Multiple AR1's needed for proposed DCC layout?

Ryelks86

Needing help with location and number of AR1's required for the layout I would like to complete.

I have had a few layouts previously and one that had created a revers loop at the turn table. The installation and use of the AR1 was easy to wire and install. I have torn down that layout, added a large section to the table and am now satisfied with a SCRAM design I have put together. However, the wiring may be over my head. The reverse loop is easily identifiable but will I need another or more AR1's within the layout?

The pictures are for reference. Tracks are not secured. Just laid to confirm my measurements are correct in SCRAM. I will finish the landscaping and paint prior to laying the cork roadbed and track.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 128
  • A080C8BB-E8B7-4A4A-9831-B6C6986D671C.jpeg
    A080C8BB-E8B7-4A4A-9831-B6C6986D671C.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 6A0826AA-2951-483D-A6D2-57A1DF1A363D.jpeg
    6A0826AA-2951-483D-A6D2-57A1DF1A363D.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 125
Needing help with location and number of AR1's required for the layout I would like to complete.

I have had a few layouts previously and one that had created a revers loop at the turn table. The installation and use of the AR1 was easy to wire and install. I have torn down that layout, added a large section to the table and am now satisfied with a SCRAM design I have put together. However, the wiring may be over my head. The reverse loop is easily identifiable but will I need another or more AR1's within the layout?

The pictures are for reference. Tracks are not secured. Just laid to confirm my measurements are correct in SCRAM. I will finish the landscaping and paint prior to laying the cork roadbed and track.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan
I can't help with the AR1's, never used them, but it looks an interesting layout, am I correct in thinking the loop around the back is intended to be raised? and the stub end's are for industry?, I'm no expert but it looks to be a layout that could be fun(strating) to construct and fun to run.:)

I can't help with the AR1's, never used them, but it looks an interesting layout, am I correct in thinking the loop around the back is intended to be raised? and the stub end's are for industry?, I'm no expert but it looks to be a layout that could be fun(strating) to construct and fun to run.:)
Yes, The outer loop is raised / lowered with 4% incline / decline riser sets. And the stub ends will be for industry.
1641741904865.png

I can see at least two reverse loops, the large at left, but also the inner lower loop at right with the high main running around it to the immediate east and south. You'll need at least two reversers of some kind.

I can see at least two reverse loops, the large at left, but also the inner lower loop at right with the high main running around it to the immediate east and south. You'll need at least two reversers of some kind.
I know where to add the reverser for the lower inner loop but where would you recommend the reverser for large left loop?

Well, you actually have four reversing features in this layout with three of them overlapping (see figure 1 below). If one will notice that all three of those share one section of track. So one way to tackle that is to put the reversing section on that shared piece of track. The good thing is that only one train will be arriving or departing from it at a time. The BAD part is that section could be too short to fit a whole train into which is a problem. See the yellow in figure 2 below
Another way could use only 1 auto reverser, but doing that there are five points at which a train could enter/leave at the same time which is also BAD.

I am guessing there are about 10 different ways one could do this. I don't like any of them, something wrong with each. ??!? If you could make the one diagonal track (yellow one on 2nd image) longer by taking it around the curve so a whole train could fit in would help greatly.

reversing loops.jpg

reversing loops 2.jpg

reversing loops 3.jpg

reversing loops 4.jpg

Well, you actually have four reversing features in this layout with three of them overlapping (see figure 1 below). If one will notice that all three of those share one section of track. So one way to tackle that is to put the reversing section on that shared piece of track. The good thing is that only one train will be arriving or departing from it at a time. The BAD part is that section could be too short to fit a whole train into which is a problem. See the yellow in figure 2 below
Another way could use only 1 auto reverser, but doing that there are five points at which a train could enter/leave at the same time which is also BAD.

I am guessing there are about 10 different ways one could do this. I don't like any of them, something wrong with each. ??!? If you could make the one diagonal track (yellow one on 2nd image) longer by taking it around the curve so a whole train could fit in would help greatly.

View attachment 138698

View attachment 138699

View attachment 138700
View attachment 138701
Thank you Iron Horseman, you have given some great information and thoughts. I will have to let it all rattle through my head before I decide what the most proper (and not necessarily the easiest) way to lay it out would be.

Back