On to Track Laying

Just tried soldering for the first time, might be my last lol. Watched some videos, thought I followed along well enough, but nothing good came of it…. At least I didn’t melt any ties 🙄

Just tried soldering for the first time, might be my last lol. Watched some videos, thought I followed along well enough, but nothing good came of it…. At least I didn’t melt any ties 🙄
Yeah, I know that feeling, took me day's to get it right, if the track isn't shiny the solder won't adhere properly, I also found that I was using the wrong kind of solder. (Never thought it would make a difference, but it does).

B19CD377-BF19-4F38-ABCC-D38F8CCEB4F2.jpeg
AFD31052-AD1C-4C14-B8C1-CABEF21230DF.jpeg
5C89678B-49FA-4A24-B3AC-B81C76077270.jpeg

Wanted to get track secured to gate so I can use it without worrying about jostling track…. All the joints look alright except the one circled in red, gap is a little excessive. Was thinking about a little JB Weld and filing to proper track alignment. Is there a better method to making sure this joint is good to run on?

View attachment 141475View attachment 141476View attachment 141477
Wanted to get track secured to gate so I can use it without worrying about jostling track…. All the joints look alright except the one circled in red, gap is a little excessive. Was thinking about a little JB Weld and filing to proper track alignment. Is there a better method to making sure this joint is good to run on?
I would try running some trains over it first see if it causes problems, I have similar gaps and have had no issues with them, and it gives a satisfying "clack" noise as it would at any real track join, which I quite like.

Like Smudge posted, sometimes it doesn't make a difference. I have super-glued a small piece of Evergreen styrene square rod into gaps, and then filed it smooth before. Once the track is painted (if you paint track), it is not noticeable. I personally have never used JB Weld before, but that might work if it is what I think it is, a gap-filling adhesive.

My biggest fear is wheel wear, hate to be laying track that causes excessive wear that has me replacing wheels more often than I should…. Did run a car over it, seems a smooth enough transition, definitely a clack

Looks like it’s flex track, if the gap is on the sliding rail you could pull it to close it a little.
If it’s not the slider cut a bit farther in then add a small piece of rail bigger than what you removed. You could also solder a small piece as well, and yes I used the “S” word.

My biggest fear is wheel wear, hate to be laying track that causes excessive wear that has me replacing wheels more often than I should…. Did run a car over it, seems a smooth enough transition, definitely a clack
Get a free rolling wagon and run it back and forth over the gap see what happens, if it has a severe jolt or jumps as it goes over the gap, then you'll have to do something about closing it up, (unless your track isn't level both sides) if not I can't see it being an issue.

Man was I disappointed last night, wanted to test the track over the gate with a running loco, but my EZ Command won’t turn on. Tried batteries and still no go. Guess I order a new system, wanted to anyways, but was hoping to hold off on that until I get further into the process. Oh well, crap happens, do what you gotta do. I would feel more comfortable knowing track is good to run before I permanently placed more…

Man was I disappointed last night, wanted to test the track over the gate with a running loco, but my EZ Command won’t turn on. Tried batteries and still no go. Guess I order a new system, wanted to anyways, but was hoping to hold off on that until I get further into the process. Oh well, crap happens, do what you gotta do. I would feel more comfortable knowing track is good to run before I permanently placed more…
Seems weird it just quit working. Is there a track short?

Sometimes when an electrical device does not work, I will drop it about a foot and that Sometimes works.

Otherwise, drop and kick with the foot.

Dave

Was thinking of ballasting track on and leading into gate to make certain track won’t be jostled out of place, is this a good idea or is that a little premature concerning I have a little track left to lay on other parts of the layout?

Back