Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe me I have more range of calibers in my arsenal lol.....good choices though. I had a Glock 19 for a long time but I am a Sig guy. I also like my S&W and Colts.....ah heck I like them lol
I got a Weatherby 7mm that shoots Win mags. Is not Bambi time yet although I was hitting good paper at 350 yards during my last range visit to sight it in. Got a Glock .45 last time home, sweet weapon.

Man, y'all are talking about scenery - try getting in a tractor watching where you are a good 8ft from the pavement. You are looking down on everything! Love it when the halters come out. Makes life so much fun. No, haven't gone off the pavement looking. Well, ok so once when a couple of young Latino's were besides me in a convertable; had tops on, but that was it. Wife just laughs, then points out some good looking butt on that guy over there; well good looking to her.
One of the reasons we drive trucks all our lives…..

Ya, have 2 Ruger II .380's ( one is wifes ). You are spot on with the HMR, 200+ yards with no wind and @ 2600 fps pretty flat. I think that I remember something like a 1.5 inch drop.

Bigger IS better for stopping power. I would not use a .45 or .40 for a Bear, but a people - no problem. Ya just got to remember that the bigger bores shoot bigger bullets and they slow faster. So at 5ft to around 20ft you are good to go.

While we are at it, I just watched a news clip out of Philly - couple of guys pulled into a service station got out of their car with AK's ( looked like anyway ) and gunned down another guy filling his van. Multiple rounds fired by both guys. Broad daylight earlier this morning.

There have been record gun sales for ...what... the last 3 years. I guess that the $Million question is: When are all those folks gonna start fighting back and protecting each other. Gun fights in the street are not anything I want, but something has got to give.
Yes unfortunately that seems to be the case, pity the US doesn't take it's constitution to heart, by that I suggest you read the whole amendment, not just the bit that says "right to bear arms" which seems to be the only part of it some can remember.

I'm straying into the political side of things here, so I'm going to stop any further comments from myself.

Fortunately, in most countries, hollow points are illegal, even in the military under the Hague Protocol, something the US has never ratified, hence still legal in the US.

Having seen the results of hollow points on the human body as well as the "dum dum" they are probably one of the most horrific methods of killing invented by arms manufacturers.

Hollow points for civilian use should not be illegal. And I doubt for police use they are illegal in most countries. In war they are illegal for normal use (there are exceptions) and the US abides by that for the military -- the military rounds are full metal jacket.

If I am defending myself with a gun, it needs to be effective. Hollow points provide that. In a self defense case, you don't shoot to wound. You shoot to kill, because a wounded criminal can still kill you.

Fun fact: A sniper's sound suppressor actually can "trick" his enemy and helps mask his location. Although the "blast" from the gun is more or less silenced, the bullet (in this case a supersonic projectile) breaks the sound barrier as it flies. The resulting sonic crack travels out and away from the bullet much like the wake of a boat. This sonic crack "sounds" like it's coming from somewhere completely different than where the sniper is hiding.

Exactly. A lot of people think that a sound suppressor is useless unless you have subsonic ammo. The blast is directional. The crack of the bullet passing by is not. As you described...

I wish I had the funds to add a sound suppressor to everything I own. I have one suppressor but it requires a certain muzzle end device and most of my 5.56/22 sized rifles don't have that device...

Hollow points for civilian use should not be illegal. And I doubt for police use they are illegal in most countries. In war they are illegal for normal use (there are exceptions) and the US abides by that for the military -- the military rounds are full metal jacket.

If I am defending myself with a gun, it needs to be effective. Hollow points provide that. In a self defense case, you don't shoot to wound. You shoot to kill, because a wounded criminal can still kill you.
Most police do not use hollow point, simply because they are better trained than a civilian, and hit what they aim at, if they did use them they would end up in court not the person they shot.
The problem I have with civilian use is simple, they just shoot in the general direction of the perceived threat, and don't have the training required to hit first time, several shots are fired, what happens if you miss and hit a 5 year old, what then, say your sorry ? at least with a metal jacket round the kid might have a chance to live.

Rant Over.

While we are at it, I just watched a news clip out of Philly - couple of guys pulled into a service station got out of their car with AK's ( looked like anyway ) and gunned down another guy filling his van. Multiple rounds fired by both guys. Broad daylight earlier this morning.

There have been record gun sales for ...what... the last 3 years. I guess that the $Million question is: When are all those folks gonna start fighting back and protecting each other. Gun fights in the street are not anything I want, but something has got to give.
This sounds like a gang on gang or known on known scenario. It happens enough (fighting back) in those states that allow it. (PA is a shall issue state but I don't know how many people in Philly go for that sort of thing)

Most police do not use hollow point, simply because they are better trained than a civilian, and hit what they aim at, if they did use them they would end up in court not the person they shot.
The problem I have with civilian use is simple, they just shoot in the general direction of the perceived threat, and don't have the training required to hit first time, several shots are fired, what happens if you miss and hit a 5 year old, what then, say your sorry ? at least with a metal jacket round the kid might have a chance to live.

Rant Over.

Actually

and some other searching. Police in france use Speer Gold DOts according to one poster I read. Austrian police use a softpoint except for governmental protection units wgucg are allowed jacketed hollow points. Other countries prohibit them by police or restrict them.

Which is stupid. If you are shooting a person in self defense, you are shooting to kill and the modern hollowpoint is the most effective and best way to do that.

It is these sorts of policies that can lead to more dead cops and civilians because the injured bad guy kept shooting back and was not stopped.

In the US we don't have a problem with indiscriminate shooting by legally carrying folks. And we don't have a problem with it being hollow points. BTW.

Also, Dum Dum is a misnomer and colloquial name. Often used for self-made "expanding" bullets. Proper term is, for modern defensive ammo, JHP or jacketed hollow point. There are also other technologies for expanding bullets.

Yes unfortunately that seems to be the case, pity the US doesn't take it's constitution to heart, by that I suggest you read the whole amendment, not just the bit that says "right to bear arms" which seems to be the only part of it some can remember.

That is the whole amendment. "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The introductory clause has no legal or limiting bearing, but merely gives a reason or justification for the amendment. Simple English.

That is the whole amendment. "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The introductory clause has no legal or limiting bearing, but merely gives a reason or justification for the amendment. Simple English.
I believe you mean this.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And my question is now, define "Well regulated Militia"

I'm straying into the political side of things here, so I'm going to stop any further comments from myself.

We also have the right to arm Bears if need be. ;)

Obviously, some folks have never fired a weapon in a fight. Most cops have just as much trouble hitting their target in a real-world gun fight as just about any other gun owner.
One of the most common heard statements when a shooter is blasting away is: "Does anybody have a gun?" Ya hate em till ya need it.

Obviously, some folks have never fired a weapon in a fight. Most cops have just as much trouble hitting their target in a real-world gun fight as just about any other gun owner.
One of the most common heard statements when a shooter is blasting away is: "Does anybody have a gun?" Ya hate em till ya need it.
I suppose in a way it's good news that so few police have had to fire their weapon, but then the police departments should ensure regular (and by that I mean at least every 2-3 months) firearm training is carried out throughout the officer's career, not just a firearm certification, which, if memory serves, is just once a year.

Last edited:
I wonder what's causing this? That war didn't start until late February.
Willie: When the investment community is not happy, they make the rest of us suffer. Crude Oil prices have been creeping up for over a year, first excuse was "anticipating a pick-up in economic activity.Then it was something else, then the war came along. The producers are withholding production to keep prices high. Business taking advantage of political issues and natural disasters to increase their margins. Oil producers have been cutting capacity for years now, closing refineries etc. No one pays any attention until it hits the fan.. Deregulation responsible for much of this.

Not much actually because I got in on the pre order list right quick. $299.99 from Train World

I can get this in Florida East Coast livery.......£390.00 or $478.00, nice, but not that nice 🤣 🙃
I did look on trainworld as well, (lot cheaper) but it won't give me shipping cost's ☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back