Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarryCBQ

Joe ...... I'm glad to hear you were okay in the storm. I like the WM first generation locomotives in your picture.

Willie .... I have several buildings I made from Campbell kits for my previous layout. I found place for several of them on my current layout.

Lee. .... I like the pictures, but can't figure out what sort of train is behind the CP and UP GE locomotives.

Guy .... Your photos of the CN bridge and train are great.

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
As far as trucks, they are all getting larger. The 2nd Gen Colorado\Canyon twins are almost the same size as a square body C10 (1973-1987 Chevrolet\GMC).
Exactly my perception as well.
Anyway, here is the pics. I can't decide which one I like the most, but, I leaning toward the 2nd shot:
I like the first shot best - how's that!
Many moons ago, I built a small H0/00 scale layout (2'x4'). I used very old Fleischmann track sections (40 years old, maybe more). The curves radius is very tight: 10" ! I'm planning to rebuild it
That's a neat looking layout - really cool!
It's 07:27 AM in France, cloudy and only 16°C (60°F). Unfortunately, Today is a very very sad day for the USA and for the rest of the free world.
I'm a bit confused as to why you would delete this post -- LOL, I'm going to take away your delete button!
We are making improvements to the homestead, and actively de-cluttering it. We are also working toward a resolution of the MIL's issues. I have also been working on the railroad.
We all have been wondering as to not hearing from you? Glad your OK, That WM photo reminds me of Frisco lash ups with everything left in the yard hooked together? Great photo as is the ship too! A tanker taking a torpedo and living to talk about it!

LEE - I will say again that I really like your "O" layout!

On another note - After getting everything working again and cleaning everything out of the RV -- The prospective buyer backed out. So Spousal Unit and I are planning a road trip again! I'm OK and she is lamenting the fact that she still has payments to make.

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
OAN - It's been HOTTER than HADES during the afternoons around here -- No clouds, just intense blistering sunshine!
Supposed to hit 100 again today - it has been "bumping" that number all the past week.

As TomO said, I witnessed many of the things he listed there-Radio and TV. I wasn't quite yet around at the bombing of Pearl Harbor, but thinking back - I have really seen a lot in my life - including hauling troops to and fro the Gulf War and bringing some home from Vietnam (to a sickening homecoming)

TrucTrain55

Joe ...... I'm glad to hear you were okay in the storm. I like the WM first generation locomotives in your picture.

Willie .... I have several buildings I made from Campbell kits for my previous layout. I found place for several of them on my current layout.

Lee. .... I like the pictures, but can't figure out what sort of train is behind the CP and UP GE locomotives.

Guy .... Your photos of the CN bridge and train are great.

Garry it’s a Ballast train. It was hard to see it. I think the Blue thing in the middle is a Ballast Regulator

Last edited:

Jaz avalley

Station cat
Good morning. I am still in the kitchen ending my fast after visiting the Clinic this morning. Everything is pretty good and except for the recent weight gain as the vitals are in the normal range. Gained 27#’s and now weigh 207 after a difficult journey to lose weight, now to do it again. Need to again stick to a exercise scheme and beg my wife to slow down on baking. 3 months to gain 27# when it took 18 months to lose 63. Doctor laughed though she said she’ll bet 90% of her patients have have gained 20#’s or more in the Pandemic. She was extremely happy with my results. She deleted one prescription and reduced 2 others. My Endro is in India till Xmas so the GP looked at my lab results on the diabetes, A1C is at 6.3.

Trains, nothing done yesterday but the plan was today to finish off the trucks on the rolling stock for weathering. A possible LHS run as he is celebrating 17 years with 30% off everything (normal is 20%) except Athearn new stock. I have been looking at some Summitt modern buildings for years now, maybe…

The kids have an offer on their house as do their best friends and neighbors. They will be moving into our house and then Terry with a bit of input from me will decide what we do next. Our place at our age is ridiculously too big. The best friends already purchased a piece of property from us and the foundation is in for that. They also are building an earth sheltered home.

Trains, the layout will stay for the grandkids and me as it doesn’t interfere in any other room. The slot tracks will be given to 2 of the Boys and Girls clubs in Dane County. I have promised the SIL that he and I will build a bigger and better one but no more then 3 lanes this time. He wants 5 lanes but in my mind that takes away from the realness of the track, but I could narrow down the lanes except around the start finish line or the front stretch.

We have 6 apartment complexes left and had a fight with the new attorney yesterday. He didn’t think I was selling to employees the right way, way too cheap since we do the financing. Finally Terry told him yesterday in her office that if he couldn’t work with us we can find another attorney. We have been selling to employees for years now as we don’t keep buildings after 8 years. We always give them 1st chance. If he doesn’t have the contracts our way next Tuesday he will be done. Our attorney we used for 40 years retired in July. Goofy lawyers know everything.

Covid, the grandkids results are in, negative and went back to school this morning. But school now wants them tested weekly for the next 30 days. The SIL showed positive and was heading to the Clinic for a noon appointment in full PPE gear. We are so relieved about the grandkids and the SIL has no symptoms but tested positive. The daughter is negative and would like to stay that way.

I think you can tell I am pretty relieved about things today and doing catch up on my things. Thanks for reading the ramblings and enjoy your day

TomO
He wants you to push for every penny so that he can get a cut I daresay

Jaz avalley

Station cat
Howdy .....

Joe ..... I'm concerned you might be unable to post because of Hurricane Ida affecting where you live a few days ago. I hope you and your family are okay.

Thanks, everybody, for the likes and comments for my post with picture of an SD7 on a bridge. The backdrop actually is two of them. The top part with blue sky and clouds is Faller. The lower part with hills is Walthers which has a light color sky which I mostly cut off. The area between backdrops is where I painted my own sky which is mostly clouds.

Mikey .... I know what you mean.

Tom O .... Actually, I lost about 30 pounds over the past two years. Maybe, I'm part of the 10% who did not gain weight during the pandemic.

Everybody ........ Have a nice evening
Same here due to the Covid we looked at our pantry which was already prepped for Brexit and thought hmmm, and decided we could diet, and count calories, in fact we still buy takeaways etc as we gauged what was a reasonable portion by whether our weight went up or down, a good investment was a weighing scales and an app that kept count …the app won’t lie….yes it stares you in the face and tells ho w it is, it also won’t say if you bum looks fat in those clothes, but bu heck it will say if it looks fatter…big incentive, I lost 2 stone so year almost 30 pounds a little faster than you, but I am trying to go slower as I need my skin to keep up and not end up like a saggy couch, my l end my bum good but arms hand a bit….having to exercise them, and amazingly if you watch it carefully no reason to be hungry…although at first I did chew chewing gum when the calories ran out, and I saved the last 50 calories in the day for a chunk of chocolate. I eat loads of pickled veg, loads of fruit, plenty of meat, cereal is ok, but if I am honest I miss fresh home made bread and cake, but I cannot control myself and slap on too much butter so avoid the temptation, a treat every other week or so other I avoid flour. I do stuff loads of salami which is mega high but also full of flavour and works with low cal ham and turkey and pickles.bbq homemade honey,molasses,tomato sauce has been of the menu, but a certain someone reminds me just how great it is, and I actually think yum yum and as no smell no temptation.

Jaz avalley

Station cat
Good morning.
Today marls the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the US.
It was so horrific even here in the UK the news was full of it,it was everywhere,you see stuff happen in lots of countries, but USA it was shocking! 2 years earlier I would likely have had workmates over there on business, but I could not bring myself to ring my old company and ask that just seemed gross.
Years befor a work friend was in South America São Paulo when the city was hit by a massive mud slide the phones were off line for three days and it was five days before he and a colleague were able to call in they had been visiting a potential site out of the city with a manager when it all went off the guy took them to his home until they could get in touch with the company, and we got a message saying he was alive I was in the reception when it happened and there were cheers in the building on three floors. He was a couple of y ears later promoted to a pretty senior position (we worked in the headquarters of a multinational company listed on the stock exchange) but at the time the manager was given a big reward for looking out for them and keeping them safe. There hotel apparently did fall foul of the mudslide, he and the other guy came home with the clothes on their back pretty much as buying new stuff was out of the question.
FYI it was 1980s lI looked it up and can find 2 floods but not mudslide, maybe his mudslide was part of the flooding.They we’re cut off not able to get through on the road so either the mud or water makes sense,he lost his suitcase with the damage and I am sure it was at his hotel near the city.

CHRlSTIAN

Happy to be here !
CHRlSTIAN said:
It's 07:27 AM in France, cloudy and only 16°C (60°F). Unfortunately, Today is a very very sad day for the USA and for the rest of the free world.
I'm a bit confused as to why you would delete this post -- LOL, I'm going to take away your delete button!
I deleted it because I have absolutely no right to talk about 9/11. I will never forget that day and I definitely hate all those f****** terrorists. That's all !

TrucTrain55

I deleted it because I have absolutely no right to talk about 9/11. I will never forget that day and I definitely hate all those f****** terrorists. That's all !
Me too your “Delete” button is gone. As Americans our Hearts go out to the European nations that went through a lot during WWII and suffered so much you have every right to return the favor when America was struck on our own land just like yours during WWII. So don’t think you have no right to talk about what our Country suffered that day.

Last edited:

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Very early in the morning, or extremely late Friday night if you want to go that way. Happy to say my module track and trestle glued down well. Looking forward to finishing the wiring so I can fire it up!

Liquid Nails for the track, Gorilla Glue wood glue for the trestle bents.

View attachment 132262
And just like that, my bents have ground around them. While the last of my foam putty dries up here through the day, I hope to start connecting the wiring tonight.

IMG_20210911_112232265.jpg

I don't dwell much on 9/11, because my adolescent brain wasn't in the right place to fully grasp what was going on. That said, I think tomorrow my AFT 4449 deserves to roll. You know, for some color. Maybe 1977 Amtrak Steam Special?

206628387_255128873079652_1074698505401336119_n.jpg 770426-01.jpg

GarryCBQ

Another Cambell kit building moved to my current layout from the old one is the shed in the foreground in this picture. Other buildings in the photo are the CO-OP grain elevator and shed next to it which I scratch built just for this scene. The stock pens are from Walthers, and the corrugated steel office building behind was an old Suydam kit I put together for this scene.

48266286236_5512fe6cea_k.jpg

Boris

Beach Bum
My question, 2 Covid tests in the Doctors office and no one checked her lungs??!!
Tom: Not surprised...everything is singularly focused on Covid...nothing else matters.

My thoughts on 9/11, Twenty Years later:
The Soldier I once was, mourns my fellow soldiers who were lost at the Pentagon, and the subsequent attempts to civilize and punish those responsible.
The Firefighter I once was mourns my brothers and sisters in the Fire Service who willingly walked into the Gates of Hell to do their duty to serve and rescue the citizens working inside the towers.
The Railroader I once was, who was working 89 miles Southwest of Hudson Terminal when the first building collapsed, and witnessed what momentarily appeared to be the whole world come, to a stop. Not even sure that I would be able to get home to my family that night.
The Father of a Soldier and a Marine, and their endless deployments to the Middle East during the subsequent years.
The old man I am, I remember how everyone come together, in the days following 9/11 and how our enemies and detractors doubled down to divide us. And how we now are now unwilling to treat each other in a civil manner.

e-44s at JC 1980.jpg

Warner rails

Another Cambell kit building moved to my current layout from the old one is the shed in the foreground in this picture. Other buildings in the photo are the CO-OP grain elevator and shed next to it which I scratch built just for this scene. The stock pens are from Walthers, and the corrugated steel office building behind was an old Suydam kit I put together for this scene.

48266286236_5512fe6cea_k.jpg
This is great. How did you do that rock face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.