Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from a chilled So. Central Wisconsin. It is 58f/14.4c degrees but the wind chill numbers are back at 49/9.4. Heading to the low 60’s. Rain possible around 10am and then on/off till midnight.

We are going to try to beat the rain at the Farmers Market this morning. Terry wants another batch of zucchini and yellow squash to chop up, shred and freeze for her zucchini cakes later in the year.

Terry was amazed by the dynamic between the faraway county vet and our vet regarding the 6 rescue horses. Seems there was some history between the 2 and Terry said it showed and then they both realized they were there to help the horses. The 2 she found out later had been engaged but then broke it off.

Gotta go

90 minutes roughly later I am back. We did beat the rain. It started about 10 minute after we got home at 10:05am. Raining hard right now.

Horses, the Vets both want to try another 3 days hoping for improvement and if not, the faraway County vet will put them down. The other 4 are doing ok and thankfully we don’t have to pay the Veterinarian bills on these 6. Our vet is here again this morning, well actually every morning but she is checking out the 6 specifically. Over the years Terry and the vet have lost quite a few rescues but it’s because they get them here to late…

Trains, I am not enjoying the weathering project. Wheels, axles, trucks and couplers are fine. Sides of cars, not too sure off. Along with the pulp cars I am playing with a gondola, here it is:
746EBB2D-69ED-4B33-85E8-71B47E389FCA.jpeg
D822FC5D-DD6E-4F89-A25D-2C6B7A12F02F.jpeg

I don’t like the sides but when I did them they seemed fine. Give me honest opinions, I can handle it, maybe. No,seriously help!

Christian, your pictures of the French countryside are just awesome. Thanks for sharing those.

Willie, besides weight loss, should you be drinking the beer? Whenever I have one it just destroys my daily numbers for days. I know we all react differently to the foods we eat so just wondering definitely not judging. Especially since you are closer to you goals then I am to mine. For Terry and me we need to eat more at home then out.

Sherrel and Willie, chair discussions are kind of funny to me. MY chair is approaching 12 years old and Terry pronounced it dead maybe 4 years ago. It is sort of like those comfy jeans that should be long gone. Maybe soon…

sports, like voting I don’t care who you do or don’t root for, just do it! I went off of sports a few years ago because the owners were complaining of costs and this after one of them purchased a $350 million boat. Politics were evident on and around the field. I can make my own voting mistakes, thank you. Millionaire players feeling they were treated WORST then slaves. Plus, the talking heads announcing the games wouldn’t shut up. owners saying the players made too much, well who was the one paying the player? The NFL player making a normal play a 7th grader could make celebrating like he won the lottery. Soccer players complaining one gender makes more then the other. Check ticket sales on that one. I never did stop watching NHL hockey but have stopped watching the pre-game and intermission shows. Last NFL season I did watch some Packers again and just a little more this year. Both the transition from fanatic with NFL season tickets in Green Bay, Chicago and Arizona (for business) and Terry’s 4 tickets inherited from her dad was tough. I loved the game. Trying to go back is tough and made harder by many of the above complaints still going on. But, if you do or don’t enjoy sports, I respect your decision.

trains, I will be in the train room quite a bit today.

all clear ahead
3CE3CDDE-05E5-4B54-8F5E-F7570031927B.jpeg

08FB96A0-E90D-40E8-95BB-8F9BA11F0973.jpeg

TomO

Morning all,

Between the weather radio going off and the robo phone calls from the city system informing me of various watches and warnings in another county, I didn't get much sleep last night. Weather radio I was expecting, but the city I work for in a different county, doesn't concern me so much when I am trying to sleep. If it involves me having to go in, they'll call me. Just being an old grouch I guess.

Storms actually hit about 3ish this morning and about 4:00a at my house. We got about 1/2" of rain, and about 60 mph winds as the front came through.

I need a lot of coffee this morning and break room is still out of order for remodeling. The contractor recommended by Menard's just doesn't seem to want to work, and has left it a shambles. He was sent a legal notice that he has until Friday to complete the room. They have had a couple of other contractors in to give quotes to finish the job. Menard's, of course, has nothing to do with contractor's work efforts as he's an independent contractor. I'm glad he's not working on my house.

Oh well, work beckons...BBL
Well at least this morning you weren’t shot. How’s the arm

TomO

Afternoon All,

Dad's fancy bed was delivered today and his room is put back together. I ordered several grade crossings from Blair Line for the current project. I realized that a couple of the road sides needed adjusted so I managed that today. Thursday thru Saturday I'm busy with family stuff.

Ken- Hope you get the new job.

Willie- Nice recliner.

Christian- Interesting farm scenes. The electrical building is something different from here.

TomO- Nice heavy weathering. I'm with you about pro sports.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Evening all! The weather wasn't to bad, sun in and out, humid and muggy. It was grocery shopping day so made it out to the stores.

Started working on adding 4 more cars to index cards. That will give me 12 cars that will need to be switched during a session. Should take just over an hour and 15 minutes to move all the cars.

1634167426702.png

STAY SAFE

LATER

asked if I had a fondness for VWs I had a look, yeah I think I might :D
View attachment 133794View attachment 133795View attachment 133796
Good Morning All. Cloudy and muggy at 78°, the rain is coming, maybe. I'll know around 10:00 am. I don't know if we'll get the 2+" that's predicted, the line of showers is moving quite rapidly right now. Anything will be welcome. It doesn't appear to be a cold front, just a line of showers from the NW. No wind shift is predicted.
I spent a few hours yesterday morning assembling a recliner for my wife to use during her immobile period prior to getting the real replacement knee in a couple of months.
View attachment 133831
The damn thing came in two boxes, the box with the base weighed 94 pounds and the rest weighed 33 pounds. The FedEx man left them on the ground next to the porch. I cannot believe that he, at maybe 150 pounds, carried the heavy box 45' from the truck without using a dolly! I had to get them up and into the living room for assembly, however I didn't attempt to lift, I rolled and slid the heavy box. Four basic heavy parts with a bunch of wiring connections to make. OK, this thing is a deluxe recliner, it has double cup holders as you can see, and two pockets for her variety of remotes (3), note pad, phones (2) and tablet. An additional tethered remote controls a six mode massager and a two step lumbar heater. The recliner control both reclines and ejects the user slowly. It raises up and leans forward to assist handicapped or elderly users getting out, all electrically, no manual control. Maybe I have been living under a rock and never realized that these things could be so deluxe. I'm impressed, but I don't believe that the upholstery will last too many years. I could easily sleep in it.
Earlier in the day, the home health care nurse came by and drew blood and did her consulting. As a result of last week's blood draw, no change was made in the infusion medication and we received a new shipment yesterday. This stuff is shipped in a heavy duty two cubic foot Styrofoam cooler with four really nice reusable ice packs to keep it cool. I could keep four cases of beer in each one comfortably. Good for the next picnic!;) Meanwhile my wife is still just taking half of the prescribed pain medication.

Maybe just a bowl of corn flakes and milk this morning Flo. Raisin toast and OJ to complete the breakfast.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the layout progress from yesterday; Sherrel, Jaz, Steve J, Patrick, James, Chad, Christian, Joe, Hughie, Garry, Curt, Rick, Ken.

So what did I do in the train shed yesterday? Basically I just added four styrene braces to the walls to assist in fastening them to one another.
View attachment 133832
The red paint on the backside of the wall on the right is my test shot to see if I liked the color. I'm excited that wall assembly is coming next...it seems like it's taken a long time!
And because I always like to work ahead, I started on assembly of the overhead lighting fixtures that I will use later in assembly'
View attachment 133833
There are 12 of them, all assembled now. Since there are just seven dock doors and three people doors, I'll have two left over for other projects. I'll be painting them when I get back to the crates today or tomorrow.

Tom O - Sad to read about the rescue horses, good luck with that.
I can sympathize regarding the diabetes. I developed it just two years ago, but right now I can control it with just 1000mg of the Metformin only; and diet. Like Hughie, I could most likely get past it if I lost some more weight and watched the diet just a little bit better. My glucose level is almost always 125 or lower.
Sherrel - Too bad about your kids plight. And to think, the jab is free! Other than medical or religious reasons, I feel that 11 months is surely a long enough time to determine that there are no real problems with the vaccine.
Hughie - I am a firm believer in Dr. Fung's philosophy regarding treatment of the causes not the symptoms. I look at the Metformin right now as a temporary aid until I can better treat the causes. I am constantly at odds with my doctor regarding treatment of a variety of issues. He just believes in prescribing medication rather than resolving causes. I am the opposite and I have to draw him out extensively to find workable solutions. Twenty more pounds of loss is my goal right now. That would also help with the blood pressure which is slowly dropping as well.
Curt - Continued good luck with your Dad's situation. It does look like finality may be soon. I am currently going through the "available time" situation myself, very happily though. My wife's health is more important right now. Once the new knee joint is installed, things will improve rapidly. I am looking forward to her being able to keep up with me when we're walking together.
Patrick - I realize that you cannot ditch the phone, even overnight; but that's why I refused to get a cell while I was still working. I still use it as an alarm clock more than I use it as a phone! It spends 22 hours a day on my computer desk.
My daughter is having the same issues with her remodeling contractor. So far her bathroom remodel has taken nine weeks. He shows up for a couple of hours twice a week, while juggling several other jobs at the same time. At the current rate, it will be six more weeks if she's lucky.

Lots of things being commemorated today. It is the Navy's Birthday. It is also National No Bra Day! I celebrate every day on that one. I will be observing as much as possible. It is also National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day, although I think it is meant for school kids to have lunch with their parents in the school cafeteria.

Everybody have a great day. By the way, where is Karl?
one beer holder yeah but two!

House update. While it rained the last few days, today was partly sunny until early afternoon then it clouded up but never really rained. Was in the mid to upper 40s tops. My son and I spent an hour putting the last few pieces of foam on layer 3 and putting in the T-straps on the T-sections (total of 2x T that were left). That was the hour he had. We were late getting up there for our lunch hour 60-120 min of work as my middle school daughter had early release so I had to leave to get her at 12:30 instead of 2:30. We went up a bit after I got back but he couldn't spend a lot of time (hour tops) as he had to do his afternoon routine to get ready for his UPS job.

After taking my daughter to her swim team practice, I did an errand and went back up to the house. The wife was home from work so she came too. She helped me start placing whole piece of rebar (#4 x2) on the 10" wide sections that could take a whole 20' piece. I didn't want to cut any rebar so I just placed whole 20' sections where I could. She had to leave to get the daughter from swim team practice and I stayed and started placing more #5 (single) rebar whole lengths on the 8" wide sections that were long enough for whole 20' lengths. Last week the son and I had also made a bunch of 90 deg bends with #4 and #5 bar so I also used those we had already to put in corners where I had the long pieces terminating so it would be complete. I then started placing foam blocks starting in one corner and got about 50-60' length in two directions from the same corner placed. We still need to make sure they are hooked in by hitting them with our rubber mallets and then put clips to hold the pieces together, but we'll need a ladder to do that as those places with this 4th layer are now taller than us. They are not so tall that we couldn't pull down hard on them to get most of the sections to latch together, but we still need to make sure and put the clips on. But we've started the 4th layer. There are a few places that will still take a complete 20' rebar piece (like 2 or 3 more can be placed) and then we'll need to measure and cut lengths. We still have a bunch of #5 90 degree bends for corner but are out of the #4 90 deg bends so we'll have to make more of those as well. Tomorrow is supposed to be "frozen mix", ie cold and wet, so I probably won't get out on it tomorrow at all (I also have to finish up some tax stuff due Oct 15 so need to take tomorrow, Thursday, for that anyway since it will be cold and wet). Friday and the next 10 days are supposed to be sunny or partly sunny, with highs anywhere from 52F to 66F. So Friday I will try and take a 1/2 day off from work to get stuff done and I'll have all day Saturday.

I need to start putting up the heavy bracing with built in scaffolding. These are heavy duty braces that hold the wall up (mostly for when you pour and to support the poured wall until you put the floor joists in etc) and they also have built-in scaffolding arms etc. The block distributor rents it and I have to arrange a crane to get the 4 crates (each about 1700 lbs) off the trailer and into the hole. So not sure when I'll have the scaffolding but we'll use ladders and stuff, even if it is slow going, to finish level 4 and start level 5 until we get the stuff delivered.

Here are some pics. Excuse them for being rather dark -- it was dusk and we had just finished with the block placement for our level 4 start... The missing section near the corner is because we have to reach the 8' long 18" high block section up over the UFER ground rebar piece sticking up and I can't do that alone and the wife is not tall enough to help me me -- two old people can't do it. My son and I or all three of us will get that done...

IMG_5033.jpegIMG_5035.jpegIMG_5030.jpeg

House update. While it rained the last few days, today was partly sunny until early afternoon then it clouded up but never really rained. Was in the mid to upper 40s tops. My son and I spent an hour putting the last few pieces of foam on layer 3 and putting in the T-straps on the T-sections (total of 2x T that were left). That was the hour he had. We were late getting up there for our lunch hour 60-120 min of work as my middle school daughter had early release so I had to leave to get her at 12:30 instead of 2:30. We went up a bit after I got back but he couldn't spend a lot of time (hour tops) as he had to do his afternoon routine to get ready for his UPS job.

After taking my daughter to her swim team practice, I did an errand and went back up to the house. The wife was home from work so she came too. She helped me start placing whole piece of rebar (#4 x2) on the 10" wide sections that could take a whole 20' piece. I didn't want to cut any rebar so I just placed whole 20' sections where I could. She had to leave to get the daughter from swim team practice and I stayed and started placing more #5 (single) rebar whole lengths on the 8" wide sections that were long enough for whole 20' lengths. Last week the son and I had also made a bunch of 90 deg bends with #4 and #5 bar so I also used those we had already to put in corners where I had the long pieces terminating so it would be complete. I then started placing foam blocks starting in one corner and got about 50-60' length in two directions from the same corner placed. We still need to make sure they are hooked in by hitting them with our rubber mallets and then put clips to hold the pieces together, but we'll need a ladder to do that as those places with this 4th layer are now taller than us. They are not so tall that we couldn't pull down hard on them to get most of the sections to latch together, but we still need to make sure and put the clips on. But we've started the 4th layer. There are a few places that will still take a complete 20' rebar piece (like 2 or 3 more can be placed) and then we'll need to measure and cut lengths. We still have a bunch of #5 90 degree bends for corner but are out of the #4 90 deg bends so we'll have to make more of those as well. Tomorrow is supposed to be "frozen mix", ie cold and wet, so I probably won't get out on it tomorrow at all (I also have to finish up some tax stuff due Oct 15 so need to take tomorrow, Thursday, for that anyway since it will be cold and wet). Friday and the next 10 days are supposed to be sunny or partly sunny, with highs anywhere from 52F to 66F. So Friday I will try and take a 1/2 day off from work to get stuff done and I'll have all day Saturday.

I need to start putting up the heavy bracing with built in scaffolding. These are heavy duty braces that hold the wall up (mostly for when you pour and to support the poured wall until you put the floor joists in etc) and they also have built-in scaffolding arms etc. The block distributor rents it and I have to arrange a crane to get the 4 crates (each about 1700 lbs) off the trailer and into the hole. So not sure when I'll have the scaffolding but we'll use ladders and stuff, even if it is slow going, to finish level 4 and start level 5 until we get the stuff delivered.

Here are some pics. Excuse them for being rather dark -- it was dusk and we had just finished with the block placement for our level 4 start... The missing section near the corner is because we have to reach the 8' long 18" high block section up over the UFER ground rebar piece sticking up and I can't do that alone and the wife is not tall enough to help me me -- two old people can't do it. My son and I or all three of us will get that done...

View attachment 133863View attachment 133862View attachment 133861

lots of great work there. You will be so proud when you enclose it all down the road

TomO

TomO: looks like a car that's been out on the road for a while. Prior to the graffiti era, most cars looked flat, not heavily rusted or decrepit. Depends on the service the car is used for. Some gondolas are gouged, or have hole burnt in to the sides, or patches, with varying visible rust and grime, plus dunnage inside. Others just have road dust and grime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back