Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small world, JAZ! -
Story #1: My Spousal Unit's mom was a tele operator in San Fernando early 40's where she met the man who would later become her husband. He worked in a bank there and when he made calls, she was the operator ... plugging and unplugging the lines!
If he was calling another girl, she would "accidently" disconnect him, or say that the other line was OOS. She thought that he had money because he worked in the bank, but he actually he was sort of a playboy and had to borrow money from her to pay for their hotel room on their honeymoon in LaHoya. (true story)

Story #2: While I was on loan to Saudi Arabian Airlines in the 70's - we had six days off each month and would spend them out of country. Several times we were in England, but once we visited Pinewood Studios on a Sunday. There was no one there except one security person who gave us a tour of the entire place and my son (10-11) at that time got to climb all over the props used in the Star Wars movie along with the x-wing fighters, wearing the chewbacca costume, and others, headgear! I should get off my a$$ and transpose all those slides to print and computer.
If you do can we see them please.

There is or was a riding school within in their grounds, where I used to ride each Saturday morning, Sid James’ daughter of carry on fame rode there I saw her a lot her father only once and did not realise who he was as I was only about 11 years old. One time when we were out riding we were later told we had been caught on film 🎥 whilst riding along the edge and it had made the cut, but was not certain which film,and never managed to find myself of my cousin in any of the films. behind is a park known as Black Park and you can walk the fence and see filming, and a road approaching the studios would often have slow moving traffic when lorries bought in large props like cars 🚙 or p,ands or dinosaurs, and if people knew they were coming they would go out from their estates sit on the wide grass verge and wait,and the kind drivers would go mega slow as people walked along oohing and aaahing my brother saw several including a dinosaur. He was older than me and I was not allowed to go for several years.

I love youstory about your wife’s mum and dad, and Pinewood I have many fine memories of the place locals often acted as extras but I never thought to do it. I was friendly with sone air hostesses and heard sone hair rising stories, I bet you have have sone hum dingers. Perhaps not fit for publication lol

I can't wait to run this big girl.

Attachments

• R.jpeg
    R.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 83
Good Morning All. Clear and 32° here on the homestead. The usual mixed weather coming up, three more days in the upper 60's, two in the mid-40's, three more in the mid-60's, a couple in the low 50's; no rain in sight, no snow either.

I was out in the train shed for only a short time yesterday. Doctor visit set me back and it was too nice outside to ignore outdoor chores. While I completed painting the eight figures, the pictures were too blurred to use. I did start on the metal castings, but did not take any pictures of them yet.
So how about some random flat car and gondola load pictures today.

View attachment 138671
View attachment 138672View attachment 138673
View attachment 138674View attachment 138675
View attachment 138676
View attachment 138677

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and warm.

Willie,

You always have the nicest pictures and posts. That was one thing I missed while off line!

It is 27 which is super nice for us. The sun is shining and snow melting.

Tinkered in the train room after work, glueing and screwing stuff under the table. Not much excitement, but it is a job I enjoy.

More later, Dave

It got up to 38°f today in The Fort. So I went outside and assembled:
Water Hose
Shop Vac
Air compressor with spray nozzle
Leaf blower.

Any idea what I was doing?

Yep. Cleaning the furnace filters

Air cleaner filters only got the shop vac and air compressor squirt. But the Electrostatic ceramic (or whatever they're made of) system got vac'd, air squirted, hosed, then leaf blowed to get the water out. (less air compressor on the ceramic elements.

And, before that I got my first chapter of the day written, ate lunch, gave the cat his treats.

One more chapter to write, then I can fire up the grill for a burger since it's so warm. ;)

Afternoon All,

Spent most of the day in the train room painting building walls. Started out painting the walls a very thinned green and after lunch I painted the bottom wall trim. It ended up being darker than I wanted (a reddish brown to my eye). Tomorrow morning I need to run into Orlando and after that I need to decide to either add trim or give the walls a A&I coat (I prefer to do that after painting).

Thank you all for the photo likes yesterday.

Karl- Nice layout shot.

Sherrel- Great family memories. Nice 1:1 photo.

IB Ken- Thanks for the info. My roundhouse is different than yours with a raised center section.

Justin- Nice looking motive power.

Patrick- Don't worry about it. I used to be called "grumpy" by co-workers. I don't see it :rolleyes:, but oh do I dislike stupid or entitled people. Hope your wife stays healthy.

Joe- Thank you. Nice 1:1 photo. The 5 yo will probably be scarred for life.

Steve- That will be a nice scene when complete.

Willie- Very nice loads.

The green doesn't show up well in this photo.
20220112_133934.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

The 5 yo will probably be scarred for life.
Curt: That's what is so sad about this...the Mayor, actually admonished the news media present, to be kind when reporting the findings, stating that the individual will have to deal with this trauma all of his life.

Noticed the green looks like weathering on the buff wall. I imagine it looks better in person. Cameras do this, especially when you don't want them to. ;)

Smudge617: OK, what did you get????

My decoders arrived before noon.

Good Morning All. Clear and 32° here on the homestead. The usual mixed weather coming up, three more days in the upper 60's, two in the mid-40's, three more in the mid-60's, a couple in the low 50's; no rain in sight, no snow either.

Dermatologist visit yesterday was good, no repeat of the cancerous spots removed a couple of years ago. I go back in July. The rest of the full body scan was good.

As always, thanks for the likes and comments regarding my picture posts; Joe, Smudge, Tom, Justin, James, Louis, Karl, Louis, OB Ken, Tom O, Chad, Patrick, Dave, Gary, Hughie, George, Curt, Rick, IB Ken, Jaz.

I'm skipping breakfast this morning Flo, just a glass of apple cider.

I was out in the train shed for only a short time yesterday. Doctor visit set me back and it was too nice outside to ignore outdoor chores. While I completed painting the eight figures, the pictures were too blurred to use. I did start on the metal castings, but did not take any pictures of them yet.
So how about some random flat car and gondola load pictures today.

View attachment 138671
View attachment 138672View attachment 138673
View attachment 138674View attachment 138675
View attachment 138676
View attachment 138677

OB Ken - Textbooks - outrageous prices even back when I was in college in the late 60's/early 70's. I quickly learned how to avoid it when a teacher mentioned that they were all available in the reserve section of the library. Couldn't check them out of the building, but you could check them out for two hour intervals and read assignments there. Only ones that I had to purchase were those that we actually used in the classroom. Some of those I shared with my roommate since we took the same classes at different times.
Tom O - Good luck with that glucose level. Over the last two weeks, I have been running 107-110. That should allow me to have an additional beer every night.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and warm.
Thanks Willie

Glad your medical was great news

Another low blood glucose event almost this morning. Caught the downward spiral at 73 on the monitor. 4oz of OJ and only back to 90. I am carefully watching carbs but totally forgot what exercise, especially vacuuming does to me. The dietitian was wonderful yesterday. Spoke to her after the “almost” event today and she suggested that maybe my meds are too much. She also told me I have a good knowledge of how to eat, go back to doing it worry free! My diabetic snack she said is not needed except in an event. She prefers I under estimate the carbs like for one of Terry’s healthy apple muffins. While they may actually be 30 carbs count them as 25 until we know on the next baking she does.

I cleaned up the workbench again as I have a tendency to get going on more then a few projects. Now, I have to fix the programming track above the workbench. I need to plant the extrusion plant better, finish the doors and add the gutters. Check then to see if the lift out bridge to complete a loop when wanted still fits. I have not used it since before going to Paradise. The programming track is needed again as I have 5 decoders to be installed.

TomO
5C2123F6-3DCB-4CEA-809B-16F9AD6A4CA5.jpeg
C3DE0680-A9C2-400B-A507-2C05A84A26CA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back