Best (easiest) way to remove Bodyshell Repaint

Smudge617

Help! some of you may know I've got a Atlas/Kato locomotive that I'm intending to renovate, the biggest issue is trying to strip the bodyshell back to it's original colour, the paint is Acrylic, but half of it has been gloss varnished with a brush and looks very obvious. Is there a way I can strip it back without damaging the original paintwork, ie can it be soaked in a solution of some kind so it gets into all those little crevices?

I used to soak my old Blue Box Athearns in DOT 4 brake fluid.
Don't use Acetone though. That will melt the plastic pretty quick and will continue even after rinsing.

Help! some of you may know I've got a Atlas/Kato locomotive that I'm intending to renovate, the biggest issue is trying to strip the bodyshell back to it's original colour, the paint is Acrylic, but half of it has been gloss varnished with a brush and looks very obvious. Is there a way I can strip it back without damaging the original paintwork, ie can it be soaked in a solution of some kind so it gets into all those little crevices?
Note:This one has all the railings you were asking after.

I have been following this thread. Where is "SMUDGE" located?
Will 'So Much Stuff' ship if it is overseas and the cost?

I use Isopropyl Acohol 91% in a 1 gallon freezer bag. I put the model in and check every 4 hours or so. When done, I take a toothbrush and brush any hard spots. Usually but not always it takes 24 hours but occasionally more. I have not ever done a Kato unit.

70% IPA is available but I only use it to only brush prime (wet) a piece of rolling stock, it helps fade the original colors

99% IPA is available but even though I have a bottle I have not used it yet.

Good luck
TomO

the biggest issue is trying to strip the bodyshell back to it's original colour,... Is there a way I can strip it back without damaging the original paintwork,
So you are not wanting to strip it to the plastic and start again. You just want to strip a top layer of paint to restore an older paint scheme underneath?

I don't think that is possible with any reasonable amount of effort.

So you are not wanting to strip it to the plastic and start again. You just want to strip a top layer of paint to restore an older paint scheme underneath?

I don't think that is possible with any reasonable amount of effort.
I've actually stripped this down to it's original Conrail Blue colour, I was only trying to remove the re-paint as it was so badly done. The inside of the bodyshell is Conrail Blue, so I'm assuming it was factory produced in that colour

Back