Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess there needs to be Derrick for this Derrick work train. This is a Tichy 120 ton crane, I did modify some of the build, as I added a hand brake, by Calscale, and a few small ladder segments to the sides. There is a very close resemblance to this derrick at the Moffat County RR museum in Granby CO. I noticed the inside operator station was painted what I was told a sea-foam green. I thought it was a nice touch, I also remember some 2nd gen EMD cab interiors painted the same color, it is kinda pleasing to the eye. I weathered it up some though. Hey its oil fired steam right. I wish Tichy would have molded the boom in cast white metal, it sure would help with the rigging cables appearance as it is I try to keep tension on the boom with right now with a rubber band. Also the kit comes with archbar type trucks, I updated to a Bettendorf truck. Floquil old silver and my QA&P MW decals
DSCN3857.JPG
DSCN3858.JPG
DSCN3859.JPG
Thanks again for stopping for a look-see.

Next step is to take these cars out to the barn and put them into service.
Can’t wait to see them in service, they turned out awesome !
Is that black thread you used on your boom crane?

Good early morning everyone!
Enjoying fresh coffee this morning and think I will take a drive down to the Annapolis Valley today, it will only cost me an arm and a leg……lol.

Last edited:
Question for the rural types, especially our British and European friends:

What's on top of stone fences? Just stones? Smaller stones? Plant growth? A layer of mortar?

Why?

I recently had two 3D print runs of stone wall fencing fail on the top two or three layers. That left the stone walls with open voids at the top. The voids went all the way down the print, so I had to close them. The easiest way was Gorilla Glue (polyurethane) and a dip into WS Fine Ballast.

The printer issue was a loose tensioner arm on the extruder. I didn't want to toss them since they were almost complete.

These will get used on gaming tables for our toy soldiers (aka Man-Barbies), and need to be fairly robust for transport to and fro.

My default thought was to paint the glue and ballast layer in grey for a mortar topper. But, I wondered about adding some flock of various shades, and maybe tree bits for either moss or ivy? I'd need to have some creepers up the walls if I went with ivy.

So... what's on your stone walls?

Thanks for all the likes and comments on that L-131 guys I do appreciate it.
Beautiful day here in Grand Junction, I slept thru almost all of it. Maybe get some time to enjoy tomorrow, supposed to be 60+ deg. I hope to get out to the train barn for a while, maybe open the doors and get some fresh air in there. I have been working on a few projects for a few months, I never throw anything away, the wife reminds me often that I should throw away some junk, but hey it my junk.
Speaking of junk, this is a Athearn caboose from a wreck that was repurposed into a derrick train caboose/ tool car. I painted/ weathered then added the Miller genset/welder and the cutting torch kit and JOBOX tool box from custom finishes, a few barrels from, torch bottles from Tichy, some jacks and stands as well as re-rail frogs from Details West. Used brass wire to make the end and side railings/grabs some tool boxes from Precision scale and a few other odds and ends. Some Evergreen styrene was used to complete the car. I bent up some coupler cut bars for it.
Painted the car with some old silver Floquil and made some decals up for QA&P MW service. Anyway here it is ready to be put into service.
View attachment 143123
View attachment 143124
View attachment 143125
View attachment 143126

Next is the derrick boom car, this was made from a part of an MDC flat car, part of an Athearn gondola, with some metal caboose step castings. I never throw anything away. The details include wood cribbing for the derrick, spreader bars from Tichy and one made from Stryrene various details from woodland scenics and others. Painted with Floquil old silver, and some QA&P MW decals. Work trains can be a lot of fun to build. I enjoy not being tied down to a specific prototype to model. Bent up some coupler cut bars for it too. Next step is to take these cars out to the barn and put them into service.
View attachment 143127
View attachment 143128
View attachment 143129
Thanks for taking a look.
Nice looking set up.

A good calm-before-the-storm morning to you all.
Supposed to be a beautiful day today at +/- 45F, and then we get sucker-punched with 8" of new snow for tomorrow.

Yesterday, I build the river-crossing platform for my layout table. It's actually part of my first layout table attempt which has been cut up and modified for use here.
The drop from the layout is 9" 1/1, which translates to a 65' drop to river bottom in 1/87. Hoping to build-up the river gorge walls with styrafoam layers and cut in a nice rock landscape. - However, the picture in my mind don't always translate well into real life.

Here's a couple shots of where I'm at:
LayoutConst_03-18-2022 (1).jpg

LayoutConst_03-18-2022 (2).jpg

Today, I might try to build the other side of the river crossing module. I'm not yet fixed on how I want it to go, so I've got some thinking to do after coffee.

TomH - The work train is wonderful. Well done, indeed!

Coffee's done, so I gotta go. Have a good one!

I guess there needs to be Derrick for this Derrick work train. This is a Tichy 120 ton crane, I did modify some of the build, as I added a hand brake, by Calscale, and a few small ladder segments to the sides. There is a very close resemblance to this derrick at the Moffat County RR museum in Granby CO. I noticed the inside operator station was painted what I was told a sea-foam green. I thought it was a nice touch, I also remember some 2nd gen EMD cab interiors painted the same color, it is kinda pleasing to the eye. I weathered it up some though. Hey its oil fired steam right. I wish Tichy would have molded the boom in cast white metal, it sure would help with the rigging cables appearance as it is I try to keep tension on the boom with right now with a rubber band. Also the kit comes with archbar type trucks, I updated to a Bettendorf truck. Floquil old silver and my QA&P MW decals
View attachment 143130
View attachment 143131
View attachment 143132
Thanks again for stopping for a look-see.
Great looking work train. What'll be pulling it.

Good Morning all. It’s a Cool Cloudy 39 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Thanks for all the likes and complements yesterday.

Wille. I’ve seen to many of those elements in my lifetime I care to recall.

Terry. Praying all goes well with Marie.

Thought I would share some pic of my layout back when I would have as a modern one. Take care enjoy your day.
9BC02C42-0ED1-4949-B834-08BAFB739C53.jpeg
B281423D-6685-468B-96F9-654B4D834C7D.jpeg
31C9D975-27E1-4D58-85CF-F392343E7717.jpeg
FDEEF7D2-902B-49C1-A2A5-D434EB544005.jpeg
B978E1A1-9423-438E-8E97-1E0B7B8A28D1.jpeg
30E7B67A-0C25-465D-9033-CFD994F2B713.jpeg
372577F6-5DA6-4D5B-8691-1F4D745CFCB7.jpeg
63F7BEA7-9465-4552-B0D3-0A6B9C0788DF.jpeg

Good morning, 59° and sunny.

Tom H: Great job on the Wreck Derrick.

Guy: Good Progress.

Lee: Nice Truck Train terminal.

Yesterday,I applied the banding on the long flat car load, using 1/16" chart tape. Looks a little oversized to me, so I may re-do it with 1/32" Otherwise, It looks good, and runs well. I have the SD35s consisted, they run well as the speeds are close enough.

Thanks for all the likes of my previous posts.

Good Morning All. Clear, dark and 42° here this morning, headed up to 76° later on today.

Another 7.5 hour sleep period last night. I feel great this morning. Maybe the restless, sleepless nights are behind me now. Still had to take a potty break , but I was able to return to sleeping. I realize that those breaks will never go away, they were there long before the recent sleep issues.

The postponed corned beef and cabbage will be tonight. I will fix mine in the crockpot with carrots and onions. No potatoes here to reduce the carb count.

As I posted yesterday, I did get the tankless water heater working again. I had to replace the flow sensor and a heating element. I probably ruined the heating element myself by leaving the breakers on after the flow sensor failed. However only one of the two elements disintegrated, so I will return the other one to Amazon for a refund. The flow sensor was $18 and the new element was $40. Cheaper than a new unit! It was also the easiest plumbing repair that I have made. Since it is mounted on the wall, there was no stooping or crawling under and into cabinets or under the house involved in the repair.
In addition to getting the water heater back into service yesterday, I made a trip to the feed & seed store to get some nursery plants. A bit disappointing as they did not have some of what I wanted. They had every member of the cabbage family (collards, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage) but no broccoli. I did get some lettuce and spinach plants which I will plant today. I have already planted red lettuce and cabbage along with onions last week or so. I did pick up squash and green bean seed but it is too early for tomato or pepper plants. It's too early to be planting them or the green beans. The squash I will plant in pots indoors to get an early start. So to make the trip more worthwhile, I also stopped at the German sausage place, Rumpy's, and picked up some summer sausage and dinner links and brats.

Thanks for the likes on the engine pictures yesterday; Hughie, Tom O, Louis, Dave B, Patrick, Chad, Troy, Steve J, Gary, Smudge, James, IB Ken, Tom, Rick, OB Ken, Lee, Joe, Guy, Tom H.

I finally got to spend about an hour in the train shed yesterday. I did a little more ground cover but I mostly moved trains around.
A pair of Dash9-44CW's in the staging yard getting ready to depart northbound on the upper level.
07-12-19 003.001.JPG

For Sherrel, my complete line-up of CF7's.
10-20-19 001.JPG

10-20-19 002.JPG

10-20-19 003.JPG

Louis - Unless you are making your own, I don't know of any crab cakes at any grocery or inland restaurant that does not use some imitation crab in their crab cakes.
Lee - No worry about the rooster. My neighbor raises them for sale on the Oklahoma Indian Reservations where cock-fighting is still quasi-legal. I hear them 24/7.
Todd - I can't really tell, but what are those two things on top of CP8917???
Mike - Hope that the docs can get it figured out quickly.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Question for the rural types, especially our British and European friends:

What's on top of stone fences? Just stones? Smaller stones? Plant growth? A layer of mortar?

Why?

I recently had two 3D print runs of stone wall fencing fail on the top two or three layers. That left the stone walls with open voids at the top. The voids went all the way down the print, so I had to close them. The easiest way was Gorilla Glue (polyurethane) and a dip into WS Fine Ballast.

The printer issue was a loose tensioner arm on the extruder. I didn't want to toss them since they were almost complete.

These will get used on gaming tables for our toy soldiers (aka Man-Barbies), and need to be fairly robust for transport to and fro.

My default thought was to paint the glue and ballast layer in grey for a mortar topper. But, I wondered about adding some flock of various shades, and maybe tree bits for either moss or ivy? I'd need to have some creepers up the walls if I went with ivy.

So... what's on your stone walls?
As you don't have a pic. it's difficult to say what would suit the walls you have printed. I'm assuming these are dry stone walls, so all hand laid with no mortar, If these walls are under trees, or forested area's moss usually forms on top and sides, if on open fields normally little or no natural growth on top, here are some photo's I found. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1000_F_111841210_PE7OQhKe6ANeL93M59tYeRIgWTTlGb7W.jpg
    1000_F_111841210_PE7OQhKe6ANeL93M59tYeRIgWTTlGb7W.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 59
  • dry-stone-wall-in-the-countryside-near-malham-wharfedale-yorkshire-BRT7MA.jpg
    dry-stone-wall-in-the-countryside-near-malham-wharfedale-yorkshire-BRT7MA.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 66
  • moss-drystone-wall-woodland-wall.jpg
    moss-drystone-wall-woodland-wall.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 58
  • mossy_wall.jpg
    mossy_wall.jpg
    1,012 KB · Views: 59
  • irish-stone-walls-2790674.jpg
    irish-stone-walls-2790674.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear, dark and 42° here this morning, headed up to 76° later on today.

Another 7.5 hour sleep period last night. I feel great this morning. Maybe the restless, sleepless nights are behind me now. Still had to take a potty break , but I was able to return to sleeping. I realize that those breaks will never go away, they were there long before the recent sleep issues.

The postponed corned beef and cabbage will be tonight. I will fix mine in the crockpot with carrots and onions. No potatoes here to reduce the carb count.

As I posted yesterday, I did get the tankless water heater working again. I had to replace the flow sensor and a heating element. I probably ruined the heating element myself by leaving the breakers on after the flow sensor failed. However only one of the two elements disintegrated, so I will return the other one to Amazon for a refund. The flow sensor was $18 and the new element was $40. Cheaper than a new unit! It was also the easiest plumbing repair that I have made. Since it is mounted on the wall, there was no stooping or crawling under and into cabinets or under the house involved in the repair.
In addition to getting the water heater back into service yesterday, I made a trip to the feed & seed store to get some nursery plants. A bit disappointing as they did not have some of what I wanted. They had every member of the cabbage family (collards, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage) but no broccoli. I did get some lettuce and spinach plants which I will plant today. I have already planted red lettuce and cabbage along with onions last week or so. I did pick up squash and green bean seed but it is too early for tomato or pepper plants. It's too early to be planting them or the green beans. The squash I will plant in pots indoors to get an early start. So to make the trip more worthwhile, I also stopped at the German sausage place, Rumpy's, and picked up some summer sausage and dinner links and brats.

Thanks for the likes on the engine pictures yesterday; Hughie, Tom O, Louis, Dave B, Patrick, Chad, Troy, Steve J, Gary, Smudge, James, IB Ken, Tom, Rick, OB Ken, Lee, Joe, Guy, Tom H.

I finally got to spend about an hour in the train shed yesterday. I did a little more ground cover but I mostly moved trains around.
A pair of Dash9-44CW's in the staging yard getting ready to depart northbound on the upper level.
View attachment 143152
For Sherrel, my complete line-up of CF7's.
View attachment 143157
View attachment 143160
View attachment 143161

Louis - Unless you are making your own, I don't know of any crab cakes at any grocery or inland restaurant that does not use some imitation crab in their crab cakes.
Lee - No worry about the rooster. My neighbor raises them for sale on the Oklahoma Indian Reservations where cock-fighting is still quasi-legal. I hear them 24/7.
Todd - I can't really tell, but what are those two things on top of CP8917???
Mike - Hope that the docs can get it figured out quickly.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Thanks Willie. I like that Dash set up leaving town they look nice

As you don't have a pic. it's difficult to say what would suit the walls you have printed. I'm assuming these are dry stone walls, so all hand laid with no mortar, If these walls are under trees, or forested area's moss usually forms on top and sides, if on open fields normally little or no natural growth on top, here are some photo's I found. Hope this helps
Ask and you shall receive:

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 10.14.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 10.14.43 AM.png

The one above shows my fix with CA glue and ballast (center) vs a gorilla glue light use (left) and heavy use (right)
Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 10.14.09 AM.png

I'm not happy with the layer lines, but I didn't realize the extruder tension arm was loose. The pics above are about 1/4 of what I printed.

Good morning all! 41 degrees and rainy heading for 47 and rainy here in SE Illinois. Lazy morning here, just drinking coffee and relaxing.

As I previously said, yesterday was my last day working at Lowe's. Despite a lot of legitimate things to gripe about, my experience there was largely positive. I made some good friends and learned a lot about electrical wiring and a little about plumbing. I really appreciated all co-workers who came to find me yesterday to wish me well and thank me for being a hard worker and someone they could count on. I'm sure going to miss all of them and even some of my regular customers. I'll miss the type of work I did, but not all the stressful stuff that went along with it. Now, it's on to the next adventure and I can't wait!

Went out for dinner with my wife yesterday evening. Nothing fancy, just really good burger from a locally owned place in a nearby town. That place has excellent food and we love going there, but it's about 45 miles away so we don't go often.

Nothing else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning from slushy So. Central Wisconsin. If this slush interferes with traffic today, many drivers licenses should be revoked. The weather folks missed again, we may have 1/4” but no where near 2-3”.

Terry, it reads like you are getting your hell on earth. I wish nothing but the best for Marie and you.

Willie, love the locomotives. Santa Fe all the way!

Trip to Texas. The transportation issues going down are solved. The son and his copilot/gf will fly in Thursday. We will fly to Nashville on Friday and overnight. Saturday we will fly to New Orleans as the g/f has not been there. On Monday we will fly to Austin. I will be a touch uncomfortable in the plane but much better then in the car. I would have and could handle the car drive but this is a more elegant solution. I have a vehicle there so getting around Texas will be fine. I was told though I need to leave it there. Seems someone uses it for driving his date around. That means flying home, not our usual but that is a ways off, plenty of time to change plans. That being something that we are well known for.

TomO

Ok, went to the hobby shop and got 2 bags of sculptamold. Think I may get better results. They had two bags at $10.25 and two bags at $12.95. I was only going for 1, but bought the 2 cheaper bags. Same stuff, same size bags. Waiting on a pizza place to open so I can order some pizzas as the kids are coming to get more stuff out of the house.

Terry: Continued prayers for your wife. Uti's while curable can be fatal if caught too late.

Ask and you shall receive:

View attachment 143171
View attachment 143172
The one above shows my fix with CA glue and ballast (center) vs a gorilla glue light use (left) and heavy use (right)
View attachment 143173

I'm not happy with the layer lines, but I didn't realize the extruder tension arm was loose. The pics above are about 1/4 of what I printed.

Very nice, someone has been busy :) , I think the layer lines could be painted over, , I know you go all out with anything you do, and seem slightly disappointed, but not exactly your fault is it ?

You've gone for a flat topped dry wall, so, my suggestion, (not that you asked, I know) would be some woodland scenic, add some weathering that would make them look amazing and would really bring the detail out.
Problem with modelling this type of wall, is that there are very small voids from one side to the other which I would think would be quite time consuming to be able program in, (I've never done any 3D printing, so what do I know) and their not perfectly vertical either. A dry wall is, by necessity, about half as wide again at the base than at the top.

Last edited:
Best laid plans of mice and men:
View attachment 143116
View attachment 143117
First was to "line" my river bed for the plaster mix. The second was the plaster mix 3 minutes after I got it to the proper consistancy...I did save the container.
I use fabric screen for a base, you can contour it. Then joint compound and newspaper strips. You can work with it without it getting hard in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back