Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Haven't accomplished much today but got most of the packing done for our trip to Key West that starts tomorrow. I'll be back next Wednesday. We did have a guy clean our driveway today for $50. I can't even rent the equipment for that price.

Dave- Thank you. Your sign effort looks good to me.

Troy- Cabinets and counter top look nice.

Willie- The raccoon looks very good.

Guy- Nice catch with the new cars. You're right that they look a bit odd without any weathering on them.

I hope everyone has a good night.

James, covered hoppers also carry dry fertilizer. I was standing next to one at our local Agway while it was unloading, and was able to witness a standing derailment, up close and personal.
Around here, many four bay covered hoppers carry plastic pellets like polypropylene (PP) or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) made down around the Houston & Beaumont area. It isn't unusual to see 50+ hoppers in trains destined north. We got our vinyl window components from a manufacturer that received 4-6 car loads a week.

Good morning gang!

59° and a little cloudy this morning looking for a high of 87 just glorious!

Flo my dear, can I get a large stack of blueberry pancakes oh and the blueberry syrup to go with it and yes you can go ahead and put whip cream on top.

BBL
FLo,can I have Keto pancakes coconut flour not almond, and strawberries,and strawberry purée, and thick clotted cream, plus some coconut flakes, yum yum

Good Morning All. Clear and a little warmer at 76° on this first day of summer. Official equinox was about two hours ago. According to the almanac, tomorrow will be 1 second shorter here at 33.36°N. Looking at upper 90's and lower 100's for the next five days. There is no chance of snow for the next ten days.

Headed out this morning to run errands, prescriptions, post office, seamstress, haircut and I need more charcoal. Didn't have time for the haircut last week, and yes a seamstress. My wife got "cold feet" regarding hemming up the new pair of pants, so we're going to a professional.
In the garden, the tomatoes finally started turning red yesterday and I picked about 10 lbs. I am irrigating as I type this morning; no wind keeps the water where I want it to go. I did some mowing yesterday, but not much, just part of the front yard. Ran out of gas which I have but just didn't feel like continuing. No wind and I was soaked in sweat and the pool was a better option.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the photos yesterday; Smudge, Guy, Steve J, Patrick, Tom O, Joe, Sherrel, James, Chad, OB Ken, Karl, Dave, Hughie, Gary, Louis, Jaz, Curt, Rick,

So, what did I do yesterday out in the train shed? Besides moving some trains around, I started painting the first of the raccoons that I recently got from MiniPrints. Someone here posted that the face would be difficult, but I think that getting the mottled gray, black and white body was more difficult. Here are some not so good pictures of the first one of eight.
View attachment 147638
View attachment 147639
I have got to learn how to take better close-up pictures of very small objects. I'll try again today.

Joe/Ken - Jersey Mikes #13 is definitely the best. The local franchise here actually bakes their own bread; I get the Parmesan bread. I am sure that the dough is made elsewhere. I have gotten my order for free before when the bread was not ready on time...the bread guy showed up late for work! Does Jersey Mikes qualify as fast food? Or is it a deli?
James - Great job on the wall. Looks really good.
Louis - Tough luck on the kitchen fire. Thankfully no one including doggies were hurt. You have video surveillance in your kitchen??? Geez! Baltimore is tougher than I thought.
Jaz - I don't think that Garry's pictures were removed by the forum staff. I have often read here that if posted directly to the forum that they are here to stay. His "lost" pictures were most likely hosted on a third-party server that shut down his account when he passed and no longer paid for their services. I may be mistaken, but I have never lost any of my pictures here.
Todd -

I know the feeling! I switched from cases of beer to 18 packs (I buy bottles) recently.

Everybody have a wonderful day.
Good to know regards photos, and I like yours yes the raccoon? is blurry but looks ‘real’

Ya, ima bottle baby also. Case of Kokanee I can still manage as it has handles!

Also, you wrote something earlier about getting a web site going. If you need help or input shoot me a pm. I have been dealing with web stuff since cira 1990; web, email - the whole can-o-worms.
I avoid plastic, glass better than aluminium, leaving p,attic bottles in a hot car endured the liquid picks up plastics…throw it away!

Ya, try a chiropractor as you could have tweaked some vertebra in your back. Cheap insurance and we would not live without one. In fact, we go to the chiro *before* seeing our Doc - well unless blood is involved.
In my opinion the chiropractor is better than the doctor, they go after a quick fix, the chiropractor should try to fathom out why and help you manage or fix it. Doctors often hand out drugs that are stupid, omaprozole for indigestion/germs etc is mad! It is letting milk it’s an alkaline so will give immediate relief BUT put you straight back into the problem, doh. If you have acid reflux, you should take acid! Not alkaline, your body makes the opposite, so try cider vinegar, any vinegar, lemon juice to cure acid reflux, grrrrrrr.
If anyone suffers from this, please please check this out for your self, do not just take my word, before you ignore drugs given by doctor, as you may have other issues or reasons why you ght need I.

And I have a special gift for coffee shop patrons: A visit to the coffee shop of my imagination.

If you (or a spouse and or offspring) listen to audiobooks and like snarky talking magical cat mysteries, let me know via message. I've got a few freebie codes for books 1-3, collected into one volume on Audible. All I ask in exchange for the freebie listen is a polite review on Audible. The codes are specific to generate reviews, and I can get more freebies if the reviews come in.

(the graphic says KU and Audible, but the offer is for Audible only).

TwitterSnark5.png

Tom O- I was waiting in line at Home Cheapo and one of the workers told me self checkout is open. I asked do I get a discount for doing your job, she said no, so I'll wait. Needless to say the people in line with me agreed that self checkout anywhere should have a discount.

95 and humid. Just got out of the pool, feel much better after working in the heat. Flo how about an ice tea.

I still don't understand why my wife bought a vehicle that needed premium.
Willie: I don't think that was ever part of the consideration. Youngest son, always buys high performance cars (currently a Camaro), that recommend premium only. Now all he does is bitch about gas prices.

Gas prices here have eased a bit. locally $4.91, further North on Hwy 9, $4.87. I imagine recently lower crude prices, and suspension of state gas tax all have their effect. Funny how Costco and BJ's are still cheaper.

Bottled water has its usefulness, but I only use it on road trips. I do keep some around the house in case of a utility malfunction. Our Municipal water comes from wells in South Jersey, and has a high mineral content. We have a filtered drinking water faucet in the kitchen,then double filter the drinking water using a Brita filter pitcher which is kept in the fridge.

Went to the GP today, for my quarterly check-up. I'm good until October...then I had my first professional haircut of the year. After that, I went to the drug store to pick up a prescription. Then wife and I went to Costco. I had my prescription with me for new glasses, but the people in the optical department were too busy interacting with themselves, so we did the rest of our shopping and went home. I'll take my Rx to Walmart tomorrow.

I have been spending time monitoring the Crossing cam in Ashland, VA. I have driven over that crossing along the former RF&P Main. Ken (VA): not a bad site, if you ignore the commentary from the peanut gallery.

Guy: Nice photos of the "New" freight cars.

Self checkout...Unfortunately, we will see more of this, not less. Business, large and small is constantly working to transfer miscellaneous costs back to the consumer...examples: e-bills and statements... 10¢ /gallon higher gas price for using debit or credit cars to pay for gas...to cover their cc fees.
Automatic checkers eliminate jobs, and you get to do their work gratis, all the while scrutinizing you to catch you making a "mistake".

Today was the last day of school, in Central Jersey and Northern New York, (Jefferson Co). Traffic on Hwy 9 was very heavy today, compared to normal. Foot traffic at Costco was also more than average.

Short line takeover on the Southern and Freehold Secondaries, is now scheduled for July 1. It has come out that the "owner" is the same person who owns the Chesapeake and Delaware, and the Black River and Western in West Central NJ. and several intermodal transfer stations.

PRR_Enola West End__with piers for new Interstate Highway under construction__June 13, 1970.jpg

June 13, 1970, West End Enola (PA). Bridge piers for I-81 and Ramps. From FB, No Photographer Credit.

Business, large and small is constantly working to transfer miscellaneous costs back
Cineplex, (in Can) has now implemented a $1.50 fee per ticket if ordered on line or thru an app.
I will use self checkout if I only have 1 or 2 small items.
just had an inch of rain in an hr.
Do any of you have gutter guards installed.? Opinions , pros, cons.?

Attachments

• camping.JPG
    camping.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 56
  • ball.JPG
    ball.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 52
  • idiots.JPG
    idiots.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 59
Cineplex, (in Can) has now implemented a $1.50 fee per ticket if ordered on line or thru an app.
I will use self checkout if I only have 1 or 2 small items.
just had an inch of rain in an hr.
Do any of you have gutter guards installed.? Opinions , pros, cons.?
When we lived in No. Central Wisconsin after 20 years of cleaning gutters we had the covers installed. It was great, in the last 14 years of living there I never had to clean the gutters. we lived amongst Norway Pine and they were always dropping. I think it’s a great idea and wasn’t a killer price back then.

We have no gutter on this house

Mike: Well, the best I have ever had, Jersey Mikes #13 (Italian), comes from Jersey - Long Branch - not South Jersey, and they are franchised all over the country. Other than that, I agree. The only place around me that sells "Hoagies" is the Wawa. Not exactly what I would consider on a par from some of the places I have been to, but more on a par with QuikChek's "Subs".

Heck, I'm so disgusted with what Liitle Ms. Muffet was subjected to, I'm going into Washington D.C. today and protest.
Good morning. 68° and sunny. 20% chance of scattered showers this afternoon. 12,000 acres of the South Jersey Pine Barrens are burning. It is about 50% contained.
Amazing how dry conditions are within a week of a 1.5" rain. Rain is forecast from tonight through Thursday night, so it will help.

Not much else going on.
Joe- the best hoagie I ever had came from Carmen’s Deli in Bellmawr & the best cheesesteaks come from Jim’s at 4th & South. Way better than the 2 rivals at 9th & Passyunk. Wawa’s hoagies aren’t nearly as good as they used to be. Kinda like Tastykakes.
From what I understand, the fire is 95% contained, was in the area between Atsion Lake & the historic village of Batsto. Early reports are that the fire was caused by an illegal campfire.
Curt- exactly. The key to a good hoagie, cheesesteak, or even a good brat is a top quality bun.
Ken- what are you to protest? For spider control regulations?
🤔

Troy- one of the few things I miss about South Jersey(other than extended family) is how every little town had a local deli/cold cut shops that used either “baked on site” or locally sourced rolls for their hoagies.
TomO- since you mentioned the farmer’s market, SWMBO found out that during the past week, MSM decided to make their market EVERY Tuesday(instead of every other), we may not have missed out on potential sales as there was only one Mennonite vendor set up yesterday. But now we know. So I know where I’ll be spending every Tuesday morning til I find a job. I have another interview set up for tomorrow, so at least I’m getting phone calls.

I took a nap so I could watch the Stanley Cup finals live. I love the DVR, but its always more fun if I don't know the out come. The game has not disappointed me!

The Samsung man came Monday and made short work of swapping out one of the control modules. No charge as it was still under warranty.
TV works like new again. Only problem was I had to install and set up all my apps. I must have a half dozen+ free apps.
Was a good and economical choice I made canceling Comcast.
I missed my big screen, I'm happy to have it back. Although I have to say screen size had no impact on my naps while "watching tv" on the couch.

Insurance adjuster was also here Monday. The cost of fixing the fire damage in the kitchen is a lot more than I anticipated!

Now back to this game.

Have a great night Everybody!

Good evening.

Louis, I also am watching the Stanley Cup finals. Sound is off during intermission as I wait for overtime to begin. I want the Av’s

Mikeinhubcupity, glad the job hunt is generating call backs

Subs, we have a good sub shop in Verona. Milos is a local group I think of 10 stores in Dane County. I agree with what has been said though. ITS THE BREAD. We had a Cousins Sub in Marshfield that I loved but since the owner also owned a few Subways he had to chose and went with Subway. Cousins Subs (a midwest chain) was started just off of campus at Marquette University in Milwaukee while I was there 70 to 74 and it was a dump but they were cheap and IMO great. 1st sandwich I ever had that used olive oil instead of Mayo on some sub sandwiches.

I have had 1 Jersey Mikes sub and I don’t recall it as anything special. I think it was a longer sub. Never have had a Firehouse Subs but there are a couple within a few miles. Gyros, Pizza Shops and Ethic food is huge in my county. The fast food places like McDonals, BK, Taco Bell, Wendy’s don’t seem to do as well and no Culvers is not considered fast food. Neither is Portillo’s that is Midwest based but mainly around Chicago area but expanding is famous for its hotdogs and Italian Beef. We now have 2 in Madison. Geez, now I am hungry

Portillos
9F90526C-FE6A-4420-9F66-0EB6F868C62B.png

Milos
6BE31D06-39D1-461E-BEAE-FC1063D2737D.png
be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back