Cab Roof Beacon Question

PMW

I recently bought my first engine equipped with a cab roof beacon. I thought such lights had something to do with remote control locos (must have heard or read it somewhere).

After getting this engine I looked online to get an idea when the prototype uses it...found a lot of different info which didn't clarify it for me too much.

I model modern (shortly after the turn of this century) CSX and the engine is an SD70M in case it's relevant. Any thoughts on how to use this light prototypically?

Thanks!
Paul

I don’t know a lot about it but I do know some railroads used strobes and beacons along with headlights to be seen better, Burlington Northern and Amtrak for instance.
I just picked up a BN switcher with a rotary beacon and really like it.

The beacon is used in case some folks who can't see a full size locomotive are near the track. The little beacon should capture their attention, yet, we still have people being hit by trains. I guess we will have bigger beacons in the near future.
As for models, you can put a beacon on anything you want, from switchers to road diesels. It's your railroad.

Most remote locomotives I've seen have flashing beacons on the roof and large notices on the side that say they are remote control and can move with no-one on board.

For example:

image_2021-10-15_204444.png

Or:

image_2021-10-15_205659.png

Or:
image_2021-10-15_205909.png

The sticker got a little messed up on the first one.

Some engines back in the ~1980s or so had a single rotary beacon up on the cab roof for visibility. Those beacons generally went away over time. Some Amtrak F40PH units also got pairs of strobes above the cab.

Remote control units tend to have beacons all over - both sides of the cab, and as you can see on the last CSX picture there, it also has beacons down the long hood by the radiators.

On CN's R/C yard units, they like to have flashing beacons at the cab, top of the long hood end, and down by the fuel tank on both sides.

Thanks for all the info, folks!

I'm not sure when to have my single roof top beacon on but I like it on switching in the yard or working an industry. Until I know better I guess I'm going with the "my railroad, my rules" philosophy :)

I'm not sure when to have my single roof top beacon on but I like it on switching in the yard or working an industry. Until I know better I guess I'm going with the "my railroad, my rules" philosophy

I've added beacons to locomotives that normally wouldn't be equipped with a beacon, but like PMW says, "It's my railroad, my rules". I just love beacons and the new LED's that are mounted on Rapido locomotives that have four mini-LED's in the beacon are outstanding.

Just like ditch lights that I've installed on switchers that normally wouldn't have ditch lights like a Black River SW 1200 that now has front and rear ditch lights.

1635006253305.png

Greg

In another world, a long time back -- the 'FRISCO" had beacons on their GP-35's and U-25's that were on any time the engine was running.

KEN D&J -- I like your thinking!

Thanks for all the info, folks!

I'm not sure when to have my single roof top beacon on but I like it on switching in the yard or working an industry. Until I know better I guess I'm going with the "my railroad, my rules" philosophy :)
As I understand it, yards were the most usual place to use beacons and I guess if in a private industries yard, their rules might apply. The appropriate horn/whistle signals would apply as well. 2 short to notify moving forward, 3 for reverse, 1 for stopped.

Hi, I'm a new member today.

The Des Moines Union Railroad, operating almost exclusively in/on urban streets/neighbors of Des Moines Iowa had a small yellow rotating beacon mounted on the cab roof of their S1's and NW2 in the mid-fifties. Light was to alert street traffic and neighborhood road intersections (and pedestrians) of the unit's movement in the packed downtown areas. Photos also show a front-end brakeman or flagman on the leading steps of the small switchers. I do not know the use of horn/whistle signals, but the intersection crossings were densely packed. In all that I have read, there is no mention of nigh-time operation.

Thanks, guys. I'm getting the idea of how to use it at least somewhat prototypically.

I love learning things about the prototype that I can incorporate on the layout!

Hi, I'm a new member today.

The Des Moines Union Railroad, operating almost exclusively in/on urban streets/neighbors of Des Moines Iowa had a small yellow rotating beacon mounted on the cab roof of their S1's and NW2 in the mid-fifties. Light was to alert street traffic and neighborhood road intersections (and pedestrians) of the unit's movement in the packed downtown areas. Photos also show a front-end brakeman or flagman on the leading steps of the small switchers. I do not know the use of horn/whistle signals, but the intersection crossings were densely packed. In all that I have read, there is no mention of nigh-time operation.
In crossing roadway (grade) crossings the use of that particular horn/whistle combination signal might also have applied. The use of the bell during movement as a warning is another to consider. There could be local authority ordinances that apply depending on the intensity of interaction with motor vehicle/pedestrian contact. Check out this video and others of Vic Smith's, City Edge Layout

Back