Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the Arizona desert at 84f degrees now going to 97. Told my brother on the phone last week that a couple of the Austin restaurants had air conditioners set up in their outdoor eating areas. They were quiet but big. I guess he hit the internet and then a friend who owns a HVAC company in the Valley of the Sun. They will install one on the deck and he can try it out. Glad we will be site seeing today as I can’t handle watching contractors work out West.

Went for a swim a couple hours ago around 6am. The pool temperature was 87 and that is too warm for laps and I am spoiled. His pool might be 40’ long while mine at home is a 100 meter 2 lane lap pool kept at 75 degrees.

The son called last night. He and the g/f are offically over. She got the Cirrus Jet and the hangar as she brought out his 1/2. He has 30 days to find a spot for his plane. Seems when he dropped out of the idea of a jet taxi service as way too risky things got interesting. Turns out her daddy will finance that venture for her alone. He did laugh when he said he will miss the Cirrus Jet but not too sure about missing her!

I am a kid of the 50’s and 60’s with middle class hard working parents. Was there this much money around then? I worked at a Country Club but even there I didn’t see the type of money that seems to be out there now. It’s just crazy traveling the country like Terry and I are able to do in the car and see the huge discrepancies in the type of housing and jobs now out there. I am spoiled because we worked hard to get here. Yeah I know I am blessed with a great wife, super kids and a healthy retirement. My wife is a screaming true liberal but I am beginning to think, or I am going back to her way of thinking about this country. I am a fiscal conservative with liberal leanings (my upbringing) BUT I am going to start ranting so I will stop here. Yes, I know, writing this on a pool deck at a family member’s obscenely expensive home, kind of a hypocrite. Sorry

Tom
for those out East. Picture taken from yesterday’s listings on Railpictures.net
6/6/1981 by Jim Appleman. Harrisburg, Pa. I wish I had seen these run in person
View attachment 128879
I did get to see them run in person but also worked on the in my RR career.

Song, Convoy, by CW McCall.
It was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June…

Exactly...The sixth of June. Therefore June 6, and since the convoy was started....

I figured more would remember the song. It was my goto until "Eastbound and Down" from Smokey and the Bandit. I almost had me a '77 Trans Am. I had the money, until dad said I had to pay for the insurance....A 16 Year old with some money and no job. Needless to say I bought a C10 Pickup a year later.

Greg, little late for me responding to your posts but do you use tick repellent when you are at the cabin. My doctor told me another bout of Lymes diease is worst then the 1st bout. We are not missing Wisconsin yet, but the University has been emailing a big push for season tickets to all the sports. After missing spectators last Covid year I wonder how many $ they lost that they are trying to make up. Our hockey seat prices are up around 12%

Tom:

To answer your question regarding our use of tick repellent....I use Cutters every time I go outside. We just came home from the cabin after a three day weekend and we had lots of ticks even after using Cutter's. Lucky, none of the critter dug into us and we found the ticks on our skin or clothes.

How do you like UW's new AD?

Greg

Tom:

To answer your question regarding our use of tick repellent....I use Cutters every time I go outside. We just came home from the cabin after a three day weekend and we had lots of ticks even after using Cutter's. Lucky, none of the critter dug into us and we found the ticks on our skin or clothes.

How do you like UW's new AD?

Greg

Greg,

while I never liked Barry I respect his accomplishments as a coach and AD. One thing he did was hire the coaches and let them do their jobs. He gave Chris MacIntosh lots of responsibilities and Chris did well with them. I like this hire as he will continue the drive for excellence that Barry and Pat Richter started at the UW. I always prefer hiring former graduates from a university looking to fill positions. It is a good move.

Tom

Last edited:
Good Afternoon all! A rather nice day with sunshine and a pretty good wind. Maybe the ground will dry out a little as I'd like to mow before the grass gets to long.
Thanks to all for the likes on the photo. I continued on with the Majestic Hardware project today. I need a little more patience. The parts are very small, quite fragile and not to forgiving if you make a mistake. I'm especially unhappy with the windows. I will probably need to revisit them later.
Majestic-2.jpg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Howdy ...

Justin.... The trees and gas station look great.

Willie ... You did well with shopping at LHS. The market looks great and the color of the lumber in your picture looks just right to me.

Tom ... I like the GG1 picture.

Hughie ... Your building looks good . I know windows can be a pane , but don’t worry about that.

My 2-10-2 has picked up some freight cars at the head end of the train. Here it is heading west.

Attachments

• 669F9CB5-87E4-4051-AC58-2C91E2BFED84.jpeg
    669F9CB5-87E4-4051-AC58-2C91E2BFED84.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 96
Good afternoon. Been busy again this time trying to get ahead. Checked all the fluids in the car, tire pressures and all of that stuff getting everything together to take off tomorrow morning. Don't think we'll make as many miles as we normally would with a dog along, but maybe we'll be lucky and can coordinate potty breaks. Showing just a bit over 1,600 miles to Pflugerville, Texas. We are hoping to make it to Castle Rock, CO tomorrow night, which is the longest leg of the trip, about 725 miles. Don't look forward to having to go through Denver. The next stop will probably be Sweetwater, TX, which is only 629 miles. That will leave us about 250 miles to go.

Sherrel - I will have to agree that there are still some good people around. The guys that stopped, actually 4 guys, 2 in each truck, were from Georgia. The ladies tried to pay them for their troubles but they refused.

Guy - I do like that antique shop. Using the kits for another purpose is what I have done a few times.

Willie - Interesting photos. Quite an aquatic display. Like the green beans but the steak a lot better. More goodies for the layout. The building under construction is coming right along.

TomO - We're used to the 80 MPH speed limit. It's the same up here. I usually run at or slightly above the speed limit and want Richard Petty wanna be's pass and play rabbit for any smokey hiding in the bushes.

Hughie - Like that Santa Fe steamer photo. Nice work on the building.

Steve - I have seen some videos of some of the clubs in the Twin Cities area. Like the cab ride ones the best.

Terry - That's what we called the "smoke test" working on the radar in the Navy.

Karl - Nice photos. Been a while since were rode the trains at the Grand Canyon. We were lucky enough to get the steamer. The tiller looks like work to me. As I mentioned to Willie, we used to have a pretty good size garden when the kids were young. Had a double extension roto tiller that mounted on the back of our Ariens tractor along with a one bottom plow we used to turn over the garden in the fall. Here's my grandfather with my daughter. Photos are a bit old. She is now in her mid 40's. With just me and the wife we let the garden go to lawn.

thumbnail_20200905_130945.jpg thumbnail_20200905_130928.jpg thumbnail_20200905_130912.jpg thumbnail_20200905_130853.jpgthumbnail_20200905_130826.jpg

Justin - Like the gas station. Had looked at it but was too large for the space I had left. Maybe you don't need that GML throttle. Looks like you have things covered.

Tom in Wisconsin - Love the photo of the GG-1. I am a big fan of electric locomotives having grown up with and having relatives working on the Milwaukee Road here in Montana. At first I thought that Joe might have posted it.

As long as I mentioned the Milwaukee Road, here are a few old photos of and old Athearn switcher that was detailed and custom painted doing what it's supposed to do.

thumbnail_20180211_135743.jpg

thumbnail_20180211_132140.jpg
thumbnail_20190419_103948.jpg
20180211_132706.jpg

Probably won't be on for a few days.

Later

Evening folks!
Just quickly skipped through today's posts; looks like many thoughts and happenings were expressed in the shop.
I was too busy today, and I'm dead tired tonight. Today was pick up 2 loads of cow poop day; all so the wife can pursue her bizarre hobby.
Tomorrow's another day where I'll be busy. I'm wiring a friends garage with new LED lighting and outside plugs. I'll be starting early. So, I might not have time for coffee in the morning.

I heard it snowed in Jasper today, 3hrs west of us. We hardly got a drop of rain, though. - I wanted rain because we are dustbowl dry.

I'm going to drop one old, borrowed photo and be on my way. The only information I have on this photo is that it was taken in 1929 by an unknown photographer, and it's a CNR shop. I didn't realize they had electric gantry cranes that could pick up a locomotive that far back. So, I think the photo is kind of cool:
StCharlesCNR shop_1929.jpg

Have a good one!

Unfortunately my peace of mind has been turned on its side since my last post.
Absolute crap timing, what with July 4th coming up. I learned through my grapevine that the former MILW 156, MILW's one-time Bicentennial SD40-2, is now sitting in a Mervis Recycling scrapyard in Decatur, IL. The last identity of this SD40-2 was Pan-Am MEC 609, seen at the scrapper.
I was really hoping this one would be taken to a good home by people who care. Looking like that may not happen.

I've been raising hell about it everywhere I can, MILW HRA's Facebook, 'Ahead of the Torch'; a group of preservationists, and other places. I don't want to see more MILW cut up, especially my favorite of the bunch. I know the odds suck, but it doesn't cost me anything to get the word out.
IMG_20200628_003149140~2-2.jpg milw 156.jpg milw0156rear.jpg IMG_6661-2.jpg

Second dose of vacine today. Appears the NHL north division teams like to have a long break between series. Jets whitewash the Oilers, Habs return the favor to the Jets ! Only 7C/45F here this am, guessers say cloudy all week, temps barely reaching 20C

Good game last night. Was on a restroom break when the OT goal was scored. Caufield just adds something to the Habs. He grew up in the same rink Joe Pavelski did now of the Dallas Stars. I can’t count the number of goals Joe scored over the years against my son’s team. He spent many a summer day at the house with my kid.

TomO

Good Morning!
45°F under a cloudy sky, but, still not a drop of rain to wet down the town. I believe we are located in some sort of weird weather trough that don't get much rain, because it sure rains in the surrounding areas.

I need to go help my friend soon and wire up his garage, so this is a quick fly-by post.

Hughie - The structure looks good in the photos. I get aggravated doing windows, as well, and find them annoying to do. So you are not alone there.

If I'm in a town that I feel has neat looking buildings, I often stop and take photos. That was the case when I went through Peers, Alberta at the end of May. I think Peers might be no more than a bedroom village, as there's not a-lot going on there.
I took photos of three of the local structures, that may have some value to the modeler:
The general store:
PeersStore_05-31-2021 (1).jpg

The hotel with a tavern that would still be open for business out of the Covid era:
PeersHotel_05-31-2021 (2).jpg

And, the only church I could find in the village:
PeersChurch_05-31-2021 (1).jpg

Gotta go! Have a good one!

Good morning all. Heat wave continues in Minn with no rain in sight - getting serious. Mid 90s again today. Getting July weax in June, maybe June weax in July? We can only hope.

Moved the reefer to the garage last night with wifeykins' help. Had to remove the doors and hinges, but we got it there. Counter installers should be here in about two hours time and the tile guy is on track for rip-out tomorrow. Making progress. After the counters are installed, I then have to plumb up the new sink and faucet. How's the "total trips to the hardware store" pool going? I hardly even count a project as a project unless I go three times! This pastor will no doubt employ words and phrases which he shouldn't, will bang a few knuckles and spill a few drops of blood. Me-n-Jesus will spend some quality time together in consultation (and remorse or using His name in vain ... again!), but water will flow and drain before night's end.

Absolutely crapped out last night about 2000. Didn't drink enough wa-wa yesterday which is not wise nor healthy for even a healthy 61yo. No train work yesterday. Some of you perhaps remember the picture I posted of the anklet I made for said wifeykins. Well, she "threw a shoe" so to speak, meaning a ring snagged on something and came out. Was on track to repair last night, but totally ran out of steam. Got sent to bed at 2030. Feeling much better this morning, and yes, am drinking water as we speak. And here all these years I thought whisky and coffee were the elixirs of life!

Very slim hopes of train work today as I have a 1900 meeting at church which usually goes until 2030 or so. ---- Steve

Good morning from our last Arizona morning till 6/22 when we will be back. Decided to fly home when we were notified that the lady who babysat the daughter for her 1st 8 years and the son’s first 5 passed away. Funerals are open again in Wisconsin so we will attend.

I have the trip of a lifetime opportunity available to me. Terry says she will not come but my brother is going. He has a childhood friend who sells yatchs for a living. He has to deliver 3 from Miami to Sydney, Australia. They will travel together, transit the Panama Canal and into the Pacific. I want to go but not sure I want to ride the Pacific Ocean for so long. Thinking big time (yes it hurts) on this one.

I am in search of, E&C wood chip hoppers, HO scale. If you can sell them for $22USD or less plus shipping I would like to see what you have, any road name
6CCC5352-A3F0-4E0E-8AFE-6D5BD67BF767.jpeg

more music, congrats on the vaccine shot

Karl, that seems crazy but Terry when I just asked said ours went up a few thousand when our kids got on board. Good luck searching

dakotalove39, Steve, saving the engine is easy. Pay the scrap price. The issue is moving it and a place to store it. That movement can cost many thousands of dollars. Good luck and great pictures

guy, a great picture of a beautiful engine

Chet, great pictures, loved the Milwaukee Road and those trees look great. Wonderful pictures of the garden and family

Garry, love engines coming through bridges like your picture, well done

Hughie, love the blue building

to those I missed, hello!

The new A/C machine on the deck is much quieter then the few in Austin we saw. The install guys told me yesterday that they install about 100 a year in private settings. It works fine and then is a definite feelable difference.

enjoy the day
TomO

Hello, Group!
Going to be a lousy day for me - I have been up almost 4 hours already. For some reason I just could not sleep. Could it be that with the Spousal Unit out at her Mom's house, that I just missed her telling me what I should be doing, or what I have not done?

OK - supposed to be 76 today, but it never got above 64 yesterday -- believe it -- I had a fire in the fireplace last evening and it really felt good. The ocean influence can be quite chilling at times.

Hold my coffee this morning .. I'll be back after a while. I feel a nap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back