Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Rain moving back in and some snow expected. Should be the heavy wet stuff as we "should" be above freezing until this crud moves east. It is part of the frontal system that gave TX and OK the tornados yesterday. Moving back into the 60's and 70's by the weekend. Getting close to time for the peaches to bloom. Hopefully this year we don't get the late hard freeze that took all of them last year.

Since the new Assistant City Manager came from a county that paid a ransom attack, he's big on cyber security. 3 meetings called for by DHS all relating to Russian Hackers. Got to be in all 3. It was easier when I knew there was a threat as a concept rather than knowing what's actually happening. Sometimes I really think it would be a good time to retire...
I have a huge interest in the security side of things, though I've not really worked at that. I used to be a certified computer forensic analyst (GCFA) and loved doing that work, but don't know as much as I'd like about security.

Good Morning All. Clear and 46°. Weather here has settled down. The tornado conditions last evening were ominous at the very least, but were not quite scary. Since we never lost power, we were able to track them on radar on the TV and they stayed far enough away to be safe. We were prepared with the tornado kit and safe space ready, but thankfully didn't have to use either. The rotating cloud mass overhead dissipated as quickly as it formed, and if it had touched down, it would have done so a little to the NE of my location, experience has shown. This is not my first rodeo as the saying goes. While the rain was much needed and appreciated, it will mean mowing by week's end. It was only our second real rain since the first of the year. The only other one was 2-21.

My CT scan yesterday went well, no problems encountered. Of course the techie would not tell me anything. Sometimes I can get them to at least give a hint, but not this time. My weight loss program is moving forward, I did lose the six pounds that I gained over the Christmas holiday, now on to the harder part. It's not been easy since my activity level has been diminished since the pneumonia set in, but it is picking up slightly lately.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the diesels and flatcar load; Tom O, Steve J, Troy, Smudge, Guy, Chad, Lee, Hughie, IB Ken, Dave B, Joe, Louis, Curt, Gary, Rick, Tom, OB Ken, George, Sherrel.

Time in the train shed yesterday was cut short due to the weather. However I was able to get started with my newest short term project of populating some of the recent models that I built. I made progress, but the pictures turned out too blurry to use in one case. Here's the other.
You may remember the General Store.
Before.
IMG_0576.JPG

After. I added a box and tank as well.
IMG_0578.JPG

I'll retake the other structure and post it tomorrow.

Smudge - Regarding your rant. That is the very reason that I purchase all of my stuff from hobby shops. I want the item in my hands when I fork over my money. I am real lucky to have had a shop nearby when I did the bulk of my purchases prior to retirement. I still have one to go to about 60 miles away, but it is only five miles from my grandkids homes. My only exception has been ScaleTrains where money doesn't change hands until they ship.
Tom O - Somewhere else on the layout I have another flat car with aluminum billet on it.
Dave B - Back in the day, cattle trains had to stop and offload the cattle every 36 hours for feed, water and exercise. I am unsure just when that law was passed, but I believe it was prior to 1900.
Steve J - It really looks like you have plenty of room for expansion...if you can get permission!

Everybody have a great day. If you're east of me, watch out for this weather system. Looks like it extends all of the way up to Troy. Be Safe.

Good Morning!
A small heatwave is passing through over the next couple of days, and it's going to be lovely outside. Right now, it's 28F out there. Beautiful weather. Might even fool the tree leaves into budding out.

It was a very good day in the mail yesterday, with two packages arriving:
Kits_03-21-2022 (1).jpg

Kits_03-21-2022 (3).jpg

I wanted that 1960's gas station, as it looked very close to a B/A station that was actually in Whitecourt during the 50's/60's. Here's a photo of the actual store, now long gone:
Whitecourt BA_1960ish.jpg

The Inter-Action kit came with the British American markings option.

Last evening, I began cleaning up parts for building the bridge. I'll need it for scale accuracy when I build the river crossing on the new layout tables. My plan is to build and scribe abutments using DAP air-dry modelling clay.

The wife is off work for a couple of days, so not much is happening with the layout table system. I hope to get more done on that today!
I won't be in tomorrow probably, because we are going to the city; early. The wife wants to spend money on stuff for her gardening hobby.

Willie - I'd pick snow and cold over tornado's any day! I do hope you don't get hit, and the train shed disappears. Or worse, you disappear.

Steve - The layout you built looks wonderful. Well done!!

Curt - Thankyou for answering my questions. The warehouse looks great all lite-up.

Folks, here's my rant for the day!
It cost me $60.96 to send a 0.9kg package to the Netherlands yesterday. That's the last tanned deer-hide I can send to my cousin in Holland. I can't afford the postage cost to send her any more hides. - The world is going to crap!!!

Have a good one!

Since the new Assistant City Manager came from a county that paid a ransom attack, he's big on cyber security. 3 meetings called for by DHS all relating to Russian Hackers. Got to be in all 3. It was easier when I knew there was a threat as a concept rather than knowing what's actually happening. Sometimes I really think it would be a good time to retire...

Chatting with a guy working in IT security within the medical community. He says the medical community is known for having crap security. Never mind the HIPAA violations, which are bad, but now hackers are working to be able to hack INTO medical devices themselves, possibly even targeting an individual and killing them through hacking the med device keeping them alive or administering drugs. Wow.

Steve J - It really looks like you have plenty of room for expansion...if you can get permission!

Everybody have a great day. If you're east of me, watch out for this weather system. Looks like it extends all of the way up to Troy. Be Safe.

Well, negotiations are ongoing regarding a future "on the walls" layout to go over those easy chairs, through the closet, and turning 90 degrees to go over the existing layout, with a possible lift-out to make another turn to go over the piano. I am holding out the carrot that that would be an an excellent point-to-point passenger run - - just perfect for cutesy villages and gingerbread houses. Momma dint rise no fewl.

Morning all,

Rain moving back in and some snow expected. Should be the heavy wet stuff as we "should" be above freezing until this crud moves east. It is part of the frontal system that gave TX and OK the tornados yesterday. Moving back into the 60's and 70's by the weekend. Getting close to time for the peaches to bloom. Hopefully this year we don't get the late hard freeze that took all of them last year.

Patrick, retire on your terms. You will know when

TomO

Good morning. Waiting for paint to dry, approval from a weathering client and the time to pass before heading to lunch with the grandson. The school district is off for Spring break so the 8yr old and I will hit Subway. He is paying from the gift cards he still has from Xmas. We did my 1/2 hour of lap swimming this morning. He keeps up with me. Yes, I have greatly slowed down but starting to speed up.

Tomorrow, I will start looking at the day and overnight trips while visiting the son in Austin. The tornados and high winds he said last night were all around him but miles thankfully away. His g/f lives in RoundRock and saw her 1st tornado pass a block or so over in her neighborhood. Lots of damage there. The son said she showed up at his place unexpectedly at 8:30 last night. He has no damage but he thinks he has parts of someone’s barn or shed on his property. The horses he said were spooked so he went out there and let them into the paddock. Maybe 20 minutes outside and all 3 wanted back in the stable. He also mentioned the g/f wants a spot in the garage to park her car. I asked what did he say to that? “I put the door opener app on her phone” this dad just chuckled.

Have a great day
TomO

Patrick, retire on your terms. You will know when

Patrick, speaking of retirement and my own experience, I retired in June of 2012 and never looked back. We took a long weekend driving up to Hayward, Wisconsin and while Cathy went shopping I visited the Moccasin Bar which is a tourist attraction in Hayward.

I was the only person sitting at the bar drinking a Mt Dew when two "Old Timers" in their late 80's walked in and sat several stools away from me. They both ordered Brandy Manhattans, with olives. I listened to the guys talk and they were on a mission to get some steaks and refreshments for their cabin and their friends who were fishing. It sounded like there were six of them and they all retired form the same company within weeks of each other. This was an annual outing for them and they will spend a week in the woods enjoying themselves and fishing.

I learn that they were best friends for at least 50 years and if still working they couldn't all leave work together for their annual outings. Certain changes at work made their decision to retire a reality and now they pick a weekend in May and all meet for a week at the cabin. Weekly they had card games at each other's homes.

One guy said that retiring early was the best decision he ever made in his life.

I started talking to them and they were really happy fellows and enjoyed retirement even if their incomes were lower, but they had more fun together and not having the stress of the their jobs.

The more I listened to them the more I wanted to retire.

It was May 15th and right there and then I decided to retire. I told the two guys of my decision to retire after listening to them talk and how happy they seemed to be with life and they brought me a Brandy Manhattan to celebrate. The bar tender hearing my news brought the three of us a round of drinks. June 15th was my target date to retire.

I drove home and knew I was making the right decision.

When I went back to work, I announced to the GM when he came into my office that I was planning to retire in the near future, but I didn't give him a date. I think he thought I was kidding until two weeks later I gave him my written "Letter of Resignation" effective on Friday, June 15th. It took six months to find my replacement and he lasted only three years due to the stress of the job.

I had saved over four weeks of vacation and some personal days that would finance the start of my retirement.

That next Saturday, we left for a week at the cabin and no more 3:00 AM or telephone calls on Christmas Eve for me.

Patrick, you'll know when the time is right to retire. I had planned as much as six months in advance of the start of retirement to know exactly how much my living expenses would be right down to the cost for oil changes for our three vehicles. I was ready.

Retirement is great! 👍👍👍

Greg

Good afternoon, it is 34° and snow is falling, there is a heavy blanket on the ground right now. Yuk.

I had a crappy day at work yesterday, started out swamped and it pretty much went downhill from there. Tried to have a talk with myself about feeling so crappy but got nowhere. :(

Today is better. The snow is kind of putting a damper on things, however

Retirement - that would be great but we would be living pretty close to poverty. A couple years back I ran the numbers and would actually be better off with all the medical benefits and give away programs (than working) here in Minnesota. If we have a serious automobile issue, I think that would seal the deal (to retire). It would cost more to purchase a new (er) car than any gain I am getting from working more years. However, the job is pretty easy compared to what I dealt with most of my life, but I am only home and not sleeping a few hours each early evening and weekends.

Hughie - hope the tornadoes missed you

Willie - glad the twister missed you

Troy - "power through" ... I love it

Ken OBTC - glad about the job

Speaking on tornadoes, I've seen a couple in my days. Spent a month cleaning up after the famous Siren Wisconsin tornado, working as a volunteer. There is kind of a weird feeling when helping someone clean up, almost like they want the help but they do not want you to help. I think it is the feeling of helplessness that the victims experiences coupled with disbelief and charity.

Here is a photo from the archives:

landscape1 001.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Good Afternoon everyone. Cold and rainy here in the Ozark Foothills. Willie some more great pics as well as the others. that posted there layout pics. Thanks for the likes and complements yesterday The other day I had to move my O scale Coal operation so the hoppers could get unloaded better. I like it now where it’s at gives a different look to the layout. Enjoy your day.
E4DE2D26-5C8B-479A-9705-5EE318BEAB66.jpeg
CEF3E85C-7C13-49A9-BE29-5E6C590C5C59.jpeg
9810EC78-05F6-4A3D-8557-425A7C4DACC2.jpeg
FF1C5EA1-3359-4142-A394-E9042886780F.jpeg
FC197E26-17D7-401B-9CDC-8ED562D82C61.jpeg
142D56EA-5A47-4B25-9A5B-85A18AB3F481.jpeg
61900123-352A-4C62-BCFC-7F8363C310E1.jpeg
4BBA77AA-D84B-4637-85E5-A04CFBB0A7E5.jpeg

My retirement was by my terms as well. My objective was to maximize the SS check, work as long as I was happy with the job and most of all, still have the energy and stamina to hit the road for weeks at a time on the motorcycle each summer. Got all three and punched out on 18 May 2018. 10 years since the wife passed on so I'm adjusted quite well to single life. In my early 70s and still very healthy. 4 summers now of meandering motorcycle tours across the country on secondary roads. Stop where I want and when I want. No time table to meet, just enjoying the life. I don't ride with others while sojourning because it's all my time. Lots of thought out on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back