Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Gang!
Starting at 57 this morning and looking for a 79 high with bright sunny. I was helping the neighbor last evening load some outdoor furniture he has been building from glass crate wood. It was downright cold with a good Westerly wind blowing and an almost misty, foggy clouds. I dug the electric heater out of the closet - did not want to build a fire in the place for a fire.

Still working a little out in the garage. I should just call a trash hauling business and get rid of it all. There is not more than a few hundred $ of value in the whole place. The scrap cutoff wood is most likely the most valuable stuff out there! I will load all the sacks of clothes from the Spousal Unit's closet and 3-4 large boxes of "stuff" that she has decided that we don't need - most which has not even been looked at for 10-20 years! About the only real compliant that I have against my spouse is that she can keep the economy humming all by herself! Trust me - Amazon Prime is NOT my friend right up there with Macy's and Krol's.

FLO - good morning to you. Just a short stack with a double side of bacon ... and a large coffee today!
Yawl have fun!

Good morning global modelers from the deck in So. Central Wisconsin. It is a nice 76f degrees with 72% humidity but with a gorgeous 2-5mph breeze. The breeze is what we have been missing the last couple of days. High in mid 90’s later today.

Terry, glad your wife has her new machine

Karl, we have a section of road here in Wisconsin that every time I drive it the windshield gets caked with bugs guts and the grill on the car is full. No fun.

Patrick, scuba gear to fix the leak?

GeeTee, not surprising about the electric bills. During the pandemic we weren’t allowed to evict our non paying renters. We offered all sorts of things for those who couldn’t pay. We did beg though that if they left to please empty the refrigerator. When some students just left in April of 2020 they left a mess in the refrigerators and some even turned them off. Had to hire a crew to clean out refrigerators and one company did so using semi hazmat suit. I never want to see a Covid type thing ever happen again. Lots of renter stories that could fill a book, but…

Garry, I really like the pictures of the cars but that trackwork, is awesome

Willie, I subscribe to 9 (yep) FaceBook buy/sell train groups. Yesterday, I found a few pulpwood cars and asked if still available. Guy got back said no he was waiting for a response to buy the lot of cars. Told him if deal falls through to let me know I would buy the pulp wood cars. Found a few more on another site and enquired if still available after being listed for around 3 hours. No, the guy said, waiting for the money to come through. Around 5 last night the 1st one messaged if I want them they r mine, he had waited 72 hours and the guy who wanted the lot wasn’t responding. Purchased 2 pulpwood cars for $30 shipped. Then the other guy contacted me and said I could buy his 4 for $65 shipped. I thanked both guys and purchased them and replied back adding a picture of my Paper Mill.
They both responded with hey do you need any wood chip hoppers. I picked up 12 last night @13.00 each including shipping. So thank you for your offer to look at train shows for me. I am no kidding when I say I have been trying for 2 years to add more wood chip hoppers.

unloading picture of truck trailers, the 1st time I saw this in person was passing the Mosinee Mill in Wisconsin. I wasn’t sure what I saw from the road. Later that week I saw it again and it took a bit to figure out what I was seeing, if there is no truck unloading you can’t seethe equipment. Later I got a tour of the facility but no pictures were ever allowed on the Mosinee Papers campus. I have read stories of drivers staying in the cab during the lift or in one case the driver’s 10 year old in the sleeper bed of the cab.

enjoy your day
TomO
1A5F5570-743D-436A-A9B9-78C646B6B928.jpeg

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a lot warmer at 77° with a humidity level of 89% - muggy. The humidity will drop to 50% by noon, but will continue to be high every morning until the ground dries out some more. I already have the AC on this morning!
True to my expectations, I was able to pick a pair of yellow squash yesterday from the garden. A bunch more will follow. I also picked another 8 pounds of green beans that I will pressure can today and tomorrow. Guess what's for dinner tonight? Speaking of food, my wife will make the grocery/beer trek solo today, so I can devote attention to the pool preparedness and food preservation. Not a lot of groceries are needed since I have a fridge full of beans, asparagus, broccoli and now squash, as well as a bin of newly harvested onions. Now you know why I haven't had a lot of modeling time lately. The peak will be next week, as the garlic will be harvested and the tomatoes should start to turn red. Then the beans will begin to succumb to the heat.

Hash-browns and bacon for me this morning Flo. Make it apple juice today.

Thanks for all of the likes for the non-photo post yesterday.

Once again I had limited time in the train shed yesterday. I am continuing to work on the little details for the country mart.
IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG
IMG_6551.JPG

And here's one of the addition with the camera strap in the way!
IMG_6553.JPG

I am also toying around with the structure arrangement in the area.
IMG_6555 (2).JPG

I have added that feed store that I did earlier this year to the scene.
IMG_6556.JPG

This is by no means final; I have some other possible structures to add as well.

Sherrel -
You have me sitting here trying to remember the first escalator that I "stepped on"?
Remember the good old days when we as kids were allowed to play on and walk the opposite way on escalators? Moms would leave their kids there unattended, while they shopped for lingerie.
Guy - I take no offense at anything posted here in the Coffee Shop. I realize that there is a lot of good-natured kidding among us. Just like your penchant for replacing stuff that doesn't need replacing.
Steve -
Willie - I imagine you do keep a nice stock of parts. A 12.5 mile run is enough to be detrimental.
That 12.5 miles is just one way, I still have to return. I keep a running list of stuff that I can pick up when I have to make an unexpected trip. Yesterday in addition to the hose clamp that I didn't have a spare, I picked up the parts to repair the extension cord that I ran over with the mower the other day, and went by the post office for a couple of books of stamps.
Patrick - When I have leaks in the pool liner that I cannot fix, they're always in the bottom, I have a man who specializes in leak repair come out. He don's scuba gear and examines he entire bottom. In your case it may be cheaper to drain and replace the liner if you cannot find it yourself. I can fix them if I can find them.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning all! Another hot and humid day on tap. I had a bowl of Grape-Nuts this morning. Retired you have the time needed to eat Grape-Nuts.
As forecasted, nothing got done on the Majestic Hardware project and sadly today isn't looking to promising.

Hey, does anyone know who Pete is, and why we do things for his sake?

STAY SAFE
LATER

During the pandemic we weren’t allowed to evict our non paying renters.

They still haven't allowed evictions here the last I heard , thats probably next. Some of the cities did manage to pass "no camping" bans . I don't think the financial markets have realized how much unsecured debt thats built up over the last year . 10 to 20 % of the city could be living on the streets next week !

Mike, I would not have allowed DC Everest! Just kidding, sort of. Brian played for Mosinee from 1999 to 2002, 3 year lettermen including as a freshmen. Had to quit the 2003 season as he had too many concussions. The daughter played HS hockey for Mosinee from 1998 to 2000 and went to play on scholarship at UW Eau Claire till 2002 switching to UW Madison when she realized playing hockey would have been for 4 years but graduating was on a 6 or 7 year plan.

I was president of the Mosinee Hockey Association from 1995 to 2002. I was prez when we rebuilt and enclosed the rink building, re-did the boards, glass, zamboni and the roof.

I love the game and Terry especially loves Women’s Hockey. I thought Central and Northern Wisconsin were hot beds of hockey! Madison and it’s suburban hockey teams and fans are 3 times as crazy for youth and High School hockey. It’s also very much more expensive down here and they have no incentive for helping those who can’t but want to play. Mosinee Youth Hockey always had 3-4 kids in the program that got help. Not down here!

Pavelski and Caufield are products of the St. Point youth program and High Schools.

TomO
Yeah, I knew that Pavelski went to SPASH(& grew up in Plover- big sign on CTH B, right before Taco Bell). Didn’t know where Cole was from, just knew that he was from Central WI.

They still haven't allowed evictions here the last I heard , thats probably next. Some of the cities did manage to pass "no camping" bans . I don't think the financial markets have realized how much unsecured debt thats built up over the last year . 10 to 20 % of the city could be living on the streets next week !
GeeTee
I think when they release the eviction holds the BANKS are going to go crazy. They are itching to evict and open those residential properties to new buyers. The demand for housing is the highest it’s been in history in many locales of the USA.

I said last year and will say again today. The stock market is not the indicator of the strength of the USA economy no matter who you have voted for in the past or will in the future. So many of the daughters friends have been reduced to one income because of Covid and child care. It is a mess that will get worse. As I stated last week, many of the son’s friends in Austin, Texas with kids ran home to mommy and daddy when Covid hit and their jobs disappeared.

TomO

So many of the daughters friends have been reduced to one income
what is it a sign of if both parents have to work to make ends meet.? & one check barely covers kid care? !
On another note, is it just me, but is MLB the only pro sport where the over paid athletes are allowed to wear their multiple million dollar necklaces while playing? AT least tuck them inside the jersey, not flaunt them over the jersey. I thought most sports required *jewellery* to be not worn while playing.

what is it a sign of if both parents have to work to make ends meet.? & one check barely covers kid care? !
On another note, is it just me, but is MLB the only pro sport where the over paid athletes are allowed to wear their multiple million dollar necklaces while playing? AT least tuck them inside the jersey, not flaunt them over the jersey. I thought most sports required *jewellery* to be not worn while playing.

I have seen some of the NFL wide receivers and defensive backs wearing chains during games. I always thought that jewelers couldn’t be warn too, but that would stop the freedom of expression or some other nonsense.

We had quite a few parents who worked 2 jobs just so one could pay the childcare and insurance costs. Glad I am retired and don’t have to worry about stuff like that anymore.

TomO

Good evening gang,

Just wondering, has anyone seen or heard from Jerome (wheeler1963) lately? His last post was in late January, and I haven't heard a peep since.
A&P1207c.JPG
20191221_222239.jpg

For anyone unfamiliar, these 2 locos are good examples of his work, living in my basement (excuse the crappy photography)

I've read Great Expectations, and I wasn't that impressed.

Nytol!

Good evening gang,

Just wondering, has anyone seen or heard from Jerome (wheeler1963) lately? His last post was in late January, and I haven't heard a peep since.
View attachment 128956View attachment 128957

For anyone unfamiliar, these 2 locos are good examples of his work, living in my basement (excuse the crappy photography)

I've read Great Expectations, and I wasn't that impressed.

Nytol!
I haven’t heard from him for quite a while. We were trading calls and texts, emails, and he also belonged to my war gaming group. He resigned his commission, and stopped responding to emails or calls.

Good evening ....

Thanks, everybody for likes and comments on my pictures.

Guy ...... I like the pictures of CN 6007. CN SD40's like that one had snow shields behind the cabs. .... Thanks for you remarks on my pictures. The place in Banff sounds like it was fun.

Tom O .... Thanks for commenting on my track in my pictures.

Karl .... I like those switchers. You said Wheeler did them.

Willie .... Your work with details on buildings is outstanding,

Everybody .... Thanks to each of you for participating in this forum. Your friendship means a lot to me.

Cheers.

I said last year and will say again today. The stock market is not the indicator of the strength of the USA economy no matter who you have voted for in the past or will in the future. So many of the daughters friends have been reduced to one income because of Covid and child care. It is a mess that will get worse. As I stated last week, many of the son’s friends in Austin, Texas with kids ran home to mommy and daddy when Covid hit and their jobs disappeared.

The best indicator for economic strength I've found is the weekly Petroleum Status Report the refinery usage is still only 16million /day and thats rosy number they actually built 15 million refined inventory last week , so they're refining it in faster than its being used. pre 2008 it peaked at ~20-21million /day , the highest its been since is around 17 -18 million /day . Its still a 1 - 1.5 million short of pre Covid levels . Those are summertime peaks( Memorial Day - 4th ) it may not peak this year until August. They have yet to increase domestic production(11 million/day) back to pre Covid levels (13 - 13.5 million/day?) so the demand isn't there .

I think the landlords are the ones who are libel to get screwed in all of this . There's no real incentive for renters to pay back rent . If your landlord do you throw someone out who owes 6 months but is currently paying ? if you do you lose any leverage to get the back rent . Do you wait till August before doing anything , when the students show up for college and need a pad ? I just don't know , It wouldn't surprise me if some of those apartment complexes don't end up on the block . I think if I were renting a house and the renter had not paid , I would seriously be considering selling in the housing market especially with the higher taxes now.

I just think the unsecured debt will keep the economy in check for a while , somebody's got to eat the loss.

The best indicator for economic strength I've found is the weekly Petroleum Status Report the refinery usage is still only 16million /day and thats rosy number they actually built 15 million refined inventory last week , so they're refining it in faster than its being used. pre 2008 it peaked at ~20-21million /day , the highest its been since is around 17 -18 million /day . Its still a 1 - 1.5 million short of pre Covid levels . Those are summertime peaks( Memorial Day - 4th ) it may not peak this year until August. They have yet to increase domestic production(11 million/day) back to pre Covid levels (13 - 13.5 million/day?) so the demand isn't there .

I think the landlords are the ones who are libel to get screwed in all of this . There's no real incentive for renters to pay back rent . If your landlord do you throw someone out who owes 6 months but is currently paying ? if you do you lose any leverage to get the back rent . Do you wait till August before doing anything , when the students show up for college and need a pad ? I just don't know , It wouldn't surprise me if some of those apartment complexes don't end up on the block . I think if I were renting a house and the renter had not paid , I would seriously be considering selling in the housing market especially with the higher taxes now.

I just think the unsecured debt will keep the economy in check for a while , somebody's got to eat the loss.
I remember it takes around 90 days to evict, unless they appeal, then it takes even longer. If a landlord started the process the day the moratorium was lifted, it will still be another three months before they can get the old renters out.

Good morning gang

Coffee, coffee, coffee please!!

Terry, I too have not gotten a response to texts or calls to Jerome. In a way Im glad you had the same result. I thought maybe it was because i had b.o. or something. I do hope everything is alright.

Garry, Jerome did both those switchers. The A&P unit is decorated for his pvt road, the Midland unit is a fantasy unit that he did for me. (The real MMID has no SWs)

Oh and T.G.I.F!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back