Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blast and B'garn!!!

Bought some Caboose throws for my Micro Engineering C70 ladder system TOs. Got the ones with several choices of attachments to hook to various manufacturer's TO throwbars, including ME. But it does not fit. so was carefully using my pin vise to drill out the hole. I have an old TO that went kerflooey so used that for a test run. Perfectissimo!! So went live action. Thinks to myself, "I am fresh, let's do the toughest reach TO first." Hilarious results ensue.

Except not. Put pressure to the pin vise and the bloody throwbar BREAKS!! Breaks! And breaks such that the throwbar no longer holds the point rails, nuch less in gauge. The TO is now useless and must be extruded and replaced.

Well, some good news. Had to take my dau over to St. Paul for an Occupational Therapy appt. Not too far from Scale Model Supplies and they had one ME C70 RH 5B in stock, so I bought it!! So this afternoon's task is to remove the damaged one and put in the new one. I don't remember that I soldered that TO in, so should not be too bad. Reach is an issue but not undoable. I'll fill you in later.

I also picked some .032 music wire for some detail work. Will that make approx true-to-scale handrails for HO cabeese? I also need some caboose ladders - anyone know where to get those? I had the girls with me at Scale Model, so did not want to spend too much time looking, though they might and probably do, have them.

Well, some good news. Had to take my dau over to St. Paul for an Occupational Therapy appt. Not too far from Scale Model Supplies and they had one ME C70 RH 5B in stock, so I bought it!! So this afternoon's task is to remove the damaged one and put in the new one. I don't remember that I soldered that TO in, so should not be too bad. Reach is an issue but not undoable. I'll fill you in later.

I also picked some .032 music wire for some detail work. Will that make approx true-to-scale handrails for HO cabeese? I also need some caboose ladders - anyone know where to get those? I had the girls with me at Scale Model, so did not want to spend too much time looking, though they might and probably do, have them.
Ok, dumb Brit time. ME C70 RH 5B, translation please, in my defence I did google this, I got a wing mirror for a Volvo????? 🤣 🤣🤣

Afternoon All,

Started with a couple of chores then headed to the train room. I started out by adding an add-on structure that runs the length of the front office. Then I added two exterior goose neck lamps and 2 interior lamps. Tomorrow I should be attaching the freight house to the main office. It's long and narrow so I want to do that with fresh eyes and mind, so I don't screw it up. Feeling a bit better today. I had 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night and I don't think I moved an inch the entire time.

Patrick- I hope your grandson gets better soon. That is indeed a shame.

Tom- Beautiful sunset.

Guy- Thank you for the explanation and photo. I would think balsa wood would be OK if it is sealed first.

Steve- Congrats. It really sounds like you lucked out.

Chris- I think BLI has 2 weaknesses. The first is their DCC system (Paragon) and secondly their older steamers are so light that they are not good pullers on anything but flat track. I've had about 10 of their locos both steamer and diesels over the years. Every steamer except the Y6b (just bought) has had to be returned for repair. I had WOW sound put in the Y6b. As a Pennsy modeler they are the go-to for locos.

Smudge- I never thought that. When I think of terrorism I think of the Middle East. I've been to England twice and Scotland once and really enjoyed myself.

Willie- Nice scene and barn progress.

20220117_125851.jpg

20220117_125907.jpg

20220117_130014.jpg

20220117_130043.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hurry up, JAMES ... I really want to see your "ballast" results!

I need to get a life!
I can't seem to keep my eyes open past 7PM and then have been waking up at - this morning 2 AM - now three/four days in a row. I have a couple errands I need to run today, and the Spousal Unit will be showing up in a couple hours. Have to vacuum and clean up the house pronto!

OK here is a little sneak peek of the progress of the test/program track road bed.

So right now I am waiting for the glue to dry onto the board that I painted yesterday.

My process for the cork road bed is quite simple. Depending where on my layout I am going to be....I either use a grey primer or other color primer like camo tan or even a rust primer all depending the area or location on the layout. So I spray the cork and let it dry. Sometimes I have been know to use Fleckstone spray paint on top of that VERY lightly because it is not usually cheap but rather expensive. I usually find the product on clearance aisles in Walmart and snatch as many as I can when they are just a few bucks. One regular price can run like 12 bucks which is nuts. This is why I use primer 1st to stretch the colors of the base a bit if you understand my meaning. I just don't see the logic of spending a ton of money on ballast when you can use it sparingly with using some paints. I apply the same principle on hopper loads as well....ore, coal, gravel, ballast whatever. When I do my JR's Big Stones Aggregates Co. I will apply the same techniques there when I do the piles and stuff next to the conveyor machines, bins and hoppers.

Then I will wait until all is set and dry. later this evening I will post the "ballast" process using the polymeric sand. Then ya'll can be the judge!

20220117_151809.jpg
20220117_151820.jpg

OK here is a little sneak peek of the progress of the test/program track road bed.

So right now I am waiting for the glue to dry onto the board that I painted yesterday.

My process for the cork road bed is quite simple. Depending where on my layout I am going to be....I either use a grey primer or other color primer like camo tan or even a rust primer all depending the area or location on the layout. So I spray the cork and let it dry. Sometimes I have been know to use Fleckstone spray paint on top of that VERY lightly because it is not usually cheap but rather expensive. I usually find the product on clearance aisles in Walmart and snatch as many as I can when they are just a few bucks. One regular price can run like 12 bucks which is nuts. This is why I use primer 1st to stretch the colors of the base a bit if you understand my meaning. I just don't see the logic of spending a ton of money on ballast when you can use it sparingly with using some paints. I apply the same principle on hopper loads as well....ore, coal, gravel, ballast whatever. When I do my JR's Big Stones Aggregates Co. I will apply the same techniques there when I do the piles and stuff next to the conveyor machines, bins and hoppers.

Then I will wait until all is set and dry. later this evening I will post the "ballast" process using the polymeric sand. Then ya'll can be the judge!

View attachment 138954View attachment 138955
Bloody suspense is killing me here😰

Good afternoon all! A beautiful day here in Houston. Had to do a few errands so not a lot of train time.

A grandson had given me Flaherty and McCabe, a Bar Mills structure for Christmas. I was getting ready to start the build, but the box felt heavy. I looked the box over and there is no scale indicated anywhere on the box, no N or HO. I searched the kit number and sure enough it's a HO kit. So it was returned today. Further search seems to show that kit isn't available in N scale, too bad.

STAY SAFE
LATER

What is that saying, Smudge? "Politics makes for strange bedfellows" ... unfortunately Oil and Water don't mix well!
I love Louis, but we'ins on opposite sides of the aisle ...... on a few things, not all.
We are all different thank goodness, if my friends were just like me I would never get a word in edgewise, we love what we agree on,and hopefully respect others choices for the things we don’t, a little like politics,I like my sister in law but we don’t discuss politics as we are poles apart, if I read a comment I don’t agree with,but they can argue their corner, I slide past and ignore it I don’t even label the person, just tune out,until I see what I like and tune back in,life is too short to always go looking for trouble.

Idiot went back to the vehicle that almost killed him,if I was his wife I would have slapped him silly.love the farm show though,and his posh tractor which is technically too big for his farm, ours just squeezes through the door height wise, but we wanted a one tonne lift capacity,it will never see hard work,but the radio the cab the fact it sits two people is good for us, a normal bucket a 4in1,a cherry picker (earned its keep already-somebody let ivy grow up the barn because it was pretty then realised it was squeezing into small gaps then growing so big it was in danger of breaking the sheeting,so a major cutting job,the price for someone else to do it far more than the price of the cherry picker,a pallet loader,a log grabber and a wood chipper,they do make you laugh,wince,and think you silly prays lol,very entertaining,Clark is never ever going to be politically correct,still his farm may struggle to make a profit,but the filming company pays him a packet.

edit,and the lad who works for him must be a set up,no one is that daft… hope.

Good afternoon all! A beautiful day here in Houston. Had to do a few errands so not a lot of train time.

A grandson had given me Flaherty and McCabe, a Bar Mills structure for Christmas. I was getting ready to start the build, but the box felt heavy. I looked the box over and there is no scale indicated anywhere on the box, no N or HO. I searched the kit number and sure enough it's a HO kit. So it was returned today. Further search seems to show that kit isn't available in N scale, too bad.

STAY SAFE
LATER
A nice gesture though,ask his opinion on the replacement so it is one you treasure.

Steve, walk through the store to the back wall, I think it is the east end. There are tons of HO detail parts there (at scale model supply). Or, ask whoever is working may take you right over there. I bought some on ebay.

I had a great day, just about finished the table, ready to start molding the landscape and laying track. Temp got up close to 30 today!!!!

Have a good evening -- Dave LASM

Either way on the Protothrottles. I have 3 stands on the fascia around the layout. There is a finger wrap on the backside of the throttle. I always wear the lanyard in anticipation of dropping the PT. I like to move with the train so the fascia stands are used mainly as open storage.

tomo

I just looked up there Protothrottles. Wow, are they expensive. What is the draw? The "protoype" feel?

I just looked up there Protothrottles. Wow, are they expensive. What is the draw? The "protoype" feel?
Yes. It makes you feel as though you are in the cab of a diesel and operating the controls. It is a great additional tool for those who like to switch out cars on the layout. There are so many customizable choices that you can do with them. I read they are approaching 900 sold.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back