Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning we walked the dog. Today it was a 8.5 miles walk. The dogs were very happy. After that, hot chocolates and a few brioche slices. We also took some photos.

000.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

05.jpg

Hello modelers from around the globe. Wisconsin is cold at 43f/6.1c this morning. We won’t reach the 50’s today but they still claim 70’s on Tuesday. The granddaughter came down early as we are watching her this morning. Asked me if I had gone to get her donut yet. Told her she woke me up how could I have gotten donuts yet. She has not spoken to me for about 20 minutes now!

Guy, in my book this is a stunning picture. So much to see and model no matter what Road name a person models. Thanks.
3FFD9697-7B0C-448C-AFE3-EB09BD9065D8.jpeg

The weathering project continues. The testing and fixing of trackwork continues. I ran the layout in DC mode yesterday using the last 2 DC locomotives I have. Running from a fixed spot with a 12’ cord sure seems strange after running DCC wireless for years. Layout runs very well on DC. The plan was to run DCC last night after dinner out last night. My wife convinced me she had a better plan last night!!

We have the granddaughter as noted above but she has become grandma’s girl and they will be heading to the stables in a while. I will be heading to the trains. Need to test the DCC system so I can move on. Today’s big issue is removing the east side of the Paper Mill and doing clean up to the buildings. The issue is these are connected to the fiber optic lights. It will take me some time to remove each from the layout unless I had a helper but I don’t.

Enjoy the day
TomO

Good morning Everybody!

I'm finally taking the time to watch the MLB All-Star game. That will give you an idea of how far behind I am. I still have 22 Orioles games and a half dozen TV shows to watch. I had no idea my DVR could store so much!

I already did a full day's work. My wife is taking a well earned nap. I'm officially goofing off.

Boris, did you see the score from the Capitals and Rangers game? I managed to catch some of it on the radio.

Willie, ask you wife this for me, "how about them cowboys!"? Also tell her I hope she is feeling better and I'm looking forward to when the Cowboys come to Washington, December12th.

The Wizards open the season in Toronto.

MLB playoffs, NHL and the NBA, I'm about to find out just how much my DVR can hold.

The Ravens and the Washington Football Team are facing big challenges this Sunday. I'll have the Ravens game on the TV, with the sound down and the Washington game on the radio. While the Ball Park hotdogs are cooking in my hotdog steamer. As I spend the day with my wife and grandson, my own personal heaven.

Play Ball!!!

Have a great day Everybody!

I still have 22 Orioles games and a half dozen TV shows to watch.
did you see the score from the Capitals and Rangers game?
Louis:

Don't bother watching, it will just make you sick...The Orioles have become a great "development Team", not unlike the old KC A's. Their product is starring all over the league, just not in Baltimore. Time for the Angelos family to Cash Out and let new ownership run the team...

2. Caps won 5-1, Ovi had 2 goals, misses Backstrom. BTW: Mr & Mrs Ovi star in a new mass Mutual Life Insurance commercial...very cool. Caps take on Tampa Bay on 14th St, tonight at 7.

3. Tonight da Bums play Atlanta...in Atlanta...How could the team with the best record in baseball...not...have home team advantage? Since I'm cable-less, and pre-occupied watching the Caps game, maybe I can find it on radio? (yeah, I still have one too, $20 at Boscovs). Yes, there are times, when I miss having cable, mostly not though.

Boris I recorded every Orioles game and enjoyed them all, some more than others. Peter still owns the team, but no longer runs it due to his health. His son hired Mike Elias as GM and Elias has full control, except for setting the budget.
Depending on who is doing the ranking the Orioles minor league system is second - fifth in all of baseball! Having seen some of these prospects play I can tell you the birds are loaded with live arms and many great athletic position players.
Brandon Hyde deserves a contract extension! He never once pushed his pitchers too far to try and win a single game and we lost more than a few. He is developing a good nucleus of starters and you can always buy experienced relievers. The birds found a core to build on and the future is bright!
We have a future superstar switch hitting catcher I suspect you will see early next season. He swiftly powered his rise through the minors this year and he is more than solid defensively!
Cedric Mullins was the first Oriole to ever hit 30 homeruns and steal 30 bases in the same season. He is also a great center fielder, I think he deserves a gold glove. I did not see every other center fielder, but I have seen a few gold glove outfielders play for the birds.
Rookie Ryan Mountcastle hit 33 homeruns and drove in 89. He is a great athlete (former shortstop) consistent and improving first basemen. He could play anywhere, but I think the birds have him in what will be his best position at first base.
I could go on and on about the starting pitching, but I'll just say the birds have 6+ to choose from next year. All with mid to upper 90s velocity and good breaking stuff. A few are still working on change ups.
I would bet we had a lead in over half our games last year, but they limited the number of pitches the young guys threw. No minor leagues in 2019 really set back our young pitchers. 2022 will be a different story!

The Dodgers are a wild card team. The Braves won their division. The Dodgers won 106 games, but the Giants won 107 to take the NL West Pennant.

G'morning all . . . or should I say Good moaning.

Coffee Flo - - - Bacon, eggs, lots of salt, and got any bicarbonate handy? And please tell Christian to take his cheery disposition elsewhere.

The pizza party was a huge hit! Lots of fun. Wifeykins outdid herself. A friend of hers from work wanted to learn how to make pizza so came over and helped. That was a huge blessing. I never got a full count, but think it was in the 20-25 range all told. Some came and went. I think the final count was 15 pizzas made, and 14 devoured. All guys except the one cutesy-pie GF who always seems to be in tow with them. Just knowing she is in the world makes it a better place, <sigh>. Here's a few snaps"

20211015_204520.jpg

20211015_193809.jpg
20211015_212459.jpg
20211015_204511.jpg

Was great fun. Still cleaning up from the endeavor. We went through 12 bottles red, 4 white, and maybe 12 - 15 beers. Many of the guests brought wine, which was nice. Including one 2013 Nero d'Avolo which went downstairs to my cellar! We did not retire to our bed until way too close to 0200. Yeppers, 2am!

Everyone have a great day! ANd hold it down, ok? - - - Steve J

Hi

I took my weathering of pulp cars to its own thread in the weathering section. Please take a look as I need opinions please

TomOView attachment 133986
a friend moved into a new house with established plants,she had several guests over then one pointed out privately did she know what the big plant in the corner was….no she did not and one assumed neither did the previous owners or they would have removed it posthaste my friend did move it posthaste ….to her airing cupboard where she hung it upside down…and then they burned the evidence……tongue in cheek…..

G'morning all . . . or should I say Good moaning.

Coffee Flo - - - Bacon, eggs, lots of salt, and got any bicarbonate handy? And please tell Christian to take his cheery disposition elsewhere.

The pizza party was a huge hit! Lots of fun. Wifeykins outdid herself. A friend of hers from work wanted to learn how to make pizza so came over and helped. That was a huge blessing. I never got a full count, but think it was in the 20-25 range all told. Some came and went. I think the final count was 15 pizzas made, and 14 devoured. All guys except the one cutesy-pie GF who always seems to be in tow with them. Just knowing she is in the world makes it a better place, <sigh>. Here's a few snaps"

View attachment 133981
View attachment 133982View attachment 133984View attachment 133983

Was great fun. Still cleaning up from the endeavor. We went through 12 bottles red, 4 white, and maybe 12 - 15 beers. Many of the guests brought wine, which was nice. Including one 2013 Nero d'Avolo which went downstairs to my cellar! We did not retire to our bed until way too close to 0200. Yeppers, 2am!

Everyone have a great day! ANd hold it down, ok? - - - Steve J
SteveJ, looks like you have an example of companionship and good friends having a great time for a sermon for a Sunday service.

STEVE, STEVEJ hey wake up, if you can party hardy you reap the benefits or not, WAKE up.

Seriously, a good time with lots of smiles, love the looks of that pie. I think the invitations to the diner got lost in the ether! I will be in Minneapolis in March for the WCHA Women’s Hockey Championships, just a hint.

STEVE nap well
TomO

Do I spend the $250 to rebuild my four Blue Box NP F units... hm.. decisions...

(That's a full Athearn Genesis motor and drive shaft conversion)

I blew up a decoder in one on wednesday night. Not sure how. Some kind of internal short. I checked all my wiring and nothing was out of place, yet the Hennepin Overland's merciless nature claimed another DH126.

Otherwise I'm upgrading sound stuff with Scale Sound Speakers today.

Also, pro-tip/hot take. If you deem keep-alives necessary for reliable operation, you really should re-examine your problems and solutions. Keep-alives & other capacitors in your locos should be a luxury, not a necessity. I'm finding everyone's solution is to just throw capacitors at their problems. This doesn't SOLVE the problem!
(This is inspired by a conversation elsewhere, not directed at anyone here. Just rambling while I can.)

Last edited:
Good evening.

Garry: Bennett Levin, is an Engineer, who operates Juniata Terminal, which is based in the old Fair Hill Freight Station, in Philadelphia. His company is a contract repair shop for railroad equipment, including restorations for museums. Juniata owns two ex PRR E8s that were power for the Conrail Office Car train, and three private cars. PRR #120, the Pennsylvania, (Which was used in RFK's Funeral Train). The Warrior Ridge, which was a SP Tavern Lounge built for the Sunset Limited, and a 10-6 Sleeper Juniata Rapids, which I believe was also a SP Sunset car. He is also a principal, along with Wick Moorman, ex CEO of the NS, and Amtrak, of the group financing the restoration of PRR 1361, the PRR K4 in the Altoona Museum. He was also the head of Philadelphia's Department of License and Inspection. His son Eric is CMO of Conrail (Shared Assets). I have found him and his wife to be charming people.

Joe .... That is interesting information . Thank you for sharing it.

Guy .... You are doing a good deed by getting rid of other people's masks. I have heard about small animals getting entangled in them, and that is not good. I like the CN locomotives in your pictures.

Christian ... I enjoy photos of your morning walks. By any chance, do you live near a railroad track. It would be nice to see some French trains.

Steve J ..... Wow! That pizza looks good ! It's probably better than what we get from gas stations here. LOL

Everybody ...... Have a good evening.

Last edited:
Yesterday was spent working on my SIL's shed. I got the last 5 (1" x 12") vertical wall boards cut and drilled 3 nail holes in each end.
They are now stacked where air can flow around all sides to dry them enough to paint with one coat of primer,
Once the boards are installed, I can start cutting and drying about 73 of the 1" x 3" battens. All this is rough cut pine and there are some 3/8" gaps from warped boards that the battens will cover.

I went down to the club room this morning and glued down some more detail parts on the On30 layout. After placing several O scale people, I scrounged through some spare HO scale people to use as children on the layout,
I found 6 figures already painted and glued them in place. I brought several more figures home to paint and use on the layout later.

After I got home, I found a Nucor house trailer that I had painted two-tone blue and white several months ago. When Willie posted his pictures of his trailer scenes, I knew it was time to finish the project.
I am waiting for some glue and paint to dry. I plan to post a picture tomorrow to see what you think.
Have a good night!

Do I spend the $250 to rebuild my four Blue Box NP F units... hm.. decisions...
Cedric Mullins was the first Oriole to ever hit 30 homeruns and steal 30 bases in the same season. He is also a great center fielder, I think he deserves a gold glove. I did not see every other center fielder, but I have seen a few gold glove outfielders play for the birds.
Rookie Ryan Mountcastle hit 33 homeruns and drove in 89. He is a great athlete (former shortstop) consistent and improving first basemen. He could play anywhere, but I think the birds have him in what will be his best position at first base.

The Dodgers are a wild card team.

Steve: Is that per unit...or for the whole consist? Reminder, BB Fs motors need to be isolated from the frame, regardless of what you use. Not for nothing, if the cost is $250 total, for 4 units, it's worth it. Street price on sound equipped Genesis f units is what between $250-$300 a piece? Half the fun of the hobby, is doing things your self.

Louis: I forgot you bleed Oriole Orange blood. Seriously though, What happens to Mullins and Mountcastle when they have to pay them to build their team around? Do they stay or do they go elsewhere...Like anywhere else, it's about the money. Mad Max and Trey Turner will hopefully get another World Series Ring with the Bums this year, they went at the deadline because the Nationals were dumping salary...Angelos doesn't pay more tan entry level, he doesn't have to dump salary...he dumps players.

Yeah, I know da Bums were a wild card team this year...bit they won the WC, then beat da Gi'nts in the Divisional, so they have the most wins. Shame that isn't considered since we are doing WC (Which I think comes under the Quest for More Money category. ;) Also, I don't like the Atlanta Baseball Team.

Today, wasn't one of our best, lotta stress, induced by things beyond our control. Hopefully, Tomorrow will be better. Did get a few things done in the trainroom

Any advice on setting up a VPN? Everything we have dates back to around 2016 or earlier, W10, Android, IOS and Sansumg TV. working off the House WIFI.

Steve: Is that per unit...or for the whole consist? Reminder, BB Fs motors need to be isolated from the frame, regardless of what you use. Not for nothing, if the cost is $250 total, for 4 units, it's worth it. Street price on sound equipped Genesis f units is what between $250-$300 a piece? Half the fun of the hobby, is doing things your self.
That's parts only for me to do the work on the whole bunch, yes. They are all four of slightly different vintage and not all the motors perform the same. They could really use the driveshaft upgrade to kill some of the unwanted noise.

Good morning Everybody!

Boris, you make great point, Dodgers won 106 games. Twenty more than the Braves, 86.

If the fans comeback to Camden yards, the budget will increase, I hope!

Got to run, I need to get a full days work done before the Ravens game and I slept late.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning. It's clear and 46.
My laptop installed Windows 11 yesterday. It's been a learning curve. My first impression is, it's faster than Windows 10, and seems relatively stable. I didn't like the fact it forced me to use my Microsoft account to turn it on, and I turned that off as soon as everything finished loading.
I'll give y'all a more detailed report after I've used it for a while.

Good morning. It's clear and 46.
My laptop installed Windows 11 yesterday. It's been a learning curve. My first impression is, it's faster than Windows 10, and seems relatively stable. I didn't like the fact it forced me to use my Microsoft account to turn it on, and I turned that off as soon as everything finished loading.
I'll give y'all a more detailed report after I've used it for a while.
Did you prompt it to install, or did it just install itself?

Did you prompt it to install, or did it just install itself?
It was part of Windows update. My wife "says" she didn't touch it to get it to install. I had left it on, sitting on my desk, and when I woke it up from sleeping, it was asking me for my Microsoft credentials to finish up. Since I wasn't around it during the initial phase of the upgrade, I can't say with 100% certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back