Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope all is well with everyone and I hope ya'll had a safe holiday weekend. I will be leaving in a short few hours. Pops loves driving my truck 😂🤣 I filled it up so he could go have fun with it! It's a beast to drive with a 6.2 liter lol! base RST package was 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque with a 10-speed automatic transmission. This one is a special order with a few extras to boost the HP rating to 465 hp and increased to 512 lb-ft of torque and man when you put it in Rally Sport Mode it moves! Runs like a screaming eagle! Safe to drive too! I still get on cruising speed 68 mph 24 mpg if I slow down to 64 it will top at 26 mpg with cruise control only. It has the AFM Active Fuel Management system....only thing I do not like is the Auto Stop when you stop or hit a red light but I override it and turn the damn thing off.

Anyhow I will be on Lake Euffala tomorrow with the Godson #3 for practice for 2 days then he starts day 1 of the tournament on Friday.

I will check in if I am able too if not cya later!

Cold front here. Sunday was 43F when Igot up, Monday was 39F when I got up (and in the middle of the night when I checked), and this morning was 39F when I got up, but 36F around 5am when I checked. Supposed to start getting warmer from today. Was warm last week but a cold front came through and we had some rain Saturday morning, as well as Sunday and yesterday off and on and in the night. Lists a 30% chance of storms today but a high of 60, and 80s and by Thursday.

Because I don't know how long t will be tyo get the construction loan extension approved and get the concrete pour scheduled, I've decided to switch out the ICF bracing I am renting for my own that I bought and got last week.

This is the bracing I bought and we re-stacked on site. My son and I have started carrying the pieces in the rear top crate down into the hole and we should be able to start actually swapping today if it is not raining. Entails unscrewing the "strongback" metal spine piece from the wall, taking down the wood scaffolding, and removing the leg support piece and then swapping in the new ones. We'll swap each one individually, completely, so that the wall is always supported by the rest of them so we don't get shifting in the walls (which shouldn't happen anyway).

IMG_5657.jpeg

Greetings all, nice long weekend here.

Played golf Friday, and had a good time! Knee did okay with some adjustments in swings. All in all - good. Picked up our daughter and went to the new DOwnton abby movie, after a nice dinner near the theater. She stayed the night and we went to the Arboretum Saturday. Then cooked pork chops on the Weber grill. Sunday also good. Slept pretty well, and church was nice. Then . . . .

Yardwork. Overdid, of course, and paid for it with my knee. We both worked quite hard, so enjoyed our steak dinner. Yesterday was a quiet day of recovery.

Nothing on the layout, but a nice Memorial Day weekend all the same.

Well howdy there internet peeps.

It's Troy again.

Woke at 2:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep

Hit the patio about 8am (after getting 4K steps, a shower, and some coffee) ... and the kid I sold my first 3D printer to texted for help. He doesn't have a computer, so he needs me to load any models into the slicer program. (it translates the model into printer-speak for printing).

by 9:30 I was yawning something fierce... so I hit the recliner inside for a nap. Almost drifted off to sleep about 10am. That's when the kid texted that he'd hit the computer at the library and just sent the files over to me.

OK... got his files sent to him. Got back up.

Just over 500 words done on the latest chapter today. Need to get up to 2000 words to call it good.

Also have an eye appointment for new peepers... AND I am committed to host a Facebook takeover in a book-club during that time. Oy vey. I'll preload some questions right before I head to the Peeper Doc. Then use my phone to push LIKE on a the answers.

I *MIGHT* get the crowbar inside this evening, and start popping foam off the right end of the layout. Or, I might take a nap. We'll see.

Good morning again, thought I'd check in while I have the computer going

Chad - building a house during these times sounds very trying, but not much anyone can do about that. I hope everything smoothes out. Ours was planned about 6 months before covid struck and we were lucky enough to have all prices locked before the price spirals hit. PURE luck or providence?

James - can't believe you are getting that kind of mileage, a Ford? You weren't clear (to me) what model you bought.

Steve - hope the knee smoothes out as well. (smoothe out is not a word, but means the opposite of bumpy)

Troy - bummer with the sleep. You are not alone, 1/3 of Americans have trouble with shut eye

Got a lot done on the bridge, it is almost done!

IMG_2217.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Chad - building a house during these times sounds very trying, but not much anyone can do about that. I hope everything smoothes out. Ours was planned about 6 months before covid struck and we were lucky enough to have all prices locked before the price spirals hit. PURE luck or providence?

Luckily we've prepaid for a bunch of stuff and actually have stuff in storage. Flooring is all paid for and in storage (and has had 2 prices increases since). Appliances. ICF blocks. We pre-paid a large chunk of the standing seam metal roof so that the impact has been very minimal there. Lumber for the inside and roof framing has almost doubled as an estimate, but the framer said his estimate (from May 3) is probably using the prices at their high point and actual costs may go down as he expects gradual decrease in lumber prices (ie, the high point was late Spring as projects started and goes down from there, based on historical precedent).

Yeah, I would have chosen to do this differently if I could have. Luck would have it we got geared up right before Covid and then had Covid hit and we got stuck with a stupid bank for the first go around and their brain dead appraisal from a guy who ewas in way over his head. So that pushed us out 1/2 a year or more too :(

It is what it is

Luckily we've prepaid for a bunch of stuff and actually have stuff in storage. Flooring is all paid for and in storage (and has had 2 prices increases since). Appliances. ICF blocks. We pre-paid a large chunk of the standing seam metal roof so that the impact has been very minimal there. Lumber for the inside and roof framing has almost doubled as an estimate, but the framer said his estimate (from May 3) is probably using the prices at their high point and actual costs may go down as he expects gradual decrease in lumber prices (ie, the high point was late Spring as projects started and goes down from there, based on historical precedent).

Yeah, I would have chosen to do this differently if I could have. Luck would have it we got geared up right before Covid and then had Covid hit and we got stuck with a stupid bank for the first go around and their brain dead appraisal from a guy who ewas in way over his head. So that pushed us out 1/2 a year or more too :(

It is what it is

Our bank person seemed to be lacking brain power, as well. She actually locked in our mortgage during one of those little hills in the chart, shortly after it went down a bit, though compared to today our 3.25 doesn't sound too bad.

Working with the bank was the worst, the builder second worst. The best stuff was what we did ourselves!

Here is a flash back to last winter, March 2021 I believe.

New back steps.jpg

Muddy mess because builder blocked drainage with the placement of the roll off, dirt and rocks in snow pile even though there was barely enough snow to plow...

At least it is done and nice and we have green grass now.

Dave

Good Morning!
It's gonna be a nice day! So I'm going fencing. I want to get it done.
I've got a couple hours of work to finish the last fence, and I want to buy material for the next fence. That one will be a 3 day project. Hopefully, no one else will call for the rest of the year.

But wait! - The wife is talking about going on a fishing holiday to BC in June. Fishing and foreign rail photography sounds like a good enough reason to delay my layout building.

Here's a rerun photo of my hardware people before they were actually placed inside the hardware. Just for the sake of posting a photo.
View attachment 146651
The photo is an indication of how long it's taking to get trains running. I believe the pic was taken two winters ago.

Gonna go finish a fence! Have a good one!
Her bum is NEVER going to fit in the seat…sniggers

Hello fellow ferroequinologists!

Trip to home depot concluded. 35 bags of mulch, 2 4x8 sheets of 5mm underlayment, 1 4x8 sheet of 11/32nds BC plywood, 2 bags of solar salt, 23 inch blind for the bathroom window, 14 packs of veggie seeds and 10 veggie plants. What a load! Wifey has planted the plants already, I wrestled the wood downstairs along with the salt. The mulch can stay on the trailer for now, grandson wants to help spread it like he did last year.

Arlington, will make the trip soon. Wife's older brother is there, Air Force Major, call sign 2Dogs. I never met the man, he passed before we started dating, but to hear how his sisters speak of him he was one heck of a guy. Not lost in the line of duty, fell out of a canoe and drowned, night fishing by himself.

From the archives, Main Street is a busy place!

View attachment 146672
Ooo ooooh vws

Well howdy there internet peeps.

It's Troy again.

Woke at 2:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep

Hit the patio about 8am (after getting 4K steps, a shower, and some coffee) ... and the kid I sold my first 3D printer to texted for help. He doesn't have a computer, so he needs me to load any models into the slicer program. (it translates the model into printer-speak for printing).

by 9:30 I was yawning something fierce... so I hit the recliner inside for a nap. Almost drifted off to sleep about 10am. That's when the kid texted that he'd hit the computer at the library and just sent the files over to me.

OK... got his files sent to him. Got back up.

Just over 500 words done on the latest chapter today. Need to get up to 2000 words to call it good.

Also have an eye appointment for new peepers... AND I am committed to host a Facebook takeover in a book-club during that time. Oy vey. I'll preload some questions right before I head to the Peeper Doc. Then use my phone to push LIKE on a the answers.

I *MIGHT* get the crowbar inside this evening, and start popping foam off the right end of the layout. Or, I might take a nap. We'll see.
You need a regime, a dark room, a soft pillow,to cuddle into, perhaps a pillow to hit a leg over,your room may be too warm,people often do not cuddle down unless the room is cool enough, you have to avoid coffee 6 hours before you official bedtime, you wife needs a wooden mallet, if you have any lights off appliances in you room, they will interfere with sleep,consider an eye mask if necessary, a bath before bed can help calm the body especially if you use Epsom salts or such, and try a lavender mini bag bear your pillow, ok that’s making me sleepy…..lol try one or more, earplugs may be necessary but I really would avoid it, there is lots of issues over earplugs for that length of time, some people respond to hot milk, do not eat late, consider a hot milk or a hot chocolate….your brain may be buzzing because it knows you need those 2000 words, but you need to be more relaxed. Raise your bed and shoulders at a slight angle, honestly if you do not fancy the bath at least try a shower, and. Void conditioner it messes with your skin.ok climbing back into my hole….

Well, as I don't have my car, decided to pick up the additions I ordered, overall quite happy. The PRR 3 bay hoppers are very nice, and roll well, even with the plastic wheels.

The Bachmann GP30 Demo, ran well, but I could hear the motor whining away at anything above very slow, quick look under the bonnet, one of the screws holding the truck was so loose, the worm gear couldn't engage the drive axle properly, fixed that, purrs like a kitten now.

The Athearn Rock Island GP 40-2, ran sweet, straight out the box, very happy with that, however the Bachmann GP35 Pennsy, is a bag of nails, it runs, but sounds much better without the shell, if you imagine a cement mixer with 2 dozen large rocks going round, that kinda noise, the vibration from the chassis is horrendous, so that's going to be investigated to see what can be done at some point, but I doubt I'll solve it, I have 2 other Bachmann with the same problem, had them years now, haven't found a solution yet.

I'll post photo's of my new additions later.

Have a good evening everyone.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Well, the pour ended up crystal clear so today I put down the first 2 acrylic washes and I will most likely have to do more. Tomorrow, I have to take Dad to his cardiologist appointment but at least it's local (kind of). Thursday I'm driving up to my buddy Jon's so he can take a look at Dad's 2-6-6-2 (I think it's shot) and my RS1.

Troy- You're making great progress.

James- Very nice looking loco.

Jeff- Safe travels and I hope everything goes well.

Joe- Interesting video.

Karl- Great layout shot.

Smudge- My condolences to you and your family. That is a lot of work on the car 😲. Congrats on your haul.

IB Ken- I'm glad your crossing is done to your satisfaction. One less irritation.

Sherrel- Isn't family great sometimes?

Ken (D&J)- Nice loco shot.

Willie- Best wishes for tomorrow. Nice looking cafe.

Dave- Great looking bridge.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back