves. It's gtoo late to order the (expensive) KFC turkey dinner and with my daughter sick we can't go to one of the restaurants that serve Thanksgiving around here. Don't know if we'll do Pizza, or steaks, or some rotisserie chicken from Costco or what. Have to go up and discuss it with my kids and when my wife gets home, her, to see what they want to do. She is off today but went out to do some stuff this morning. My vote is Pizza :). We can get a few Papa Murphy take and bake pizzas... I have a bunch of pies I bought to take to my sisters house and for us to have on the long weekend so we are set!

------

The funniest Thanksgiving was back around 2000 or 2001. I was recently married and my wife and I were living in New Hampshire, where I had moved in Dec 97 to work at a Y2K startup. (I got married in 2000 as a late comapred to average age for marrying :) ). My brother and his family had come from Utah to work at the same startup so lived in a condo in the same city. The startup had failed by now and I was self employed and my brother was working somewhere but still lived there. So we planned to do Thanksgiving together. I was going to cook the turkey and stuff and they would bring a bunch of the rest. But my sister in law said she had a turkey so I didn't have to buy one. I went and picked up the "Turkey", which was frozen and wrapped in a large shopping bag and let it defrost. Thursday morning, when I went to get it ready to stick in the oven for the later afternoon dinner, I discovered it wasn't a turkey. It was a bunch of frozen chicken or turkey legs in a big mass that frozen, we the right size and approximate shape of a turkey.

I drove to Walmart (which unfortunately for the workers was open) and bought a frozen Turkey. By now it was 10 or so am. I got it home and tried to do a quick unthw using water bath etc. It partially unfroze and I roasted it in the oven. The outer inch of meat was cooked but the inner part was still frozen so we had to be careful in carving it but we did have the turkey for dinner with my brother and his family. I had made pan stuffing and some other stuff and they had all the potatoes and other stuff and it worked out in the end. I finished thawing and cooking it and we had lots of left over turkey.

Don't know if we'll do Pizza, or steaks, or some rotisserie chicken from Costco or what. Have to go up and discuss it with my kids and when my wife gets home, her, to see what they want to do. She is off today but went out to do some stuff this morning. My vote is Pizza :). We can get a few Papa Murphy take and bake pizzas... I have a bunch of pies I bought to take to my sisters house and for us to have on the long weekend so we are set!

Family voted for steaks, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies, etc. Need to go to Costco to get some steaks. We have some in the freezer but a holiday demands nice fresh ones (since the freezer ones are all vacuum packed and I don't need more to do to pack replacement ones at some near future point).

Good afternoon, all! The weather forecast for Thanksgiving isn't to promising. There is a 90% chance of rain and thunderstorms. Fortunately most of the family lives within a few miles of us. The house is beginning to smell of fresh baked pies. A few other goodies later will only add to the aroma.
In between helping around the house in preparation for tomorrow's throng, I did work in a structure. I added the Sunset Motel, a Blair Line laser cut kit. It took 4 days, but I did get it planted a little while ago. Doesn't look too bad.

1669235373506.jpeg

I'd like to wish each and every one a very Happy Thanksgiving.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back