Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was bittersweet. I went to the cemetery to make arrangements for my Mom. It was the first time I saw our family plot and monument.

I never see defeat coming, winning is always the only option in my mind and my Mom knew it. I honestly believed my Mom would live to be 100. My Mom was wise to the end. She left me a folder with all the instructions, thank you Mom.

Yesterday was bittersweet. I went to the cemetery to make arrangements for my Mom. It was the first time I saw our family plot and monument.

I never see defeat coming, winning is always the only option in my mind and my Mom knew it. I honestly believed my Mom would live to be 100. My Mom was wise to the end. She left me a folder with all the instructions, thank you Mom.
I have a couple of books
1. Specifies valuable assets
2.specifies non valuable but family ‘heirlooms’ some of which could be mistaken for junk
3. How to sell items they are not interested in - my hobbies :(
4.how to control, electrics, water mains,sewage going out,
5 how to make money, if not forced to sell up or if forced to sell up,
surprising cash sources,old railway mags,paperbacks, old clothes- vintage,obsolete books eg medical advice deemed no good -although medical profession often backtracks quietly back to old advice in some cases,old coins, how to sell jewellery and not get ripped off,air b and b, rent stables, grow own veg,old tools, everything has a market and in some places sells low,but in others can actually sell well if slowly. I COULD GO ON BORING YOU.:)
6 just wish I could help avoid taxes

Halloween around our neck of the woods was less dark and more happy fun. For my nephew in particular this created costumes that were more like floats: In this case, as with the previous ones, the idea was his, the execution was mine.
The kids here trick-or-treated the stores along a four block long open mall. In some places the candy bowl was outside, held by one of the employees or volunteers, but in others the kids and their costumes went inside, so, and in order to make that possible, the handle of this cup was able to bend back about ninety degrees in order he could fit through the the door. It snapped back into place again with the aid of bungee cords--you can see the open and closing joint at the front edge.

I walked along behind him as his assistant. It was pretty well thought of, particularly by Japanese tourists, as he starred in quite a few cameo's.

Before this one, at about age eight he went out as a "slurry bomber." Probably unique in halloween history, that one. As with this one, the idea was his, inspired by the aircraft flying over his house every few minutes on their way out of Denver, fighting the big fires to the west. That one was a reasonably good costume version of a P-3 Orion, used CD's for spinning props and Yoplait yogurt canisters for the four engine nacelles. It also sported folding wings so he could get through the doors to get his candy, and a "Candy in here please" lifting door atop the fuselage just behind the cockpit. As with this later costume, I followed along as his assistant. Working running lights too, of course, as he also had to go trick-or-treating after dark....

There was a daytime parade in a nearby town where that costume was a real hit. Enough so that a guy came up to him afterward and said "great costume. Do you know what the airplane is?"

"Yup. It's a P-3 Orion."*

[*the airplane had been on the front page of our local paper on at least one occasion, which inspired him, but we also discussed the design, so he knew]

"I flew on one myself," said this fellow. "That part of the fuselage (I made it with soft foam, so it wouldn't poke anyone following too close behind) that extends out behind the tail (the vertical fin). Do you know what that is?"
My nephew (he was eight) looked him right in the eye. "Yes. It's a magnetic anomaly field detector. That's how it used to find submarines."

I THINK he asked me about it when we were building the plane (I can't remember now), so I can't say for sure if he was right all these years later, but the guy was sure impressed.

My nephew liked it enough that he hung it from his bedroom ceiling for three years...and he used it at least once (or even twice--can't remember) in the following years

After that, and before the cocoa, he went out as french fries--"Supersize Me!" His candy bag was, of course, an upside down french fry. That one got him onto the front page of the local paper, which pleased him no end (me too).

I still have all three--I know I still have the airplane under the garage stairs. I'd rather not dig it out, so I will try to find some "action photos."

------------

I CAN and do build stuff--or did anyway--and have recently stumbled across a few of the HO buildings I gave him which he saved and gave back to me in a large box. Unfortunately a lot of them have gone missing too.
I'll try and take some photos and post a few pics of those. Unfinished--un-assembled scratchbuilds in fact-- but I still did some pretty good work, I think.

1667317705062.png
1667317703501.png

Last edited:
Ok, I mentioned posting a dumb blonde joke, so here we go. It's the first of the month:

[*apologies to you, Jaz avalley, but I hope you will get a laugh from it too. And not be offended]

==================

So the "dumb blonde" (let's see just how dumb) is tooling along in her convertible one afternoon, when suddenly...oh no! Flashing red lights in the rear-view mirror! She pulls over to the side of the road.

Another glance in the mirror shows a motorcycle cop wearing a helmet and dark shades getting off the bike and starting forward.

[I know...I'll use my best winning smile on him!] So she turns and looks over her shoulder just in time to see the cop remove his helmet...
...only he's not a him--she's a her! And she's a blonde, too!!

[Da*n! That isn't going to work. Now what am I going to do?]

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Uh...no, not really."

"License and registration please...".

[And now her hands are really starting to shake. She wants my what and my what?]

The driver starts fumbling around, looking confused. The cop starts tapping her foot. "You will usually find your registration in the glove box........"
{But I don't even WEAR gloves!]

The cop is visibly annoyed now, and her voice is starting to drip with sarcasm:

"It's a piece of paper with some letters on it.... Try that little door over on the passenger's side. The one in the middle of the dash...".
[Oh, right! I remember now.] And [yes! This must be it! Darned if the cop wasn't right!!!]

She offers it up with a sigh of relief. The cop takes, it, nods ever so slightly, then prompts her, once again, for the other:
"And your driver's license." This leads to more fumbling.

"It'll be in your purse." Still more fumbling, but at least now in the right place.

"It has your picture on it...".

Still more rummaging around, when suddenly she finds her makeup compact (the kind with a mirror inside the lid), opens it up and...YES! That's me!

She hands it over to the cop.

The cop opens it up...and after a few moments she gets a VERY annoyed look on her face. "Aw HE*L!!!," she grumbles as she flips it back through the air toward the driver. She turns away, and growls back over her shoulder as she stomps back to her bike:

"If I'd known YOU were a cop too, I'd never have pulled you over in the first place!!!"

Morning all,

Halloween was quiet. Local grandkids came by, their parents parked in our driveway, and off they went. The granddaughter was a cheerleader from some Disney movie and the grandson was a moody middle schooler (his words). He did hear the comments about being a little old. He is in 7th grade, heard those same comments at about that age. Busy Bodies.

Currently 50° and partly cloudy, high of 80° later.

I like pumpkin pie, but pumpkin spice anything else usually tastes nasty. I think I'll pass.

Good Morning All. Clear and 53° on this moonshiny morning. No change in the weather forecast, mid-50's to mid 70's for at least ten more days of shorts and tee shirt weather, although with rain on Friday. My kind of fall.

Nothing special about yesterday, I ran the mower to pick up leaves and seed pods from the Honeylocust trees, picked tomatoes and worked on the compost pile, adding charcoal ashes and the contents of several grass catcher bags. Today I will shred some brush and add that on top. I can already sense veggies growing from it next spring. Ended the day by grilling burgers from some "grass-fed organic ground beef" that my wife bought at some store in Dallas Saturday while she was there. Well, aren't most cows fed grass (hay) for most of their lives? It did taste a bit different though, than beef that goes through the feedlot process.
Last night made it 46 years in a row with no trick or treaters at the SFW estate. I even left the light on!
1667301955267.png

On the agenda this morning is a cardiologist visit at 9:00. While it's intended to be a follow-up to the stent put in back in June, my BP has been all over the place lately and I need to get that figured out.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding my slow progress on the diner.

Speaking of the diner, I made a change in paint plans out in the train shed yesterday. After touching it up yesterday, I decided to add another stripe to the building. This time a blue one along the bottom above the painted concrete foundation.
IMG_2322.JPG

Looks like the roof has a bit of a bow in it.
IMG_2323.JPG

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'll have to glue it on; a step that I usually don't take so I can add lighting or figures later on.
Then I realized another manufacturer issue with the roof ventilators. Looks like the one on the right was a "short-shot" in the injection molding process. I'll Email them, but it will probably be easier to just look in the spare parts box for another, or a pair so they match each other.
IMG_2321 (2).JPG

NFL Football - While I don't really watch it anymore, I have been a Cowboys fan since they came into the league in 1960. Their games were televised in NOLA when we lived there and we then moved to Dallas in 1961. I have always disliked Philadelphia, especially their fans, and some of their coaches over the years, notably Buddy Ryan. I have seen maybe 20 minutes of various games this year, which is more than I saw in the last three years combined. My wife is a "super fan" and has the game on every week with the accompanying swearing and cheering.
Patrick - I take it as a good sign that you use Microsoft's antivirus on your home system. I think that I have that as well as AVG, but I am not really sure.
Ken (D&J) - Growing up and on into the 90's, I always heard bad things about the VA health care. But it seems to have mostly turned around in the last 25 years according to the veterans that I know around here.

In the Catholic Church as in many other Christian religions, today is All Saints Day. That means that tomorrow is Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) for all of the Mexican people here in Texas. More on that tomorrow.

Everybody have a great day.

Lots of candy left over from yesterday. I need to get rid of it soon so I don't end up eating it all.
I hear two versions of the VA hospital. One friend says he would only use them for annual physicals but goes to a civilian provider for anything more serious. He reflects on several of his Vietnam era friends who have died after going to the VA for help. My other friend who is paralyzed from a parachuting accident almost two years ago says the VA spinal cord injury department is top notch. Really? this is from a guy who is paralyzed for life and the VA couldn't fix it? I think I'll keep the VA at arms distance and only use them for glasses and hearing aids.
Day of the Dead? Sounds more like another Zombie movie. In a more serious vein though, how does that reconcile with, ya die once then you're judged?
Time to go for the morning walk, then do some more work on the heavy-duty flat car kit.

Good morning all, almost forgot about the new month, read the old posts then realized the thread was locked.

I did some painting of my little figures last eve, these look like they will turn our nice. Patience and a good magnifying glass seem to be the key ingredients.

Yesterday afternoon I snapped this shot of a bunch of swans while driving around the county

IMG_2802r.JPG

You can see most of the leaves have dropped. It was a beautiful day, got up to 64 and we have two more mild days before seasonal temps come back.

will be back later ... Dave LASM

Two really elaborate tank cars right there.
Yeah, they are, which is part of the appeal of the train. The tank car itself, the pump house, the toolbox with hose and firefighting tools & equipment. If you look at the loco, there's tons of extra water piping and two monitors (water cannons for you non firefighting types) up front above the headlight. There's also a pilot on the rear water car, as the train had to be operable in either direction. I bet it got exciting going to a fire in reverse at 60 MPH! It's really a neat little train.

This is the new place. Be sure to ask about Mel's Pumpkin Spice Surprise.
As people are being mean about the pumpkin, I will hold my hand up and say I would love to try it, I love courgette,marrow,zuccini,squash,red,blue,orange butternut,all yummy.
1. Cut like chips put in air dryer so like fried add salt and vinegar…yum yum
2. Cut out hollow add minced meat stew or other veggies, paprika to potatoes tomatoes onions personal favourites
3. Soup, make chunks cook chunks in half the fruit add curry spices, cream,cream of coconut,korma, yum yum

Ok, I mentioned posting a dumb blonde joke, so here we go. It's the first of the month:

[*apologies to you, Jaz avalley, but I hope you will get a laugh from it too. And not be offended]

==================

So the "dumb blonde" (let's see just how dumb) is tooling along in her convertible one afternoon, when suddenly...oh no! Flashing red lights in the rear-view mirror! She pulls over to the side of the road.

Another glance in the mirror shows a motorcycle cop wearing a helmet and dark shades getting off the bike and starting forward.

[I know...I'll use my best winning smile on him!] So she turns and looks over her shoulder just in time to see the cop remove his helmet...
...only he's not a him--she's a her! And she's a blonde, too!!

[Da*n! That isn't going to work. Now what am I going to do?]

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Uh...no, not really."

"License and registration please...".

[And now her hands are really starting to shake. She wants my what and my what?]

The driver starts fumbling around, looking confused. The cop starts tapping her foot. "You will usually find your registration in the glove box........"
{But I don't even WEAR gloves!]

The cop is visibly annoyed now, and her voice is starting to drip with sarcasm:

"It's a piece of paper with some letters on it.... Try that little door over on the passenger's side. The one in the middle of the dash...".
[Oh, right! I remember now.] And [yes! This must be it! Darned if the cop wasn't right!!!]

She offers it up with a sigh of relief. The cop takes, it, nods ever so slightly, then prompts her, once again, for the other:
"And your driver's license." This leads to more fumbling.

"It'll be in your purse." Still more fumbling, but at least now in the right place.

"It has your picture on it...".

Still more rummaging around, when suddenly she finds her makeup compact (the kind with a mirror inside the lid), opens it up and...YES! That's me!

She hands it over to the cop.

The cop opens it up...and after a few moments she gets a VERY annoyed look on her face. "Aw HE*L!!!," she grumbles as she flips it back through the air toward the driver. She turns away, and growls back over her shoulder as she stomps back to her bike:

"If I'd known YOU were a cop too, I'd never have pulled you over in the first place!!!"
Groans….so glad I’m a brunette. Never ever tempted to change it either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back