Dave's Layout v. 4.0

A few pics of the weekend progress First the slide out section, in later pics you will see ballast work done on this

View attachment 148477

View attachment 148478

her we go with the slide out in place. Got one spec of hydrocal on the grass mad, will be covering that up with something

View attachment 148479

getting pretty close to the whole layout being "roughed in", will begin populating it with trains soon. I want to get most of the sand work done before I run the trains regularly. Not a fan of sand on the tracks with trains running, patience, patience

Feel free to share a comment!!!

Thanks for looking, Dave LASM
How do you get such neat cuts in your track? Do you use a Dremel or a Xuron? Nice work!

Well didn't do much more than run trains and tweak the freight cars over the weekend, ended up making a flower planter for the wife on Saturday.

By Sunday afternoon got in the train room, did some switching and snapped a couple pics:

IMG_2446.JPG

All these freight cars tracked well, the Soo line box car I had to tighten the screws holding the trucks in place, also the weights inside came loose during storage, I tacked them back in place with the JB Weld

Also have this photo in front of the depot

IMG_2440.JPG

I put up these little signs to indicate which track I am on, corresponding to the on/off switch for that section of track. Controls are on the fascia.

It would be nice to weather down the Malt car a little. The layout is in progress!!

THANKS for looking, Dave LASM

Well didn't do much more than run trains and tweak the freight cars over the weekend, ended up making a flower planter for the wife on Saturday.

By Sunday afternoon got in the train room, did some switching and snapped a couple pics:

View attachment 149505

All these freight cars tracked well, the Soo line box car I had to tighten the screws holding the trucks in place, also the weights inside came loose during storage, I tacked them back in place with the JB Weld

Also have this photo in front of the depot

View attachment 149506

I put up these little signs to indicate which track I am on, corresponding to the on/off switch for that section of track. Controls are on the fascia.

It would be nice to weather down the Malt car a little. The layout is in progress!!

THANKS for looking, Dave LASM
Love the track work - perfectly painted rails! Did you use an airbrush? And what paint did you use?

Love the track work - perfectly painted rails! Did you use an airbrush? And what paint did you use?

THANKS Kleiner!

Most of the rails were done with the Woodland Scenics rusty rail pens. I put it on kind of sloppy then wipe the top off with my cotton cloth and rubbing alcohol.

This area is a diorama which was incorporated (screwed into) in the new layout, so I had lots of time to get this track right. I went over it several times.

Mainly been playing with trains since taking a break from scenery. Enjoy this new 2 minute youtube showing off some of my vintage rail cars and the Groningen town.

Also, a couple still life photos of some of my steam locomotives:

IMG_2488 res.JPG

IMG_2489 res.JPG

Will have to get back to scenery one of these days, in the meantime having fun running trains

THANKS for looking!!

Dave LASM

I'm also having fun running trains while I take a break from scenery. I am doing small jobs here and there, like ballasting a short section, or, painting a vehicle, etc... but anything requiring significant time, especially longer periods of time in one session are on hold until cold weather forces me inside.

I like your switcher! I'm considering adding an extension to my layout just for a yard to store rolling stock... something I deliberately omitted from my original plan due to space. In hind sight, I could easily add a peninsula with a run-around and a yard in the middle.

That and completing my river scene are on the agenda for this coming winter.

Have fun playing while you take a break! I am!

I'm also having fun running trains while I take a break from scenery. I am doing small jobs here and there, like ballasting a short section, or, painting a vehicle, etc... but anything requiring significant time, especially longer periods of time in one session are on hold until cold weather forces me inside.

I like your switcher! I'm considering adding an extension to my layout just for a yard to store rolling stock... something I deliberately omitted from my original plan due to space. In hind sight, I could easily add a peninsula with a run-around and a yard in the middle.

That and completing my river scene are on the agenda for this coming winter.

Have fun playing while you take a break! I am!
Thanks, Jeff--

My layout is technicially 1900-1939 and that is when the SW-1 came out. This Walthers model was made in 1992 I think but has really good slow speed and electrical pickup, better than my old steam locos so it is my go to for switching. I use it to put trains together than break out the 10 wheeler 4-6-0 to run them down to St. Paul or up to Duluth.

Dave LASM

I got around to working on the sawmill area Monday, made the infeed ramps, stakes for the flat bed, glued down the buildings:

IMG_2501.JPG

I just needed something simple for the sawmill infeed. I cut up a one of the logs and shaved it down a little, also added a stain wash so it didn't look new (not shown)

IMG_2502.JPG

I made a few stakes out of 2 x 8's, stained them and shaved them to fit in the stake pockets. The logs are spruce twigs

IMG_2507.JPG

Same sawmill from the old layout, new scene however

THANKS for looking!!

Dave LASM

Thanks Curt, also have another pic with more progress

To answer your question, the gravel rectangle on the left will be the hoist house for the quarry. Also, on the spur there will be an engine shed. I have prototype photos to cover both

This shows some more weekend work completed, compare with photo above:

IMG_2557.JPG

Will be making scenery of cutting Crex grass for grass rugs by the tractor. The Crex warehouses are mostly built and will be in the town of Wyoming (Out of photo, off to the back right)

Dave LASM

Pics of last weekends layout progress, am working around the layout clockwise, a couple feet left on one side, also the hillside by the Quarry. Will be doing the water last, then several buildings and details to assemble/add:

Before pic:

IMG_2584.JPG

After pic:

IMG_2591.JPG

The road on the left is a bit awkward, need to do a little tweaking. I like the way the underbrush/grass turned out. Think I will have a wigwam or weegiwa near the St. Croix here, will model some semi modern natives, I think.

Dave LASM

Nice progress. Where is this in relation your last set of photos?
Thanks, Curt... great question, here is a copy of the track plan with the last few pics called out:

big project.png

The small silver lines are the on/off switches for sidings, blocks. Small gaps in lines are insulators or actual spaces to interrupt current.

Inner and outer bounds of the layout is the thicker maroon line.

Dave LASM

I have a couple pics of the last of the layout ground work, completed, which is the area below the freight shed and the island in the St. Croix, also added a small building and fuel tank:

The water and shoreline are the next task:

IMG_2596.JPG

Here is the view from across the river:

IMG_2599.JPG

I just put some cover on the little island also over by the tank made a path to the river and added the brush and sand

IMG_2603.JPG

The power house that went with my coal chute got salvaged and turned to a small bunkhouse. I went through lots of old buildings previously built, many of which were in need of work from storage and transit. Most of them got trashed but salvaged usable stuff.

THANKS for looking

Dave

Back