Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of posts and comments regarding firearms the past two days. I fully support gun ownership as I would living in Texas with "Open Carry". Many interesting comments with solid reasoning behind them. I do question the need for AR type weapons like Tom O does, but it is what it is. I personally do not own a firearm of any type, haven't in over 50 years, because I see no need. But that's just me. I live in a low crime area, actually non-existent crime area.
A serious question though; has anyone here actually had to defend themselves/family members/neighbors, or use the visibility of a firearm to dissuade an undesirable person? In my career I had to disarm two different persons in two different situations, but I was able to talk them out of escalating. Both were intoxicated non-employees.

I have not, thank goodness. I have friends who have.

I also have homeowners and renters insurance though I have never had a house fire or other catastrophic loss.

An AR has a hunting rifle just doesn't seem, in my opinion, a sporting gun. There are gun collectors and hobbyists who just have to have one or two.

Besides there being all sorts of shooting sports related to modern sporting rifles (ARs and equivalent), they are actively used in hunting feral hogs which is more a Texas thing and South thing than here in Utah.

Guns... buy what ever you want. Please keep your tanks and other tracked vehicles off the roads. They make a mess out of pavement.

Gang bangers and drug dealers don't shoot at "citizens" they shoot at each other. The problem is they mostly "spray and pray".

I'll be quiet about firearms now. I've said my piece. It is a subject near and dear to my heart. I'll entertain DMs from anyone who has questions, comments, or wants to chat.

On the house front: Our construction loan is ending soon and since we are not done. The bank wants me to resubmit the budget and our latest financials. The financials are good -- no debt carried month to month except the construction loan. No CC debt carried and no installment loans. (I do have a small amount of 0% Apple products stuff being carried but it is not a balance but rather they bill the next installment each month onto the Apple Card -- all small amounts and most ending this year).

Budget wise, luckily we've bought already or prepaid a lot, but a lot of stuff is a lot more expensive, and is causing me concern. Also, trying to get updated numbers from some of the contractors is hard. They are slow to reply. That and the high interest rates now since we also have to pre-qualify for the long term mortgage.

So prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated, that we'll be able to work it out and continue.

I am going to work this afternoon and evening on the last few bits of strapping seams and corners and preparing the doors for the concrete pour. Which is on hold until either the bank approves it as an exception under the current loan or we can get the extension squared away. I may dip into some reserve funds to pay for the concrete myself as I can't lose the time.

Going forward I have a team to help me with the parts we've been doing or plan on doing ourselves and also may contract out some to my niece's husband, who has a small construction business, on a more formal basis (things I was not planning on doing myself). I can save budget wise there as he is less expensive than some of the others for things like painting and stuff. Have a meeting with him, hopefullytomorrow on the phone, to go over stuff like that where he can help out with him and his small crew. He is already helping (and getting paid by me outside the loan) for helping me do some of the parts I have been doing myself and he said he would help me with those parts going forward.

Train wise: I have a few pre-orders of a Japanese special livery train: Nankai railway Rapi:t "Sumikko Gurashi" (not from this vendor but here is the real one and the model (on the left): https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10829840/30/1

Supposed to come out end of May. I have it on reservation.

Also in June/July time frame a bunch of KATO Rhätische Bahn [RhB] (Swiss narrow gauge private railway) stuff is being released, some container wagons and containers and a special livery locomotive).

I am looking forward to these. All are ordered from the same dealer who is holding it all and shipping at once. I already paid and he is holding some in-stock KATO RhB stuff as well so this summer I should have an early Christmas.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then started putting in the cardboard lattice work with a hot glue gun. Of course, I burnt the crap out of one of my fingers. I always do. Tomorrow, I plan on putting the plaster cloth on. I hope I have enough for the job.🤞

I've been looking for around 6 crappy HO scale cars that I can trash for the village (40's or 50's) without costing too much. Any ideas?

Joe- Nice 1:1 photo and box car.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear about your continued breathing issues. Hopefully the Pulmonologist will get it figured out.

Guy- Cool kits and trestle photos.

Ken (IL)- I'm glad everything went well with the graduation.

Dave- Nice back yard.

Chad- Cool looking loco.

layout51.jpg

layout52.jpg

Roxie is hoping I get up and give her a snack!
20220513_191857 (1).jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening.
I needed to run to the LHS after I finished w*rk this afternoon to pick up a computer part the manager was having trouble with (spoiler alert: I fixed it, and will return it to him next trip there).
The railroad museum across the street is sponsoring a train show and swap meet. While I resisted the temptation to go and see if there was something I couldn't live without, I was not so lucky at the hobby shop itself. They had a used LGB G gauge train set there, consisting of an LGB 0-4-0 powered engine, powered tender, and a variety of LGB and other cars, with an oval on off-brand track and power supply for it. I thought to myself, "that would be cool for us to put under the tree this Christmas". I made my purchase, got in the car, and headed home, when I remembered, there is no more "us". Honestly, I probably won't even put up a tree this year.
So, if anybody's been thinking about a cute LGB train set to go under your Christmas tree, let me know. I'll make you a deal... Sigh...
5DF53A1A-FDC9-486A-9777-9E0A0FCFDC5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Doesn't work that way. Firearm availbility is not restricted by any laws that attempt to do so. Criminals get their guns no matter what. It is already illegal for criminals to have guns. Being criminals they just ignore the law.
I would remind everyone that both New York City, and the District of Columbia have the most restrictive regulations concerning owning, registering or carrying a firearm. Both Jurisdictions also have a serious problem of fire arm misuse by folks who have no regard for law, or their neighbors. Not one of the social misfits qualify for legal possession of their weapons, and not many have ever learned how to properly use them, as defined by the number of "unintended victims" resulting from their use of the fire arm.

I would remind everyone that both New York City, and the District of Columbia have the most restrictive regulations concerning owning, registering or carrying a firearm. Both Jurisdictions also have a serious problem of fire arm misuse by folks who have no regard for law, or their neighbors. Not one of the social misfits qualify for legal possession of their weapons, and not many have ever learned how to properly use them, as defined by the number of "unintended victims" resulting from their use of the fire arm.
Despite all this, they run over to the legal gun owners and want to take those away.

Good evening. 59° with dense fog. Might not see the sun until Tuesday.

Toronto Maple Leafs have again failed to go beyond the first round in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. They haven't won a cup since 1967.
Carolina advanced by beating Boston. :) Since the Capitals are out of this again, I have to find someone to get behind....Maybe the Canes, Maybe the Blues?
Baseball: Yankees lost, Orioles Lost, Nationals won. Mets blew 4 run lead....Phillies have big lead.

I tired of sports and went downstairs and ran a couple of trains.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 69° here in North Central Texas, looking forward to that high temperature today of 97°. Same pattern for a week or so.
Activity in the diner sure slowed down yesterday, hopefully folks were out enjoying some great Spring weather with friends and family. I spent part of the day attempting to catch up with the mowing that I wasn't able to do. I also did some vacuuming of the pool interspersed with letting the auto-vacuum roam around. I had to backwash the sand filter about every 30 minutes which was a real hassle to keep up with. Since there is no chlorine in it yet, the backwash water is watering various parts of the yard.

Well I made it into the train shed yesterday after a couple days of real life getting in the way. I did finish painting the brick walls of the bank structure, but I am not pleased with it right now. I'm thinking that I should have used the airbrush instead of hand painting. I also painted the front facade and a few windows to try out a color combination that I haven't used before. the walls may be usable as is if I weather them properly.
Today I will feature some random shots from downtown Maultown rather than individual structures, to give a perspective of some of them.
05-20-18 014.JPG

06-20-18 013.JPG

06-20-18 015.JPG

07-02-20 004.JPG

09-03-20 014 (2).JPG

10-12-19 015.JPG

I need to paint the fascia some day!

Guy - I like the trucks and trestle.
Joe - Some days I would rather bag my own groceries anyway. Makes sorting later much easier and there are idiots who don't understand the concept of "keep my cold stuff together" so I can use the cooler on the long trip home. The robotic checkers are a hassle where I go, due to checking ID's for alcohol and using coupons, both which require waiting for a human anyway. The checkers always bypass the ID thing if you look old enough which I do.

Everybody have a great day, whichever one it is!

Joe - Some days I would rather bag my own groceries anyway. Makes sorting later much easier and there are idiots who don't understand the concept of "keep my cold stuff together" so I can use the cooler on the long trip home. The robotic checkers are a hassle where I go, due to checking ID's for alcohol and using coupons, both which require waiting for a human anyway. The checkers always bypass the ID thing if you look old enough which I do.
Willie: Your grocery excursions are considerably longer than mine. None of the super markets sell alcohol, so thats not a consideration here either. There are places that never provided bags, for example, Aldi, Lidl, and Trader Joe's. At the Traders, you hand the cashier your bags, and they bag 'em. ShopRite, Stop & Shop,and Acme, routinely bagged as they went or employed baggers. It's the later three that now refuse to handle your bags. Coupons are available electronically, so Robo-checker is the way to go. Meanwhile, we buy as much as reasonable, at Costco and BJ's, (including gas).

Where does an 18 year old learn to hate so much that he walks into a grocery store and kills 10 unknown people?
Tom O': That is kind of hard to grasp, isn't it? Honestly, it's scary. And...He's from the Binghamton area, quite a distance from where the act took place. That took a lot of planning. How did he even know it was a black neighborhood? It's hard to comprehend.

Good Morning!
37F this fine, clear-sky Sunday. It's going to be a beautiful day.
Just in for a coffee, and then get on with something other than being inside.

After painting a-bit early this morning, I'm into dry time with the Sylvan truck. Not too much left to do; dry brush chrome parts and a wash before putting it all together, then touch-ups. Plus, I may as well give the windshield a try and see what happens. I've never done a windshield before.
52 Ford_05-15-2022.JPG

Generally speaking, I find TV to be a huge waste of time. If it weren't for the wife, I'd throw mine out the window. However, I did watch the Oilers conquer game 7 yesterday. That would be the first hockey game I've watched wall to wall on TV in over 30 years. I was amused by the fans all painted up and wearing wigs.

Curt - Great photos in your post's. I'm learning stuff from you. - Where I live, it's illegal to keep wildlife as pets, so no skunk for me.

Willie - Maultown is a fine looking town. I happen to like the color combination your using on the bank.

The shop don't seem too busy this morning, so I'll be heading out. Have a great day, everyone!

Good Morning, 67° and sunny. If it stays sunny, perhaps we might have a nice day?

More patheticly boring sports dribble: After whining that PIX 11 no longer carries NY Baseball, last night I saw the finish of the Mets rain delayed game with Seattle...on PIX 11. This morning I Googled Mets - PIX 11 and found the schedule. Generally, Saturday Night and Sunday afternoons. Further search, revealed that there are no Yankee games on live TV. Happy to be able to catch the Amazins ever so often.

My plans for today, are to spend time in the train room. Maybe do some painting, or work on background scenery.

RDG_C424_5201_CumberlandMd_1964_RodPeterson_o.jpg

Rod Peterson Slide of Reading 5201 leading a train through Cumberland, MD on the B&O. 1964. Must be a warm day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back