Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan was two separate indian nations going back to BC era. Borders came about after several wars between the tribes and later with Europeans. With the advent of nuke weapons and the Big Mac bridge, all parties are content, thus the invention of the auto industry in Detroit along with the even more complex inner city slums.
The UP should have dictated where they wanted to be when Sawyer Air Force base was still operational. With all the nukes in those B-52 bombers who would have said no to them. Now, it’s just a big regional airport with veryyyyy long runways.

TomO

Christian! I certainly hope that you don't strain yourself building that complicated track plan! 😁😁

TomO - Just what the Country needs with more States; just think of all the politicians, lawyers, judges, lobbyists, and yadda. yaddas to follow along.

CHAD -- Go build a house! LMAO .... I'll tell you the score of the "stick-ball" later - LOL!
I do have a baseball past in my blood; When I was 15 YO, I played on a VFW baseball team from Bossier City, LA. I played Center Field - Our team had players from AR, LA, TX, and MS. We WON the National Championship in Hershy, PA, that year beating out teams from Japan, Panama, Hawaii, and Taiwan. I will agree with you that most all of sports figures today are paid way too much - it has made the game impossible for an average family to enjoy with the cost of admission.

Christian! I certainly hope that you don't strain yourself building that complicated track plan! 😁😁

TomO - Just what the Country needs with more States; just think of all the politicians, lawyers, judges, lobbyists, and yadda. yaddas to follow along.

CHAD -- Go build a house! LMAO .... I'll tell you the score of the "stick-ball" later - LOL!
I do have a baseball past in my blood; When I was 15 YO, I played on a VFW baseball team from Bossier City, LA. I played Center Field - Our team had players from AR, LA, TX, and MS. We WON the National Championship in Hershy, PA, that year beating out teams from Japan, Panama, Hawaii, and Taiwan. I will agree with you that most all of sports figures today are paid way too much - it has made the game impossible for an average family to enjoy with the cost of admission.

I'm not against baseball (or other sports per se) -- just against the over paid man-children buffoons you see on TV :) Especially the ones that think they are our betters and their opinions are worth more...

Playing the game yourself (any game -- baseball, basketball, hockey, etc) is a lot of fun. And your local city teams, college teams, etc are also fun to watch and cheer for.

And I know others like to watch sports -- which is fine with me. Each gets the same 24 hours a day and can take advantage of it (or not) to their best ability and desires.

--

House -- this is not the latest pic but close to it (this is from Saturday's work -- taken Sunday). Yesterday I was out in the rain a few hours and got all the missing short pieces installed, the long wall you partially see upper right installed, and about 1/3-1/2 of the missing pieces in the right / lower right done. "installed" means the 3rd later blocks to match the rest of it. Earlier in the day yesterday, before it started raining, my son and I had gotten out and installed some special T intersection support straps on a place we had missed and on some of the new 3rd layer T intersections. Hopefully today (cold -- 37F) my son and I will get a few more T intersection straps installed on this 3rd layer. I need to get some special bracing rented and delivered that also has scaffolding built in as the 4th layer will be easier with it and the higher layers require it...

IMG_5024.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Today was all about Dad. Some of it successful and some of it not. Too tired now to even look at the train room. Tomorrow his bed (sleep number) is being delivered to the house in the afternoon and Thursday I have a routine ultrasound of my Abdominal Aorta at VA, and of course more blood work.

Joe- Yes there is a crown created by cork roadbed. I have a MRR friend locally that does his stuff this way. Since my previous attempts look like crap I figured I'd give it a try. At worst I rip it out. Very nice box car.

Steve- I'm glad the club is doing well.

Willie- Everything looks good. I was stopped almost completely in February because of Mom and it has continued with Dad. If we can get him out of the other house completely I'll have more available time.

TomO- Nice layout shot.

Sherrel- I wanted to try a different idea on the road and crossings because I wasn't happy with my previous attempts.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I played and or managed/coached sports for over 40 years. Mostly baseball, but also football, basketball and wrestling. I loved almost every minute of it. I would still be managing youth baseball if not for my doctors recommendations. I thank God I can still enjoy sports, through my over priced premium cable and on my over priced big screen TV. I even enjoy it on my $10 transistor radio!

Sports teaches young people many valuable lessons for life. Learning to compete is a priceless lesson. Wining builds confidence, losing builds character. Baseball is especially good at teaching humility. Learning to overcome failure is also priceless.

Young people need to see the best professionals in the world. Of course some professional athletes are morons. The world has morons in every profession and in every aspect of life. Learning to identify and ignore morons is another priceless lesson.

Young people can also learn a lot about life playing board games, modeling and other hobbies, even video games. But sports makes it possible, even fun to learn how to overcome physical exhaustion.

When you are among the best in the world at anything, get paid all you can because it will not last for long.

Something I doubt is said very often in any profession, "no thank you, that is too much."

"Whatever the market will bear", that is capitalism.

In addition to enjoying sports, playing board games with my family, and other things, I love to play with my overpriced toy trains.

I believe our level of maturity can better be measured by how we treat others, not so much in how we spend our free time.

Have a good night Everybody!

Last edited:
Good evening. Has anybody tried browsing model trains on our favorite auction site today? The entire category seems to have been consolidated and lumped together into "Model Trains". Any attempt to narrow the search at all causes the entire thing to just go away.
I've tried this on multiple platforms and browsers.

Good evening. Has anybody tried browsing model trains on our favorite auction site today? The entire category seems to have been consolidated and lumped together into "Model Trains". Any attempt to narrow the search at all causes the entire thing to just go away.
I've tried this on multiple platforms and browsers.
Terry

are you talking about EBay? I just went there and typed in HO Scale freight cars and they popped right up.

Tom

just think of all the politicians, lawyers, judges, lobbyists, and yadda. yaddas to follow along.
Especially the ones that think they are our betters and their opinions are worth more...
Sherrel: They gotta find more work...need to pay off student loans o_O In their haste, they forgot The Virgin Islands and Guam...WTF o_O How 'bout splitting Jersey, as the two halves never agree on anything...o_O

Chad:
That applies to all who have celebrity status!
Learning to identify and ignore morons is another priceless lesson.
I believe our level of maturity can better be measured by how we treat others
Bingo - dingo! Louis, you nailed it! Could not have said it better myself

Watched first game of the NHL season, Tampa bay was sluggish, Pittsburgh was hungry...and no Sidney or Malkin. ESPN is back broadcasting NHL Hockey after 17 yrs. Good job so far, Telecast similar to TSN in format.

Good morning all! 49 degrees heading up to 76 today with a chance of rain. I'm scheduled for a short day today, just 6 hours. That's the thing with the blue store; they have zero clue how to schedule employees in a way that isn't an aggravation. The short days are nice, but you pay for them by working extra long days and wind up working 6 to 10 days in a row sometimes. I like the work, but I'm ready to go somewhere else where I don't feel like the store is my life.

Fortunately, I have a job interview today for a work from home job for a well known company. If I get the job, I'll get to work right here and stop spending 5 hours worth of pay every week to fill up my gas tank. I'll also get to stop walking my diabetic feet on the concrete for 6 to 8 miles a day. I'll miss my work friends, but it'll be nice to feel like I have a life outside the blue store again.

Went to our model railroad club meeting last night. Small turnout after having huge turnouts the last two meetings. Two meetings ago, Scale Trains paid us a visit on their road trip tour and that was great. Found out last night that one of our original members has leukemia, so hoping things go well for him. He's an amazing modeler and a good guy to boot.

We always have "show and tell" at the meetings. The current club president brought in his new Scale Trains Rivet Counter N scale locomotive and an older HO scale Athearn Indiana Rail Road CF-7 he just bought. I have the CF-7 and it's a neat little engine.

Time to get ready to destroy my feet a little more on the concrete at work. Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Morning all,

Between the weather radio going off and the robo phone calls from the city system informing me of various watches and warnings in another county, I didn't get much sleep last night. Weather radio I was expecting, but the city I work for in a different county, doesn't concern me so much when I am trying to sleep. If it involves me having to go in, they'll call me. Just being an old grouch I guess.

Storms actually hit about 3ish this morning and about 4:00a at my house. We got about 1/2" of rain, and about 60 mph winds as the front came through.

I need a lot of coffee this morning and break room is still out of order for remodeling. The contractor recommended by Menard's just doesn't seem to want to work, and has left it a shambles. He was sent a legal notice that he has until Friday to complete the room. They have had a couple of other contractors in to give quotes to finish the job. Menard's, of course, has nothing to do with contractor's work efforts as he's an independent contractor. I'm glad he's not working on my house.

Oh well, work beckons...BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy and muggy at 78°, the rain is coming, maybe. I'll know around 10:00 am. I don't know if we'll get the 2+" that's predicted, the line of showers is moving quite rapidly right now. Anything will be welcome. It doesn't appear to be a cold front, just a line of showers from the NW. No wind shift is predicted.
I spent a few hours yesterday morning assembling a recliner for my wife to use during her immobile period prior to getting the real replacement knee in a couple of months.
IMG_7910.JPG

The damn thing came in two boxes, the box with the base weighed 94 pounds and the rest weighed 33 pounds. The FedEx man left them on the ground next to the porch. I cannot believe that he, at maybe 150 pounds, carried the heavy box 45' from the truck without using a dolly! I had to get them up and into the living room for assembly, however I didn't attempt to lift, I rolled and slid the heavy box. Four basic heavy parts with a bunch of wiring connections to make. OK, this thing is a deluxe recliner, it has double cup holders as you can see, and two pockets for her variety of remotes (3), note pad, phones (2) and tablet. An additional tethered remote controls a six mode massager and a two step lumbar heater. The recliner control both reclines and ejects the user slowly. It raises up and leans forward to assist handicapped or elderly users getting out, all electrically, no manual control. Maybe I have been living under a rock and never realized that these things could be so deluxe. I'm impressed, but I don't believe that the upholstery will last too many years. I could easily sleep in it.
Earlier in the day, the home health care nurse came by and drew blood and did her consulting. As a result of last week's blood draw, no change was made in the infusion medication and we received a new shipment yesterday. This stuff is shipped in a heavy duty two cubic foot Styrofoam cooler with four really nice reusable ice packs to keep it cool. I could keep four cases of beer in each one comfortably. Good for the next picnic!;) Meanwhile my wife is still just taking half of the prescribed pain medication.

Maybe just a bowl of corn flakes and milk this morning Flo. Raisin toast and OJ to complete the breakfast.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the layout progress from yesterday; Sherrel, Jaz, Steve J, Patrick, James, Chad, Christian, Joe, Hughie, Garry, Curt, Rick, Ken.

So what did I do in the train shed yesterday? Basically I just added four styrene braces to the walls to assist in fastening them to one another.
IMG_7912.JPG

The red paint on the backside of the wall on the right is my test shot to see if I liked the color. I'm excited that wall assembly is coming next...it seems like it's taken a long time!
And because I always like to work ahead, I started on assembly of the overhead lighting fixtures that I will use later in assembly'
IMG_7911.JPG

There are 12 of them, all assembled now. Since there are just seven dock doors and three people doors, I'll have two left over for other projects. I'll be painting them when I get back to the crates today or tomorrow.

Tom O - Sad to read about the rescue horses, good luck with that.
I can sympathize regarding the diabetes. I developed it just two years ago, but right now I can control it with just 1000mg of the Metformin only; and diet. Like Hughie, I could most likely get past it if I lost some more weight and watched the diet just a little bit better. My glucose level is almost always 125 or lower.
Sherrel - Too bad about your kids plight. And to think, the jab is free! Other than medical or religious reasons, I feel that 11 months is surely a long enough time to determine that there are no real problems with the vaccine.
Hughie - I am a firm believer in Dr. Fung's philosophy regarding treatment of the causes not the symptoms. I look at the Metformin right now as a temporary aid until I can better treat the causes. I am constantly at odds with my doctor regarding treatment of a variety of issues. He just believes in prescribing medication rather than resolving causes. I am the opposite and I have to draw him out extensively to find workable solutions. Twenty more pounds of loss is my goal right now. That would also help with the blood pressure which is slowly dropping as well.
Curt - Continued good luck with your Dad's situation. It does look like finality may be soon. I am currently going through the "available time" situation myself, very happily though. My wife's health is more important right now. Once the new knee joint is installed, things will improve rapidly. I am looking forward to her being able to keep up with me when we're walking together.
Patrick - I realize that you cannot ditch the phone, even overnight; but that's why I refused to get a cell while I was still working. I still use it as an alarm clock more than I use it as a phone! It spends 22 hours a day on my computer desk.
My daughter is having the same issues with her remodeling contractor. So far her bathroom remodel has taken nine weeks. He shows up for a couple of hours twice a week, while juggling several other jobs at the same time. At the current rate, it will be six more weeks if she's lucky.

Lots of things being commemorated today. It is the Navy's Birthday. It is also National No Bra Day! I celebrate every day on that one. I will be observing as much as possible. It is also National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day, although I think it is meant for school kids to have lunch with their parents in the school cafeteria.

Everybody have a great day. By the way, where is Karl?

Sherrel - Too bad about your kids plight. And to think, the jab is free! Other than medical or religious reasons, I feel that 11 months is surely a long enough time to determine that there are no real problems with the vaccine.

Actually, the longer it goes the more problems we find with the vaccines (there are 3, one of which is not mRNA based, and one of which has just been banned from Nordic countries [Moderna]). But not trying to create a discussion on this forum about it. There is plenty of info (from actual peer reviewed studies as well as from other observations by actual medical and science professionals) out there for those interested.

Morning from here where it is a chilly 44 degrees - we are looking at a high of 71 later under bright sunny skies.
Nothing much to report that is earth shattering ... I am using the "MAC" to send this to you - I am becoming more used to the PAD - just cannot remember yet how to do a lot of things.

I have winning pups already this morning, so will be back when I quite them down with their morning treats.
Willie - The Spousal Unit's chair is not quite as fancy as the one there you have for Arlene, however, she winds up sleeping in it more than she does in her own bed, or with me and three pups in the big bedroom ... BOO!

Everyone have a great day - BBL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back