Steam locomotive comparisons

Horishny

So, I'm considering putting up a loop (to start) in my yard for a small O gauge V&T replica. I am finding that obtaining V&T locomotives are scarce, though passenger cars seem to be available, so I expect I'll need to repaint (at least) another similar appearing model.
I'm not necessarily looking for exact replicas to existing V&T stock, but is there somewhere that I can go to compare similar locomotives but from different railroads, and then perhaps locate a suitable setup to repaint? I'm aware there are several configurations to choose from, but I really don't have the skills, equipment, or interest to dive into kitbashing one, but I feel, looking around that I am obliged to have to cut up parts from 2 or 3 other steam locomotives, to fabricate a reasonable looking replica.

Do I just settle for any roughly appearing locomotive and simply repaint it, or are there options I'm not aware of I should look into?

So, I'm considering putting up a loop (to start) in my yard for a small O gauge V&T replica. I am finding that obtaining V&T locomotives are scarce, though passenger cars seem to be available, so I expect I'll need to repaint (at least) another similar appearing model.
I'm not necessarily looking for exact replicas to existing V&T stock, but is there somewhere that I can go to compare similar locomotives but from different railroads, and then perhaps locate a suitable setup to repaint? I'm aware there are several configurations to choose from, but I really don't have the skills, equipment, or interest to dive into kitbashing one, but I feel, looking around that I am obliged to have to cut up parts from 2 or 3 other steam locomotives, to fabricate a reasonable looking replica.

Do I just settle for any roughly appearing locomotive and simply repaint it, or are there options I'm not aware of I should look into?
In O gauge, the Rivarossi/AHM company produced a real V&T locomotive #12 the Genoa. I think they called it "Old Time Locomotive". They are more rare than the IHB 0-8-0 and 4-6-0 Casey Jones models but they do show up from time to time on e-bay. They usually come as an unpowered kit, such that one has to buy the motorizing kit separately.

I don't remember if I have one of these in my collection or not. Next time I get to the "warehouse" I'll look around.

Last edited:
In O gauge, the Rivarossi/AHM company produced a real V&T locomotive #12 the Genoa. I think they called it "Old Time Locomotive". They are more rare than the IHB 0-8-0 and 4-6-0 Casey Jones models but they do show up from time to time on e-bay. They usually come as an unpowered kit, such that one has to buy the motorizing kit separately.

I don't remember if I have one of these in my collection or not. Next time I get to the "warehouse" I'll look around.
Thank you, totally at your convenience. I've not read about unpowered kits, where would I look for the motors?

Thanks for mentioning the Casey Jones, that's one of my goals: the General, the Jupiter, etc., I'm happy to learn which existing locomotives could be repainted to appear as a V&T, I know there were several drive configurations, so, as long as the locomotive doesn't have a trailing truck, there was a V&T running the same set up.

Thank you!
Leo

Not sure why I had trouble responding on the introduction thread, so I'll try here: Thank you, those are considerations I should pay attention to. I just assume that G gauge set ups are going to be more expensive, so that's partly why I leaned towards O, after learning that people do set up and run HO and O outdoors...I never knew that was ever even a possibility until recently and why I started looking into this; also why my goals were merely to have a loop running near where we sit.

Had trouble posting earlier...I looked a little and saw the Bachmann Big Hauler sets, and generally, the Philadelphia Flyer set did resemble the #25 & # 26, with not too much alteration.

That does give me an indication of the costs too...used equipment isn't too bad, but I will need to gather track. What radius loops are advised to run G scale? My idea was only 2 or 3 passenger cars, a caboose eventually, probably.
What sort of transformer do I need to look for?

Is there someone's site or You Tube channel you'd recommend me look at?

Leo

Back