Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy early Wednesday morning. I just finished up diagnosing two patients on my workbench. These were custom painted for my club long ago, but have been hiding in our basement until lately.

The Blue Box F7A needs a rebuild and DCC. The E8 needs a shell swap onto a spare P2K chassis I have. Gonna be fun getting these old soldiers back into service.

IMG_20210915_000626362.jpg IMG_20210915_000745893.jpg

Morning all,

Not much going on yet today, I actually have time for a western omelet with bacon and a cuppa.

Feeling tons better this morning. I really think it was the shingles shot. Never really had any reactions to shots before, but these last 2 big ones (covid and shingles) really kicked my butt. Now if I can figure out why I have horns growing out of my head...LOL

James: Sorry to hear of your friends passing and it is very nice that you remember your aunt.

Sherrel: Even with the rodent chews, you're probably better off with the RV you have. Sorry to hear your kids think only of their freedoms and not the responsibility that comes with those freedoms, but we're in a society today that thinks that way.

I was going to make a few comments, but decided again it! I just basically think that it is an individual thing and I look at it this way -- Personally, I and my wife are vaxed, my 50 and 56 y/o kids are really agin it ... thats their choice. However half my wife's kids are and half arenot. She not want them anywhere near her mother who already has breathing problems.
But there is no pressure either way - except having to listen to my son who thinks we are all crazy and giving up "FREEDOM" by the shot.
I really don't understand the mindset of the anti-vaxers. They and all of their kids had to have vaccines to go to school, and the Covid vaccine has been around long enough to show that it isn't harmful and does work for the most part. People dying all around doesn't seem to make any difference. And then there are folks like my SIL and her husband who refused to get vaccines, got Covid and got over it without hospitalization, which unfortunately reinforces their beliefs. The growing isolation and the fear of the unknown should be enough to scare more into getting the jab.

I really don't understand the mindset of the anti-vaxers. They and all of their kids had to have vaccines to go to school, and the Covid vaccine has been around long enough to show that it isn't harmful and does work for the most part. People dying all around doesn't seem to make any difference. And then there are folks like my SIL and her husband who refused to get vaccines, got Covid and got over it without hospitalization, which unfortunately reinforces their beliefs. The growing isolation and the fear of the unknown should be enough to scare more into getting the jab.

**************W A R N I N G***************

***************RANT FOLLOWS [read at risk of offense]******************

I struggle with this, too. Some of you may recall, my wife is CEO of an Ambulatory Surgery Center. Her big parent company has been teasing with the mandate of vaccines, but have not yet done so. So the other night, I asked her: "What's the big deal? C'mon, ballpark, how many of your nurses and techs aren't vaccinated?"

I was floored when she said probably 60 - 75%. And I'm in Minnesnowta, which is a very blue, progressive state!! SHe is hearing that Critical access hospitals, the small ones that serve rural and small communities around the country, are making noises that if the vaccine is mandated, they face having to close for staff who will quit. And here we were led to believe that the medical community, who got first access to the vaccine, were queing up like Soviets for Wonderbread to get the vaccy. Turns out there is quite a push-back WITHIN THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY!!

My big problem is this whole 'Executive Order' thing. Uncle Sugar wants a vaccine mandate? Fine, do it the way Truman did and have the nads and put in the time to get COngress to pass a law. Crikey, they pass hundreds of new laws each and every year. I really think the SCOTUS must find that this whole executive order thing is unconstitutional as it is the executive branch usurping the power of the legislative. These executive orders have been getting more and more intrusive with each passing (R or D) administration. For example, the Bathroom mandate done by a lame duck president. For or against the issue, I don't care, but every American who has taken Civics should be in the streets. We were founded in response to (no offense Jazz) 'executive orders' intruding into the life of our citizens. It's just not the way our constitution is set up. Read the flippin' Federalist papers, for goodness' sake. !!

Thanks, I feel marginally better. --------Steve J

Good Morning Everybody. Clear and 64° around here. The air was much clearer last night as I could see stars for the first time in a couple of weeks. Still waiting to see some rain though, last measurable rain here was the 3.75" on August 18-19. Leaves are dropping from trees due to drought instead of dropping due to cold.
It appears that my wife's second cataract surgery was also a success, she was released with two eyes. Have to head in to see the doctor for the "morning after" exam at 8:45 this morning. It's too soon for her to tell the difference as her eye was still dilated last night. I'm ready for this stuff to be over, but we'll repeat soon as I go for the same procedure in the near future. I went 68 years without needing glasses, except readers, and I still wouldn't have them except the drivers license people made me get them. I really cannot tell the difference when I have them on.

Thanks for the comments and reactions regarding my latest small project; Steve J, Chad, Tom O, Rick, Garry, Christian, Hughie, Patrick, Sherrel, Karl, Tom.

Sausage, biscuits and southern cream gravy along with a pair of poached eggs this morning Flo. No toast but a double OJ to wash it down.

I made some progress on the small scene in Charlottesville yesterday. I cut out and glued the asphalt roadway in place and added road striping.
IMG_7694.JPG

Over on the workbench, I didn't take any pictures, but I assembled and painted about 100 scale feet of Bar Mills Insta-Fence to go here also. I also selected a couple of smaller than scale pictures of structures to add to the backdrop to make it look like the scene goes beyond the wall there. We'll see how that works.

Tom O - Does the "old" refer to taking the wrong trail, or the effects of the extended walk? ;)
I remember when my wife got a new phone free whenever she changed cell service providers! Not any more!
Garry - Excellent scenes as usual yesterday.
James - Sorry to read of your friend's passing. That was a nice tribute to your aunt.
Mikey - If you read this, good luck with the rains from Nicholas. I see where they are battering the whole state of Alabama.

I see that today is Yom Kipper for anyone of the Jewish persuasion. Unfortunately if you observe it, you won't be able to partake in National Double Cheeseburger Day, which is also observed today.
So that is all for now. Everyone have a great day and stay safe.

Wife and I got the vacine. There are a LOT of voices telling you all different information. Who do you believe? The Johnson and Johnson was pulled, and the way our government handled it was shady at best. What we were looking for was answers, but what we got was opinons. Life here in the USA sucks sometimes.

Mike

Last edited:
On to fun topics: RR-ing!

I have been having a blast with my Yard. Making up and breaking up trains is cool, and somewhat therapeutic in this whole topsy-turvy COVID world. Here's a pic of a train that I was able to make up with switching moves
20210914_091706.jpg

Pulling is my CN 4-4-1000 from Bowser. Love that loco. Way to the right you can see three other locos. A Walthers EMD SW-1; A BLI Plymouth 0-6-0; and a Bachmann Porter 0-6-0T. That is close, but not quite all my current inventory of rolling stock. I have discovered that I have two cars with plastic couplers and hence are not affected by the magnet uncouplers in the yard ladder tracks. Got to replace those. If you look close, you can see the shadow produced by the 4-4-1000 reverse light. That Bowser has nice bright lights - wonder if they are LED or incandescent?

Anyway, having fun which is the point, right?

Tonight I have no meetings!!!! So have already announced to HER that it will be a train projects night. Unless she goes out and buys that Sexy Train Engineer Lingerie costume, she better just steel herself to alone time tonight. Got lots to do. Electronic work - going over and fixing rough spots (mainly my feeder solders) and much else.

I still think my plan is to fine tune the yard before starting the main oval construction.

I'll get time Friday and Saturday. Friday I have to cancel golf, which kills me in the fall. The weather is fantastic, and the days are numbered here in 'snowta. But expecting the install crew for the new refrigerator sometime that day. Plumber came in to install the new dishwasher yesterday. He kinda tried to put a halt by saying that the old dishwasher was 'irremovable,' but with my coaxing and help, he got it out. I guess my honey-ish personality worked its charm, because after he brought in the new one, he pointed out to me that there was a sizable dent in the top. I reached in and sure enough, the dent was very noticeable inside the tub. So customer refused damaged goods (the blasted thing cost $1300 - - - I ain't taking a busted one!). So new one to be delivered Sat Sept 25. So hand-washing until the Monday or Tuesday following that. SHE is not happy, but at least this time not at me! The HD manager will be getting an earful soon.

Well that's about all. Busy day until about 4pm and then TRAIN TIME!! -------Steve J

Well after the Steve J rant I am not sure how to react. I have learned to seriously not take anything the media says as truth and I most certainly don’t believe any politician in office longer then 6 MONTHS. Sad. Moderators, please don’t delete the rant!

Covid, is running wild again all because folks won’t cover up or vaccinate. I will have to look it up but how were polio vaccinations, smallpox and measles vaccinations handled in the 50’s and 60’s? I remember getting the shots and waiting in line at school. I remember traveling maybe 6 miles to get our polio shots.

682,000 deaths in 18 months. Can’t ignore that number just in the USA.

Willie, Old, because of the wrong trail. The extra 1.5 miles was fine. Terry says she travels that trail with the horses but let me have my wrong way. The SIL said yesterday when Terry told the wrong way story that he thought we needed signage at trail intersections

James, I can’t image the pain that 9/11 brings to your family

SteveJ, a flat tax and term limits would cure many ills

Enjoy the day
TomO

Good Morning all! Well 2 extra large lawn trash bags full of limbs and twigs, and about 350 pine cones later the place is looking better. The yards are soft and very muddy. All in all if you have to have a hurricane this was one to pick, at least for us. Some others were not so fortunate as Nicholas passed by them.
Didn't see any train time yesterday.

James - my condolences
Steve-J - A good rant. My contribution to your rant is the media and politician only speak of percentages. You don't usually get the numbers behind those percentages.
TomO - flat tax & term limits, but guess who would have to put that on the ballot for us subjects voters.
Willie -nice addition. Place could be called Hernando's Hideaway (1954 Archie Bleyer) since it looks hidden behind the store on the right.

STAY SAFE

LATER

I was going to make a few comments, but decided again it! I just basically think that it is an individual thing and I look at it this way -- Personally, I and my wife are vaxed, my 50 and 56 y/o kids are really agin it ... thats their choice. However half my wife's kids are and half arenot. She not want them anywhere near her mother who already has breathing problems.
But there is no pressure either way - except having to listen to my son who thinks we are all crazy and giving up "FREEDOM" by the shot.
Sherrel: Yesterday, My Doctor and I had a long conversation about Booster Covid Shots...meanwhile, others are fighting the whole concept of vaxing...WTF?

A former co-worker sent me an advisory, about a fellow who hired on the NS in North Jersey after I left Conrail for Amtrak. He started as a Conductor, and rose to Trainmaster. More recently, he has been assigned to Atlanta, GA. He died of Covid, at age 45, leaving a wife and five kids. He opposed the vaccination, and obviously didn't get one. He exercised his freedom of choice, and made the wrong decision...so what is he, a martyr for the cause of Freedom, or a poor schmuck?

I exercised my right to choose and chose the vaccine...I guess that makes me a Sellout...or so I have been told.

Thought: Perhaps it's time all of us stopped listening to our respective political pundits, and took some time to think about ourselves, and how our actions affect others, both inside our families and outside in the word. The pundits get paid quite well to stir up our respective righteous indignation. In some cases the medical treatment necessitated by Covid, costs us money. Bet all the pundits got their shots.

James: Sorry for your loss.

I am not sure how to react. I have learned to seriously not take anything the media says as truth and I most certainly don’t believe any politician in office longer then 6 MONTHS.
Tom O: Not for nothing, what bothers me is when they run stories from a year ago, as if they were current. TV and the Internet are notorious for that. There are no trusted sources, just outlets designed to tell each faction what they want to hear.

I’ve decided to not elaborate on everything “extra” going on right now. It just sounds whiny, or turns political.
If anyone on this forum has a need to "rant" about anything - I would consider that person to be YOU!
Go ahead - the remainder of us really don't mind your mussing?
682,000 deaths in 18 months. Can’t ignore that number just in the USA.
TomO - It's the way they were either reported, or not reported that has miscrewed everything up!
And the general mistrust of the Government!

Joe, I don’t think you’re a sellout. I think you made the best choice for you and your health, which only you can do.
I made the choice to wait until the vaccines were approved by the FDA, then made an appointment for the series of shots. There are other things going on at my house right now, and everything has suddenly come to a head.

Afternoon All,

Started out painting the upstairs bedroom (was grandkids bedroom). Then we went to Lowes and bought a tall toilet for the downstairs bathroom (for Dad). Tomorrow it's clean out the garage so the furniture from the painted bedroom can go there, then Kathy's sewing room (will be Dad's bedroom) can be moved to the upstairs bedroom which will allow Dad to move in here. Friday I'm delivering a large roll top desk to a location about 50 minutes away. If that's not enough we have a contractor coming in tomorrow. The good news is it will be over NLT 1 Nov (when Dad's lease ends).

Terry- I am very sorry for your family.

Garry- Excellent scene and engine room detailing.

Joe- Both my Dad and wife have pre-existing respiratory issues so the vaccine was a no brainer.

James- I am very sorry for your loss. That day changed the world and not for the better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back