Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be the problem, or is it the 25% from Philly? ;) :rolleyes:
One of my close friends lives in Philly. He always talks about how nasty the people in Philly are.
He loves Baltimore, I do too! :D
The only reason he has not moved to Baltimore is the union scale pay rate is higher in Philly.
Personally, I liked Philly the few times I visited.
I'm a bad judge, I have a bit little bit of Pollyanna vison I suppose.
People are nice to me wherever I go.

We have owned our Tesla since 2020,we never used the free super charge in the time limit, and we only charge to 80 percent except on long journeys, and I have never needed a supercharger, admittedly we do not go out for jolly’s (journeys with no reason) I have occasionally hit the Tesco with the other half he tops up with free solar I shop he watched tv or plays games and charges,they are getting the charging faster and faster, and other EVs are pushing solar, I plan on keeping mine not trading once we have the cybertruck. we will solar charge on our 3 phse

We did become aware of the cobalt issue, but Tesla appear to be addressing this.

I use a lot of batteries, and yes the cobalt issue is ghastly,had we been aware of it before buying it may have effected our choice. The unfortunate issue is when you look at almost anything we buy around the world, there are horrible issues with health,child labour.

I love prawns, but most of the supply is via slave labour.
Diamonds have a terrible history, and presently around the world there are atrocities, most gem stones or semi precious. The mineral right the Chinese have bought up worldwide on printed paper are mostly via countries we won’t deal with,they are not obliged to care for the land, open stripping is likely and they will not clean up after them, and they will employ local labour at the cheapest cost possible. rugs are often child labour those kids get no education to talk of and despite what one might think they also get maimed because no one bothers, I cannot disagree with you over cobalt, it is shameful, but it appears Musk is actually attempting to get less tainted goods to supply his batteries. He bought out one think tank because they had a viable alternative which he is using. much of our palm oil is illegal, Brazil does little to stop the Amazon being stripped. my mother in law on holiday in Africa was told she could give the kids sweeties,but not to give them money,as children had been attacked and even killed over cash. The world is deeply cruel, just chasing the next buck. I do not dismiss you cobalt claims I agree with them,and many battery manufacturers are not interested in improving their sources or technology in order or insisting that only supplies that are produced safely, because the governments they deal with do not care.
I used to buy charity cards at an inflated price,then found that 1penny went to the charity,I never bought cards since I do not do birthday cards or Xmas cards, my family know that they won’t get one from me. I used to give cash to charities,but have discovered that the bosses of charities now get bonuses similar to bankers. A friend used to help a charity house that was in poor condition,walking at almost no profit,then he was asked to go fix a toilet at the charity head quarters, they had posh offices,posh cars, and everyone was well dressed, while the place they collected money for struggled to feed its people,he still does help the charity house but he finds it hard to know where so much of the collected cash goes.
Tesla is trying, yeah Mysk is a little (sniggers) nutty but he tries.

I've only been down south a few times. The farthest South I have been was Fort Jackson South Carolina for my daughter's graduation from boot camp.
From my limited experience the people down south are very polite and hospitable. They enjoyed my accent as much as I enjoyed theirs.

Regardless, I would never leave Baltimore. Maryland has been great for me!
Louis:
On accents, Baltimore is more Southern, than Northern...Y'all are on THAT side of the Mason and Dixon Line. Even the "Connakers" of Slower Lower Delaware are on the OTHER side of the Mason - Dixon Line. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Granted, the accent in Bowie, and down in Charles Co and St. Marys Co, is different from Baltimore.

The only people I found that were not polite and hospitable were the guy who objected to my Don Mattlingly T Shirt in Myrtle Beach. (The same guy was respectful, the next day when I Had a RESCUE 2 (Brooklyn) T shirt on). Other encounters where when we were looking at those regimented 55+ housing developments near Charleston. (Not my cup of tea). For all I know, they were some of the New Yorkers George wrote of.
The only problem with either Savannah GA or The Crystal Coast of North Carolina was the heat and relentless humidity. Fort Jackson / Columbia SC was nice. Cool museum. But we were only there for 36 hours. Florida's Gulf Coast along their Panhandle west of Tallahassee, is the only part of that state I like.

One of my close friends lives in Philly. He always talks about how nasty the people in Philly are.
He loves Baltimore, I do too! :D
The only reason he has not moved to Baltimore is the union scale pay rate is higher in Philly.
Personally, I liked Philly the few times I visited.
I'm a bad judge, I have a bit little bit of Pollyanna vison I suppose.
People are nice to me wherever I go.
Philly people, I guess I'm one of them deep down in my genes. I never considered most to be nasty. Then again, I knew a lot of nice New Yorkers and Jersey people, but the people around here where I live, are different...defective or broken people who's families came from New York.

So, there are all kinds. I guess I didn't realize I was in competition with my neighbors for everything. I'll never understand resentment. 36 years later, we are all aging out, I don't give a crap, and "they" are still competing.

In any event Philly is OK, just that I always found Maryland better living.

Joe - What you describe of life in Jersey is pretty much what my son in law's parents describe. They are in a suburb of Philadelphia. They would like to move, but they own a business in Cherry Hill and that holds them back. I have read posts of yours that indicate the MIL is your hold up. You mention not fitting in the deep South, but folks here are more tolerant of "foreigners" than you think. Of course if you came to Texas, we would make fun of your accent until it abated somewhat, but it would always be in jest. I looked up property taxes after you posted it, my gosh, New Jersey is ridiculous! Texas has high property taxes since we don't have an individual state income tax, but ours tops out at 1.8% compared with Jersey at nearly 2.5%. Next door in Louisiana it's 0.55%, but they have an income tax. Closer to me is Oklahoma at 0.90%, also with income tax. I wish you well with whatever decision that you have to make, it seems like a tough one.
Willie: Another day of intense PT. I was very slow today, as I am quite sore. I'm also surprised how weak my right side is. Will have another go at it Friday. Hopefully, I will be less stiff and sore by then. Also, had an Echo C today...busy day!

I used to sort of consider myself a "Southerner", because I worked in DC, (Considered a Southern City), and lived in a DC Suburb, Bowie, MD. Never had a problem until one Saturday, when the wife and I were enjoying a visit to a Railroad Museum, in Wilmington, NC, once the HQ city of the Atlantic Coast Line. The Docent, proudly showed me their collection of Penn Central Manuals, and opened up a Rule Book. Low and behold, the inside front cover, not only had the employee's name and employee number, but my examination stamp signifying that he passed my Operating Rules Class and Exam. The guy was a RF&P Employee that operated over the PC between the RF&P, and Washington Terminal Company tracks. After my wife pointed out the stamp, the guy got POed, and walked off. o_Oo_Oo_O Any way, most people are tolerant of our weird Northernisms.

Slower Lower Jersey, and Slower Lower Delaware have temperate climates, and are generally cheaper living than where we are currently at. They are also significantly closer, if the MIL's situation remains status quo, because, she seems happier where she is at, and we don't intend to move her again.

Enjoy that Sun and Gulf Breeze.

Good Afternoon All!
71F in Libby.
104F just south of Marion, IL.

So, need some wisdom please. Years ago I bought IP cameras for the store. Still have the cameras which are PTZ and work great except the resolution is low .. 640 x 480. Trouble with them is ya have to login everytime you want to view the image. Played around with the config file but found no way to view the image without login. Anybody have any idea of a brand that will work in a full size browser without login? Lots for phones and tablets along with the Chinese app that goes with them. Got a hair up a few months ago and threw money at what they claimed was a US manufacture, alas it still was Chinese.

Headed back to OB, then Ruther Glen in the am.

Later

I needed to patch up some bad lawn spots today and had to make a dirt sifter. This is what I came up with.
George

Wheel_Barrel.jpg

Hi all,

Weird day. Felt like the stuff hit me again. Fell asleep for the afternoon, woke to a nose bleed and now feel a bunch better. I usually get those when I get sinus issues, so hopefully on the downhill. Supposed to go back tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get there tomorrow.

Good evening. I'm back again to share more inane chatter. I guess y'all can tell I do not have much to do. Also, the lack of a controversial subject to expound on, is driving me nuts. In any event that's the way it is.

The weather is going to change tomorrow, after which it will be much more "Fall Like". Very appropriate for the First Day of Fall.

Assuming that I feel better tomorrow, I plan on spending a good part of the day engaged in my hobby.

Today, was the first day Veterans were required at pre season camp. Devils Fans ar already setting their conditions and offering odds as to when coach Lindy Ruff will be fired. Management may have other ideas,as he was supposedly hired for three years to specifically work with the core of young players with very high potential. If so, he's here for the season, regardless of outcome. Some of the so called experts, expect them to make a run for the playoffs this season, while others expect to see them flounder yet another year.

The Caps, well...they are without Backstrom to begin the season, at least, maybe more. They also average over 35 years of age, so they are definitely aging. I suppose they are going for the Gusto, one more time, before they completely succumb to Father Time.

Yankees leading Pittsburgh 14 -2 in the Top of the Ninth. From what I can tell, on a very uninformative MLB.com site, Aaron Judge did not get #61 tonight.
Baltimore, beat Detroit tonight, but their elimination number is down to 3. No miracle here. Just a major improvement.

Have a good evening.

Aside--Old MRR heads will remember jokes of this sort:

Wife #1: "Don't you find it rather silly...that your husband [insert your name here] plays with trains?"

Wife #2: "Not at all. Besides, it has its benefits for me too."

Wife #1: "Really (dryly and unconvinced)? Such as...?"

Wife #2: "I know that if he ever loses interest in me and moves on to another...

...she'll be a 4-8-4...

................and not a 36-24-36." :D

-----

As Boris just said: Have a good evening.

Morning all,

Happy Autumn!

Back at the office this morning, and looks like not much happening based on emails. Little bit of light rain this morning, but not enough to take the dust off the gravel roads yet. Was 101° yesterday and only supposed to get to 68° for the high. Back into the mid 90's for the weekend.

Still feel like I have a bad head cold. Wife is taking the Paxlovid, I'm sticking it through...We'll see if I make it through the day. Felt funny last Thursday, and Covid by the next morning. Good thing is I can't catch Covid while I have Covid...

Some Controversy for Boris: Diesels Suck!!! Steam Forever!!!! ;)

BBL

Good Morning!

The outside thermometer is reading 37F this morning, so Willie could still get away with wearing the shorts if he were here.
Autumn actually starts at 7ish pm this evening. So, we can enjoy one last afternoon of summer in this fine weather.

I'm still fiddling with road crossings. There is considerable dry-times required as I move through the building steps. My 28" curve crossing isn't 28", so, I set that one aside until later corrections.
I needed to add 1/16" more material to the 30" curve, side and bottom. Stir sticks were used for that. If I had used 3/16"sq spruce to start with, that could have been prevented. It's easier to sand it down than to add material.
Here's the 1/16" stick being added:
Crossings_09-21-2022 (1).JPG

Here's a couple showing how it's going. I think it's going to work out:
Crossings_09-21-2022 (2).JPG

Just enough room for two vehicles to pass:
Crossings_09-21-2022 (3).JPG

Patrick - Glad to hear you're feeling better, but, hope you stayed off work long enough that it's not being passed on to other co-workers.

Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning!

The outside thermometer is reading 37F this morning, so Willie could still get away with wearing the shorts if he were here.
Autumn actually starts at 7ish pm this evening. So, we can enjoy one last afternoon of summer in this fine weather.

I'm still fiddling with road crossings. There is considerable dry-times required as I move through the building steps. My 28" curve crossing isn't 28", so, I set that one aside until later corrections.
I needed to add 1/16" more material to the 30" curve, side and bottom. Stir sticks were used for that. If I had used 3/16"sq spruce to start with, that could have been prevented. It's easier to sand it down than to add material.
Here's the 1/16" stick being added:
View attachment 152093

Here's a couple showing how it's going. I think it's going to work out:
View attachment 152094

Just enough room for two vehicles to pass:
View attachment 152095

Patrick - Glad to hear you're feeling better, but, hope you stayed off work long enough that it's not being passed on to other co-workers.

Have a great day everyone!

Guy, that sure is a pretty crossing! My railroad crossings are pretty crude, but I have seen some out in rural areas not much more than some timbers laying on the ties. The nail holes really work, real nails in there?

Good morning all, 43° and mostly sunny. Got behind a school bus this morning but still got to work 2 minutes early. I am salary so no big deal but I like being dependable.

George: nice soil sifter! They use almost the exact setup in archeological surveys. I made a similar thing out of the bottom of a plastic pail with holes drilled in the bottom to sift landscape rock to size. Wife even uses it so it must have been a good idea.

We started a few new projects at work, got a Federal grant for a bunch of safety improvements on our roads, I will be writing the Project Memorandum which is a good job and we are getting like $124,000 where we only have to match 10%.

Went through train stuff last night, stuff couldn't find something, good thing everything I do this I find something else!!

Todays pic, SLCR #7 exiting the wooden truss bridge over the St. Croix:

IMG_2648.JPG

Still waiting on water to arrive in mail, got message will take longer than usual.

back later, Dave LASM

Guy: Masking and staying in my office ought to help. I was probably more contagious last week. I like your crossings, what size material are you making them from. It is something I've been playing with. Between yours and Dave's crossings, I have a better idea on what I want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back