Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you recall Gordons Seafood in Balt,..took up the whole block along rt 40. We use to visit their resturant aroubd the corner ever month or so (from Aberdeen Proving Grounds). They had FABULOUS crap cakes and Imperial Crab
I don't remember the place in Aberdeen, but I know they had a few places around town. I'll ask my sister, she will remember.
Crab imperial... I have not had that in years!
I'm cheap, I seldom ever buy food at any restaurant. When we do get crabs I steam them myself.

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours in the train room. I finished the ground cover around the one end of the icehouse complex. I also made a concrete pad for the 2nd freight house. I only did a mid-length expansion joint on the 2 outer sections because you won't be able to see any more than that.

Todd- The picture with the mountain goats is awesome.

Hughie- Looks like good progress.

Gary- 👍.

Steve- You should do a video of a train running through the RL. We love photos and video!

Willie- That's positive progress. Nice lineup of locos yesterday and today. Today's IMHO are the ugliest one's ever except for the BL2.

Joe- Wouldn't that photo count as an early Conrail paint scheme?

Mike- Sorry to hear that. I hope everything turns out OK for you.

Terry- Continued prayers for you and Marie.

Tom- Excellent kitbashing and detailing.

TomO- Safe travels.

layout3.jpg

layout4.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon all,

Well after opening about a million boxes (most still sealed), we eliminated another shelving unit in the garage. Sadly, they all left and I'm still flattening boxes and cleaning the garage so I can get the cars back in. Surprisingly, I found the box of computer games I knew I still had. Been 8 years since I saw them last. Now to see how many work under Windows 10\11. I'm betting maybe a couple. Well back to it.

Very nice, someone has been busy :) , I think the layer lines could be painted over, , I know you go all out with anything you do, and seem slightly disappointed, but not exactly your fault is it ?

You've gone for a flat topped dry wall, so, my suggestion, (not that you asked, I know) would be some woodland scenic, add some weathering that would make them look amazing and would really bring the detail out.
Problem with modelling this type of wall, is that there are very small voids from one side to the other which I would think would be quite time consuming to be able program in, (I've never done any 3D printing, so what do I know) and their not perfectly vertical either. A dry wall is, by necessity, about half as wide again at the base than at the top.
Go all out? Nope... I'm a "close enough to call it done" or "close enough for govt work" type of person

Since these are going to be used and abused as part of gaming terrain, not part of a diorama, they can be close enough.

Looks like my ideas of greenery and/or mortar will work just fine.

Patrick, I miss the old computers games that came with detailed story/instruction booklets.
Now everything is mostly downloaded. My grandsons and my son love the streaming service Steam.
If I had more time I would play "Hearts of Iron" it is what "Third Reich" should have been on the PC.
I loved those old Avalon Hill board games!

Good afternoon, all! A simply beautiful day. Pleasant temps and low humidity made being outside great.
No train room today as we had guests nearly all day,
Flo, I want to try the grilled cheese with pimento and jalapeno, please with a glass of iced tea.

Terry - Sorry to hear of the return trip to the hospital. Hoping everything works out.🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

STAY SAFE
LATER

Can’t wait to see them in service, they turned out awesome !
Is that black thread you used on your boom crane?

Good early morning everyone!
Enjoying fresh coffee this morning and think I will take a drive down to the Annapolis Valley today, it will only cost me an arm and a leg……lol.
Thank You! Yes that thread is black, I couldnt find the color I was looking for, so just used what was in the kit.

A good calm-before-the-storm morning to you all.
Supposed to be a beautiful day today at +/- 45F, and then we get sucker-punched with 8" of new snow for tomorrow.

Yesterday, I build the river-crossing platform for my layout table. It's actually part of my first layout table attempt which has been cut up and modified for use here.
The drop from the layout is 9" 1/1, which translates to a 65' drop to river bottom in 1/87. Hoping to build-up the river gorge walls with styrafoam layers and cut in a nice rock landscape. - However, the picture in my mind don't always translate well into real life.

Here's a couple shots of where I'm at:
View attachment 143140
View attachment 143141
Today, I might try to build the other side of the river crossing module. I'm not yet fixed on how I want it to go, so I've got some thinking to do after coffee.

TomH - The work train is wonderful. Well done, indeed!

Coffee's done, so I gotta go. Have a good one!
Thank You.

Good morning, 59° and sunny.

Tom H: Great job on the Wreck Derrick.

Guy: Good Progress.

Lee: Nice Truck Train terminal.

Yesterday,I applied the banding on the long flat car load, using 1/16" chart tape. Looks a little oversized to me, so I may re-do it with 1/32" Otherwise, It looks good, and runs well. I have the SD35s consisted, they run well as the speeds are close enough.

Thanks for all the likes of my previous posts.
Thanks Borris.

Good Morning All. Clear, dark and 42° here this morning, headed up to 76° later on today.

Another 7.5 hour sleep period last night. I feel great this morning. Maybe the restless, sleepless nights are behind me now. Still had to take a potty break , but I was able to return to sleeping. I realize that those breaks will never go away, they were there long before the recent sleep issues.

The postponed corned beef and cabbage will be tonight. I will fix mine in the crockpot with carrots and onions. No potatoes here to reduce the carb count.

As I posted yesterday, I did get the tankless water heater working again. I had to replace the flow sensor and a heating element. I probably ruined the heating element myself by leaving the breakers on after the flow sensor failed. However only one of the two elements disintegrated, so I will return the other one to Amazon for a refund. The flow sensor was $18 and the new element was $40. Cheaper than a new unit! It was also the easiest plumbing repair that I have made. Since it is mounted on the wall, there was no stooping or crawling under and into cabinets or under the house involved in the repair.
In addition to getting the water heater back into service yesterday, I made a trip to the feed & seed store to get some nursery plants. A bit disappointing as they did not have some of what I wanted. They had every member of the cabbage family (collards, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage) but no broccoli. I did get some lettuce and spinach plants which I will plant today. I have already planted red lettuce and cabbage along with onions last week or so. I did pick up squash and green bean seed but it is too early for tomato or pepper plants. It's too early to be planting them or the green beans. The squash I will plant in pots indoors to get an early start. So to make the trip more worthwhile, I also stopped at the German sausage place, Rumpy's, and picked up some summer sausage and dinner links and brats.

Thanks for the likes on the engine pictures yesterday; Hughie, Tom O, Louis, Dave B, Patrick, Chad, Troy, Steve J, Gary, Smudge, James, IB Ken, Tom, Rick, OB Ken, Lee, Joe, Guy, Tom H.

I finally got to spend about an hour in the train shed yesterday. I did a little more ground cover but I mostly moved trains around.
A pair of Dash9-44CW's in the staging yard getting ready to depart northbound on the upper level.
View attachment 143152
For Sherrel, my complete line-up of CF7's.
View attachment 143157
View attachment 143160
View attachment 143161

Louis - Unless you are making your own, I don't know of any crab cakes at any grocery or inland restaurant that does not use some imitation crab in their crab cakes.
Lee - No worry about the rooster. My neighbor raises them for sale on the Oklahoma Indian Reservations where cock-fighting is still quasi-legal. I hear them 24/7.
Todd - I can't really tell, but what are those two things on top of CP8917???
Mike - Hope that the docs can get it figured out quickly.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Thats a few of those CF7's. Didnt they used to have hoards of those thing on a train?

Thats a few of those CF7's. Didnt they used to have hoards of those thing on a train?
Depended on the train. On the Ft Worth to Oklahoma City main line that I primarily railfanned, there were occasions where I would see 8-10 lashed up. But they were used more often for "sweeper" runs and local switching. ATSF had a whole lot of SD45's, GP38's, U36C's, SD40-2's, U23B's and SD45-2's at the time and the CF7's weren't used as main line power unless there was nothing else available. I don't know about other locales. I use mine only for local switching.
BTW - Sweeper runs was a term that Santa Fe used for a train that just ran from yard to yard, or out and back, that just picked up empties along the way. Made switching for local runs easier and more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back